Guns in England/Australia

sorry for making so many posts but i have so many questions and want to hear your guys’ nuanced thoughts. i really love them. so here’s my question/thought experiment:

what do you think the result would be of introducing guns back into the hands of law-abiding citizens in England/Australia (and many of the other countries that has made gun-ownership a crime)? would it help? i read somewhere that crime is lower in England where guns are banned, but myself having vacationed there to see family (my father is a liberal Brit) i didn’t feel very safe, at least where we stayed. knifing is a HUGE problem there, and i wouldn’t necessarily feel any safer if i was carrying a knife myself. i’m not Chuck Norris here. would reintroducing guns help them out?

2 Likes

because by adding guns, you’re giving the criminals guns as well, sure. but are you not now at least equalized in terms of having a chance at surviving if you yourself are armed? a woman fighting off a big guy with a knife, even if she herself has a knife, doesn’t have much of a chance. but a woman with a glock probably has a chance at surviving an encounter with an armed man, big or not.

2 Likes

(and, btw, carrying a knife, even for self defense, is a crime in england. essentially you are ■■■■■■ in terms of self defense. i think the laws are horrid and put so little trust in the individual.)

2 Likes

“God made mankind, but it was Samuel Colt who made them equal.” Old West Adage

I can’t really say for certain if it would help or not. I’m going to lean towards not, only because it’s been so long that for England that there would not be much in the way of beneficial self defense training involving firearms there. Here in the U.S. you can find self defense training using firearms in every state, some of it low cost, some of it not very low cost. I think the biggest problem is that the laws themselves make Self Defense practically illegal. Sure you might survive the encounter, but you’re going to get arrested and have a record going forward. That’s the kind of thing that happens when the political elite have too much power and nothing to keep them in check.

3 Likes

the laws there do make self defense illegal, essentially. you are allowed to use what’s called a “weapon of opportunity”, which is basically anything you can find to defend yourself against an attacker. you are also allowed to arm yourself with a knife as long as you armed yourself immediately preceding or during an encounter. basically you’d better hope you are near a knife if attacked or you’re ■■■■■■■

i really don’t like their laws on the whole matter, though i doubt anyone signed onto a concealed carry website would either.

2 Likes

The crime rate in London is Higher than the CR in NYC. Put that under “uncomfortable facts for liberals”.

England never had a high rate of civilian ownership and most of the guns that were in private hands were kept locked up in various gun and hunt clubs or on large estates so trying to compare the US to the UK or Australia who also never had higher than 5% Gun ownership is simply a disingenuous tactic by the anti gun left.

Would it help? Hard to say for sure but just the deterrent effect alone should make a big difference but it can’t unless there is a substantial portion of the population owning and carrying.

If your chances are 1:10,000 that the home you are about to invade is going to have firearms and someone willing to use them that’s far less of a deterrent than knowing you have a 1:10 chance of same.

The same applies to carry. Carry only becomes a significant deterrent when the population carrying is high enough to increase the odds that your victim or someone nearby is also going to be armed, willing, and able to intercede.

3 Likes

and it sucks there’s no way of getting stats on how many crimes have been deterred because of the potential of being shot, but i can imagine it’s pretty high. a criminal would rather invade a home with no guns than a home with a gun-owning homeowner, that’s just common sense.

2 Likes

Both Kleck and Lott using different methodologies in studies a decade apart came up with a number of around 70% of incarcerated felons having been deterred in the past by the mere knowledge of someone being armed.

3 Likes

“facts that make liberals uncomfortable”

2 Likes

I think at first you will see a spike in shootings (mostly defensive shootings where the would be victim fights back) but one a few years pass and the criminals realize there is now a higher risk to robbing/rapping someone it will likely drop dramatically.

1 Like