Safe Gun Storage in a 2011 Chevy Impala

Does anyone here drive an old Impala and have figured out how to use a gun safe that stays out of sight? This car is anti-gun safe, I swear! Because of the power seat mechanisms, you can’t put a small safe under the seats. You can’t put a safe between the seat and the center console because there is zero space; the seats touch the center console. You can’t put a safe in the center console (that I’ve found) because it’s too small, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to secure the safe to prevent a thief from walking off with it. You can’t put a safe in the glove box because there is nothing to secure a tether to prevent someone from walking off with the safe. I looked into the headrest safe, but they will stick out like sore thumbs because of the color and size mismatch of my car’s seat interior (a very light tan). My only option seems to be in the trunk, and that seems like a terrible option because anyone can see me transfer from holster to safe and vice versa. I’m thoroughly out of ideas here. Please help!

3 Likes

Unless you’re wanting a trunk mounted safe, you’ll be hard pressed to find a console safe for a car. For my vehicle I have a locking rack in trunk for a shotgun, but had similar issue for having to discreetly lock up my carry piece. I purchased an aftermarket magazine pouch big enough to drop a cheap safe into, ran the tether from a side hole in bottom of bag and attached it to the seat rail. That way I just had to reach behind passenger seat, pull out safe and deposit my piece, then put it back in the pouch before exiting the vehicle.

3 Likes

Which pouch and safe did you use? And honestly I still don’t love that because people can see that if they peak in my untuned windows and it will be at my passengers feet… but if it’s that or a trunk safe it’s gotta be that

1 Like

Search for a safe that will replace the glove box.

4 Likes

@Alexander63 It looks like the trunk is going to be your only option.

2 Likes

Looks can be deceiving

1 Like

Have you driven a Ford lately?

4 Likes

I looked but nothing is compatible with the Impala

1 Like

I was actually able to get it to slip under my passenger seat because it’s not a power seat. Had to go from the back though because the front has the adjustment bar that got in the way so the safe wouldn’t fit

1 Like

Brother, It’s called a ‘SHOULDER HOLSTER!’ Don’t leave home without it! —There fixed it! NEXT!

1 Like

There are a couple of companies out there that make custom car/truck gun safes (mostly for center console or inside the driver’s side drawer). Suggest getting a hold of them…doesn’t hurt to ask.

1 Like

Brother Alexander,
That’s (2011) is not an old Impala, This is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 1966 ‘SS’

@Alexander63 Glad you were able to find a way.