Feedback on Hornady Vehicle Rapid Safe

I have the misfortune of regular doctor visits and visits to other gun-free zones. My car has subwoofers under the front seats, so there’s no space for a Nano or Micro Vault type safe. I have yet to see a console safe for it probably because the console is too small. I currently have at least one Nano Vault back at the hatchback (under a “tonneau cover”), but shifting the gun from pocket/holster to safe while standing out in the open is less than ideal.

The Hornady Vehicle Rapid Safe (the one with the pump-up bladder) caught my eye recently, but it’s fairly expensive, so I’m a bit cautious. I’d love to hear from present and past users about the good and bad of the system.

• Are there similar safes that are alternative to it? (one that would fit in the same space at the console)
  • Do you still use it? (Why or why not?)
  • What problems (if any) did you experience?
  • How visible is it from the outside?
  • Which side of the console did you install it?
  • Do you also have a Rapid Safe in the house?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

1 Like

The real issue with designs like that is the leash cable can be defeated fairly quickly and easily.
Don’t know what type of vehicle you have, but have you considered a console safe?

1 Like

Like I said, I have yet to find a console safe for my older CRV - The Console is pretty small, so an insert is unlikely and it’s old enough that I doubt I’ll find a replacement safe.

1 Like

CRV is tough to find anything. Good luck.

1 Like

brother i know your pain. i have been searching for a center console safe for my GMC Terrain with no luck. seen a few for other GMC SUV’s but not mine.

3 Likes

Here’s a possible work-around …

1. Get a decent sized firearm safe for your trunk (or wherever) that is properly secured to the vehicle
  2. Get a small bag or pouch to put in your console… I suggest something NOT “tacticool” looking.
  3. When you need to lock your firearm up, you can take the firearm and holster and put it in the bag/pouch while still seated in your car

Now you can get out of your car to put the bag/pouch into your safe.

4 Likes