S&W M&P 9 2.0 Compact: Slide Release Problem?

Thought I’d share this head. Long story short, do what you want.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure I’m giving up a little bit on concealability but as I’ve gotten much more comfortable carrying and concealing, I’ve been able to get more comfortable with firearms larger than the Shield (e.g., Sig P320 Compact, Walther PDP compact) so I think I’ll be ok with the M&P compact. I used to struggle even with the Shield, as I’ve only been carrying for about a year. For a while I couldn’t even carry the Shield IWB - part of that was not having clothing and belts that fit properly, but even with those it took me a while to get used to.
An instructor I’ve been working with suggested that racking the slide by hand was the method he preferred to teach his students, because it’s a gross motor skill as opposed to a fine motor skill (using the slide release with your thumb) and fine motor skills suffer more in a high-stress situation. But he said if you are already in the habit of using the slide release, just make sure you consistently use one way or the other every time.

3 Likes

Shield was my first gun. I had the same issues like you said, it’s funny cause I struggled to conceal a shield with a flush mag, and now I carry a 19X. Like you said, it’s all about figuring out your gear, clothes, and getting comfortable.

I’ve heard this before. The biggest argument to this is pulling the trigger is a fine motor skill. I like to use the slide release. It’s faster. I’ve done it so many times, I’m not going to mess it up.

I do think there’s an argument for going over the top for simplifying manipulating the gun. If you’re clearing a jam, you have to go over the top.

When I carried the shield, I only went over the top. Now I have guns where the slide release works and it’s so much faster. It really doesn’t matter in my opinion. There’s a good vid on this from Warrior Poet Society.

I don’t carry a spare mag much anymore since I carry 17+1 (that’s a whole other conversation). If I’m having to reload after 18 rounds, I may need to reevaluate some things :joy::rofl:.

I’m not an instructor though, so take my thought it’s a grain of salt.

3 Likes

You won’t need the (slide release) with one in the chamber, after you empty the magazine/clip​:grin: if the gun is hot and you’re in a situation where you reload in a hurry the slide release will work… try it out. I’ve had every version of shield and once their hot they’re hot … except gen one , trigger sucked :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the comments! Went to the range today, and practiced loading a new magazine several times . Found it quicker to slingshot the slide rather than trying to release with the “slide stop”. Gun is still new, so will continue to practice.

5 Likes

Oh, yeah. That’s why I prefer to have my shirttail or a MOLLE tab discharge my handgun.

I know some folks prefer to use their index finger, but that’s a fine motor skill I could never hope to learn to apply in a stressful situation. The shirttail method is of course much simpler now that manual safeties have gone out of fashion. Maybe I should teach a class. :worried:

1 Like

Had a brain fart during my response way above…talking about the release being a stop, and being too far forward to effectively thumb. I found my m+p .45c 2.0 today, figured it being a good day to charge the olight on it, and just realized I was looking at the takedown lever :roll_eyes:. The slide stop has been renamed a slide release, on my gun anyways, easy reach with my thumb, and the design is better than a stock Glock for sure. Guess I should shoot this gun more :+1:.At least it was the gun with my third olight on it, wasn’t positive on that, and found it in an ammo can I usually have my .22lr pistols in…hmmm.
We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

3 Likes

I wondered how short your thumbs were. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hey, that comment got 5 likes :joy:
giphy

2 Likes

So I’ve had my M&P 2.0 Compact for a few weeks now and made a few trips to the range. I’d say that while it’s a bit tighter than some other guns I own (P320, Walther PDP), I think that the slide release on the M&P 2.0 is much easier to use than the Shield that I owned (2.0 Performance Center version). I hadn’t realized before that it’s an ambi release - I don’t necessarily think that’s the best way to use it, but when I did try releasing it with my thumb and index finger together, it doesn’t require a whole lot of effort. I also like that the 15+1 gives me as many rounds as I had with my Shield with the 7+1 and a spare 8-round mag.

2 Likes

I just ran across this again today, and thought I would stick it in the hopper in case I want to find it again. :wink:

Julie Golob – M&P9c slide lock release with weak hand thumb at 0:55

1 Like

Thanks! I took my M&P 9C to the range this weekend, and did test out the slide lock (release) again. It will release the slide, but is more stiff/ stubborn than other guns I own. But it does work. It’s just easier to slingshot or go over the top.

1 Like

While I expect it might depend on the individual gun how much it might smooth up with use (and how much the shooter actually cares about thumb release), it might be important to point out that — when experimenting or doing dry fire reloads — thumb release will be much, much more difficult with an empty magazine.

Not just the catch on the slide, but the magazine spring pushing the follower up, are both telling the slide lock to not let go. Use a dummy round to fool the gun for this manipulation, if a live round is not appropriate for the exercise at hand. I prefer to not let the slide slam on an empty gun anyway.

1 Like