S&W Equalizer

5 Likes

I got the email a couple of days ago too.

My first guess is it is the S&W version of a Glock 43 with shield arms 15 round magazines. I like the concept they have produced.

Should there be one under the Christmas tree next month, or wait and see if there are bugs to work out??

Spare magazines, holsters, accessories

4 Likes

I like it except for that blackstrap safety, couldn’t stand it on my EZ 380.
The trigger shoe, grip angle, slide serrations, and 3 different magazine capacities.:+1:
And I’m a Shadow Systems fan

3 Likes

I don’t understand the gripe about the grip safety? Nobody complains about them on a 1911 and it seems like if you had proper hand placement on the grip, it should work flawlessly.

I’ve never held a S&W with that big honking grip safely though. Is it heavily spring loaded and requires thoughtful force to compress it?

3 Likes

On my 1911 I have never had an issue, maybe I had a defect in the EZ safety.

4 Likes

I suppose one could put a lighter spring in the grip safety, but then you are no longer carrying a factory unmodified firearm.

4 Likes

They’re a little late to the game, aren’t they? Are micro’s still hot on the market? I received the email a few days ago as well. I looked at it, because
well
that’s what I do, sadly. I had to think a moment
what playing field are they leveling? lol. And then I deleted the email. Ever since I purchased the Ruger LCPII, I haven’t been interested in another micro, no pun intended.

5 Likes

I think it’s somewhere between a micro and a compact, 3.6 in barrel. Like a dinner jacket pistol😀

5 Likes

Yeah, but i can’t deal with that price point. Well, see, even now I’m trying to justify the expenditure, when I have already said, I’m not interested. lol.

4 Likes

Truthfully, I don’t have a problem with grip safety. As you have stated, you’ve got to get a good purchase on the grip anyway, issue averted. Whatever it is, we have to “train through it.” Or simply choose a different firearm.

4 Likes

Four tanks of diesel fuel at $150 each is $600 now. Seems like you’re getting a lot more for your $500 buying from S&W.

3 Likes

The reason I don’t own a 1911. I don’t like external safeties, especially grip safeties. I agree with you that there is no issue getting a proper grip; it’s just that the more moving parts there are, the greater the chance of mechanical failure.

I still remember my father’s comment from when I was very little about not trusting safeties because they can fail. That was also noted in my first firearm training class where it was stated that safeties are mechanical devices that can fail. Therefore, one cannot rely on a “safety” to keep one (and others nearby) safe. So, even with a “safety”, one still needs to adhere to the firearm safety rules that are designed to keep us safe.

5 Likes

People do complain about them on 1911’s, and some people (controversially) pin them down on their 1911’s.

Proper hand placement and strength is great, but in a life or death fight might not always be possible and it’s just one other thing that can break/go wrong.

From my perspective I have a Shield Plus OR and I see 0 reason to even look at anything else (nor do I yet see a reason to recommend different to anyone else)

4 Likes

If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

3 Likes

Limp wristing could leave you in a jamb too. If it’s that much of a concern I’d suggest a double action revolver.

3 Likes

EVERYONE has the right to choose whatever they want. If one type or configuration is not suitable, there are other choices to consider. As it pertains, if enough concern is raised to the manufacturer and the cost/benefit analysis agrees with a rising legitimate concern then they may perhaps opt to initiate a change to their product, the change being advantageous to all concerned, but not necessarily at the whims of a few. Nonetheless, the ability to choose is not hindered. It’s a known fact that the Semi-Automatic Pistols while having many Pros, also shares many Cons, and among them are those which makes the gun more susceptible to malfunction. i.e., more moving parts, e.g., the grip safety being a moving part. “So, malfunctions are more common when compared to selecting a revolver. The “operator” “must learn” how to clear these malfunctions. Field stripping for cleansing and maintenance is more complex and involves multiple parts that must be removed. Based on size or hand strength, some people may find it difficult to rack a semi-automatics slide which will be required for initial loading and when clearing malfunctions (CCHDF page 83).”

“The good news is that many of the most popular manufacturers offer a whole range of handguns that are virtually identical in look, shape, and function, but that come in different sizes.” “As mentioned, when “choosing” a personal carry firearm, there are going to be trade-offs (CCHDF, page 82).”

Not one time did I pontificate on what someone should do accept to exercise their right to “choose.” It’s not about anyone’s feelings or what is thought about particulars, because thoughts and feelings are unreliable, and are a wrong metric to use in decision making. Why? Because they come and go as the wind blows. They are unreliable at best if not backed by evidence, as it pertains.

I ascribe to the USCCAs training methodology and it’s what I teach, by and large. Though there are other schools of thought and methodologies, and many others I have also experienced; I have “chosen” the USCCA curriculum. My signature and certification number are affixed to every Certificate that I issue proving that having adopted the aforementioned, I stand by what I teach. And should I ever have to give an account for someone else’s independent actions, I’ll be able to prove the misalignment.

Upon this board, I have exhibited nothing short of respect for everyone’s experience and opinions because my core belief is that we can all learn from each other, even if it’s what not to do. In either case, I come from a place of respect for your person and for your contribution. So, let me be the first to say, that if somewhere along the way someone feels disrespected, due to some inquiry made by me, that I may understand the point(s) or opinion(s) that you’ve shared more clearly; I am indubitably repentant and most timorously seek your pardon. That is not my intent, ever.

Now, as for me running with big dogs, I don’t run with them; I lead them. I am the big dog that sits on my own porch, and in the streets that I roam. Here endeth the lesson.

4 Likes

Amen!

I really need to go hold one of these and see for myself what people are complaining about.

I would think S&W got feedback before putting it into production. One would hope they got opinions from little old ladies with their ez series but what do I know.

3 Likes

Some websites make you click a button to say you are at least 21 years old before proceeding.

I’m running with the assumption that everyone reading here is an adult.

And I would use the running with the big dogs expression in front of elementary school children. It’s nothing obscene or vulgar about it. As each day progresses I seem to encounter more and more people with lotion hands.

Enjoy your freedom while we still have some left.

3 Likes

I only carry guns that I “limp wrist” at the range as much as I dare (as far as I can go without risking literally dropping the gun or shooting someone next to me) and they still work. I shoot my carry guns weak hand only with weak range ammo and they work even held weak, or they aren’t my carry guns.

I do firmly believe that if you can “limp wrist” a gun it shouldn’t be carried.

And I won’t carry a gun with a grip safety either.

5 Likes

“Every advantage has a disadvantage.”
Barry54

2 Likes