Run, Hide, or Fight

There is a moral and ethical question here, you are right about that. That was my problem with the scenario, not judging the decision others might make, but how would I feel later if I did nothing and others died? What a luxury to contemplate these things after the event while victim’s families are planning funerals.

4 Likes

There is a moral/legal/ethical dilemma that we all face in deciding whether to protect other people, especially people we don’t know. You rarely have a legal duty to protect others and doing so can create significant legal consequences. On the other hand, can you live with yourself if you do nothing?

Here is an updated story about the tragic death of Kitty Genoese in 1964 that begs the question, could she have been saved?

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/truth-kitty-genovese-article-1.1706942

6 Likes

Call me selfish, but if others need protection, they should carry their own weapon. The aftermath hassle of a defense shooting is more than I’d be willing to go through for someone not of my own family or very close circle.

3 Likes

Brionna Taylor’s house guest?

2 Likes

Police were not using excessive force when they were executing the warrant at Taylor’s apartment. After they knocked several times and yelled police, they used a battering ram to take the door. After entering the apartment, they were fired upon with one officer hit in the leg and the entering officers returned fire. That was not excessive force.

One officer, covering the back of the building, fired 10 rounds blindly through a window. He did not hit Taylor but several of his rounds went through the wall and into a neighbor’s apartment. He is the one who was fired and since indicted for wanton endangerment. His use of his weapon would also have been justified but for the fact that he did not visualize a target when he was firing his weapon.

There is also a question of fact as to whether Walker, Taylor’s house guest, fire at the police or if it was Taylor. In his first statement to police, Walker said “She fired at them first.” He later changed his story. I also have information that Taylor had powder residue on her hand from several sources which would corroborate the fact that SHE FIRED FIRST!”

I have to disagree. Excessive force happens but it is much less pervasive then you may think. When arresting a suspect, police may use any reasonable force necessary to effectuate the arrest. There is a lot that goes into what force is necessary to effect and arrest.

9 Likes

Not to quibble but not really a “Castle Doctrine” State if it doesn’t apply in & outside. Taxachusetts is not a gun friendly state.

2 Likes

Like you and others have said, “Maybe and it Depends”. But a terrorist/lunatic shooter I’d protect my family and myself first and then if able, take the shot. An armed robbery not so much…but maybe. An attack like road rage or mob etc.,you feel your life is endangered? Absolutely.

3 Likes

Im happy I was able to get my LTC here. Its all up to local cops if they say yes or no! I had to convince them I needed protection. Not in words but in attitude the message was “Now little lady, what do you want a gun for? We’ll give you a hunting license and leave it at that.” Um, no. Not what I want or what I asked for. It’s Cape Cod. Still very ‘small town’ America. But, I stood up for myself and got my LTC.

5 Likes

While it’s almost always legal to use deadly force in defense of others who are under life threatening attack, there’s always legal risk, dependent on the specific situation. For example, if a stray bullet from your gun hits an innocent person, and you’re in a super blue jurisdiction… odds are SOMEONE will try to screw you legally. Point is, make sure you’re proficient in accuracy, and only act as drastically as you believe you absolutely have to. There is a time to tuck tail and run, but if you feel the situation is extreme, you might feel morally bound to do whatever is necessary. Just train, be mentally and physically right, and then pray nothing every happens. What more can you do honestly.

5 Likes

@Tyler35 I love how you summarized this for me. My lesson learned in this discussion is this: train, know your laws, know your weapon, use the best decision making possible while fight or flight is activated. Using my intuition, my moral compass, in addition to situational awareness and (hopefully) expertise will guide me to the right reaction in any given situation. More importantly, pray I never have to be in that situation.

6 Likes

I agree. Thinking that if one of my loved ones is in a place of criminal terror, that I would want someone to intervene if possible and save innocent lives.

5 Likes

I am not sure I could live with myself if I was in that situation and did not try to stop the shooter to protect lives. Now if the Shooter had an AR15 or another semi automatic rifle and I only had my pistol with one clip I would have to do some soul searching. Especially if I could see the shooter had additional magazines which you would assume would be the case. It would be very difficult for me to leave knowing many others would die and I might be able to save some.

5 Likes

And the law, again is not on your side😡

3 Likes

There is no dishonor in failure only in failing to do nothing. A person should not regret the things they didn’t do. That’s a hard memory.

4 Likes

I agree with what you are saying… however, liberal DAs and PDs don’t care about people. They care about power and control. MANY of these leftists would rather people die than be defended with a firearm (except in the hands of the government). I would be very hard pressed to defend anybody but my own family and friends. We, the armed citizen, should get the exact same consideration as a police officer who defends him/herself.

4 Likes

In a situation where it is a clear danger and it is a shooter, (meaning, it is a shooter shooting randomly or not, but without cause… and not someone defending themselves or an officer dealing with an armed criminal)…

You have choices. You can engage, if you do not have an easy and safe means of escape, or if you do and you know some of the others and they are your friends, but you need to be aware of the danger to them and you.
If you can escape easily and safely, that might be the best option.

Not to sound cold, but survival is perhaps the overarching theme.

I knew an individual who recommended in a scenario of a hand grenade… find the LARGEST person you can and hide behind them. Get as far away as possible and hit the ground, but always look to see if there is some cover (and yes, he considered others as potential cover {This was dealing more with foreign nations and civil unrest and civil war and terrorism})

Hate to say it, but it depends. And I know that sounds like a sell out answer.

2 Likes

Not a sell out at all. There is not an all or nothing answer in these scenarios. It really does depend. That’s what makes it complex legally, morally, and in the context of survival. All things considered in the space of those seconds, who knows?
Thank you for your thoughts.

4 Likes