Rugar PC 9mm

Anyone familiar with this rifle? I currently do not own a rifle. I’m interested in getting an AR-15, but I ran across this gun and I like the idea of shooting 9mm (cheaper ammo, gun is more affordable). Seems like a viable home defense option to me as well (even though I’d probably still go for my handgun).

3 Likes
3 Likes

If you have access to an outdoor range with 100+ yard targets, I really suggest a rifle caliber… especially if you enjoy target shooting, and the fact that you don’t yet own a rifle. It’s a different beast for range, power, and accuracy… IMO, a totally different experience.

2 Likes

I get that. This is kind of what gets me. I could shoot this gun at my normal range 2 minutes from my house. I could still shoot a larger caliber rifle there but I would have to rent a private suite and the range only goes 18yards out. Now there is a range that’s probably about 45 min - an hour out (not too bad for occasional fun). It would be much more accessible for me to grab a 9mm carbine and shoot it at a traditional lane along with my handguns.

It’s not really a huge deal. Price isn’t too bad either. I think if I carried glocks I’d do it for sure since it takes the glock mags. My brother did get a R700, I’m going to shoot his and see how it is as well.

I want one of these…if they ever make it to accept 92FS mags. Until then, I LOVE my Beretta CX4.

1 Like

As mentioned in the video, these are basically similar to Ruger 10/22s chambered in 9mm vs .22lr. That design is tried and true, so having the option to run pistol style magazines is the icing on the cake.

1 Like

I absolutely love mine. I actually have the version from 30 years ago as well as the new takedown version.

A Blast to shoot for sure. And should be a great HD gun.

3 Likes

Awesome to hear! I’m going to start saving up for one. I really think this will be the best rifle for me. Welcome to the community!

People are light on identifying the topic they’re commenting on!

Jeffrey loves his what?

Scout saving up for one what?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I own this and love it! Put the Glock mag well in. Shoots smooth. Bit of a chore to clean but search YouTube for how-tos. I plan on upgrading mine with m-lok handrail. Also have a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on it and may grab Juliet 3 magnifier in near future. Use case for me: Home Defense and SHTF.

1 Like

If I was to go out on a limb, I would say they are talking about the Ruger PC 9… :grinning:

1 Like

I want one… PCC guns are a lot of fun, and it should push a little more power out of the 9mm round than a pistol if used for HD. Probably better caliber rifles for HD, but I think the 9mm will get it done, and be a great range shooting/training gun.

1 Like

Paul Harrel has a video where his Barreta cx4 storm 9mm went through body armor. I’m sure it’s far from as effective as a rifle caliber, but the velocity is significantly greater coming out of a longer barrel.

2 Likes

Thank you. The information is always need and priceless.

William

1 Like

If anyone’s interested, I used to go to Ballistics By The Inch website to see barrel length effects on velocity. Some of the info is getting a little old, but the Corbon 124 gr+P out of an 18" barrel generated roughly the same power as a 4" 357 magnum.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Jeffrey! :wave:

1 Like

What would be cool is if they made a PC compatible with S&W.

My Second choice would be the S&W Sport 2. But I’m still leaning twards the Ruger.

Sorry, I am new to this forum thing. I love my Ruger PC 9

1 Like

Just saw this on the Ruger website… Also, “Integrated rear 7075-T6 aluminum picatinny rail allows for the mounting of Picatinny-style rail brace mounts.” And, “Interchangeable magazine wells for use of common Ruger® and Glock® magazines. Ships with SR-Series™ and Security-9® pistol magazine well installed and an additional magazine well accepting Glock® magazines is included*.”

I’d love to see this for the 5.7.

Ruger PC Charger

2 Likes