RING DOORBELL

So I’m planning on getting a ring doorbell camera to put on the front of the door.

The problem is in my lease agreement it states “No nails and/or screws, fastening devise or adhesive materials”

The ring doorbell comes with an adhesive mount so it won’t damage the door as bad as a screw or nail but it’ll leave residue and take some of the wood off the door.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the mechanical and electrical requirements of the various Ring devices, but is there anything magnetic within a reasonable distance? Steel door, address sign, or decorative element? If it’s for caller to interact with instead of just surveillance, you might have to settle for an image of whoever walks off with it. Good luck.

2 Likes

Also… Ring (Amazon) owns the copyright to YOUR videos, BUT, will allow you to use the videos for a monthly fee… I’d find another doorbell camera than Ring. Mine is from Honeywell and is called SkyBell.

4 Likes

Talk to leasing Company. Let them clearly write (email) what they think about Ring Doorbell.
Some Companies (as my Association) allow camera / doorbell installation as long as it matches door’s color and does not make the building’s front looks unsightly.

3 Likes

If you use the adhesive from 3M Command Strips, that will allow you to easily remove the Ring device when you move.

3 Likes

CYA - ask the landlord for permission to mount the device before you do it. Get everything in writing.

2 Likes

If they deny the request ask them to put that in writing!

4 Likes

Looks like Ring has an option that uses something similar to command strips

3 Likes

Ring makes a camera that you could hang up in the corner? Would they count that differently?

3 Likes

Blink camera system goes to your electronic device whether it is a computer or your phone. I use my phone. I can download the videos on my phone then onto my computer too. Just an option!

3 Likes

I have a Ring doorbell. It actually assisted me in identifying some mischievous behavior last year. Showed it to a Sheriff’s Deputy. She identified the culprits in a few minutes.

As far as privacy concerns, if you’re online right now you are being tracked.

Stay safe.

3 Likes

Do you have an existing doorbell? I was able to mount my Ring doorbell using the existing holes. The mount came with the camera.

If it’s a wired doorbell, it also uses that same wires to power the unit.

4 Likes

No there’s no wired doorbell I’d have to go with the battery operated one.

1 Like

Haven’t rented for years however as stated above ask your owner sometimes it’s not a big deal but has to stay if you move out.

2 Likes

I would have no problem with it staying as long as it’s added to the deposit.

2 Likes

Hmmm it stays you get nothing. Not your property. Unless you can repair damage of course.

2 Likes

Not a big fan of Ring, it is a good product but you do not own the video (Amazon Does). May not matter to you just wanting a video doorbell.

3 Likes

What cameras have better resolution? Ring is basically just a deterrent and an alert for me. If I needed it to ID anybody, there’s mo way unless that walked up to the camera and started at it.

2 Likes

I live in a high rise that has cameras in all public spaces. the front doors are accessed from an interior hallway which is coded. there is 24 hour security. I don’t worry much about the hours I’m not home & I’m retired also so my wife & I or both of us are usually home & armed to the teeth, Not much use for a Ring however, If I still had my house, I would get one. No reason not to.

1 Like