Restoring rights one person at a time!

It was a good week. I got a call form a person soon after the courts closed due to the pandemic. He has been able to purchase weapons but Kentucky State Police would not issue a CCL because the proceedings. With Kentucky Courts reopening, I was ale to file a petition to have the gentlemen’s gun rights restored after having his mother petition the court for a mental Inquest Warrant in 2006. He was picked up on the warrant and released the same day after being evaluated and the petition not upheld.
My client asked if he would have to pay to reapply. After talking to the judge who agreed his rights were never taken away from him by the court, I submitted an order requiring KSP to process the previously denied application with no additional costs. The judge agreed and signed the order as tendered.

Order restoring rights_Redacted.pdf (197.5 KB)

21 Likes

Thanks for the DOCs Mike I appreciate it

1 Like

Thx @MikeBKY for optimistic news :+1:

2 Likes

NIce to hear.

2 Likes

That’s what scares me about those sorts of filings @MikeBKY. I also think it’s why alot of people who might need help won’t go get it because they worry about losing their gun rights.

Good on you @MikeBKY

5 Likes

Hi there I’m new to this membership and I was wondering if anybody could help me out and maybe point me in the right direction I had got in a lil trouble and was charged with a minor felony none violent and after 5years I got my self back into court and got it dropped to misdemeanor and then dismissed from my record I recently tried to buy a shotgun to go hunting and was denied and they informed me I need to get my gun rights reinstated???

2 Likes

Welcome to the COmmunity @Michael504! You need to look at your state laws to see about having your charges expunged. I would suggest that you contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where the infraction occurred to see about getting your rights restored. The process varies by state.

3 Likes

It is all off my record I can carry a firearm I just can’t purchase them

2 Likes

You know that my experience with that is IMO I believe that a Felony never goes away. It is ashamed that people change their lives and are forgiven by GOD but man does not forgive.I pray that you are able to get your right to carry back since it was dropped to a misdemeanor. Hold your head up brother and welcome to our family. we have a good attorney network that may guide you in the right direction.

1 Like

Then it is not all off your record.

2 Likes

It is cuz if it wasn’t I would have either got arrested yesterday or my gun confiscated cuz I had a bad in counter with some guys leaving a local shooting range the they were drunk threatening me and Gf and my daughters life drew there guns on me and towards my truck where my gf and baby where in and I was finials able to de escalate the situation by the time the sheriffs got there and they ran my name and everything came back clear this is the reason I got my UScca membership cuz I was very close to that situation where I had to protect my family against 4 armed men threatening our lives

2 Likes

There is no federal law that specifically addresses who can purchase firearms but they address who can possess them. If you are being flagged by NICS, then there is likely something there that says you cannot possess a firearm. I’m not saying they are right, just that there is a flag somewhere.
Also, the fact that you had an encounter with police does not mean that they did a records check to see if you can legally possess a firearm. You can check with local authorities to see if you can get a copy of your record. This is often done by the Sheriff’s office.

2 Likes