Legal advice

Hi everyone, I’m new here I’ve been very passionate about my second amendment rights for a long time how ever I made a life changing mistake in my past that has been haunting me,long story short I caught a bad rap and before then I’ve never got into any trouble, I couldn’t afford a lawyer at the time and the public defender told me to plead guilty and my charge would drop to a misdemeanor, so I did and he lied I caught a felony charge back in 2004,I was placed on 3 years supervised probation and completed it successfully, I currently work for the State of Louisiana Dept of transportation as a Highway Foreman and my wife and I have to daughters we are raising and we’re very active in our Church, but money is tight I’ve been praying that I can find someone to help me get my record expunged and get my gun rights restored, it’s been 13 years and I can legally possess a gun in Louisiana any advise or help would be very appreciated, thanks

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But I think in Louisiana you get your rights back after 10 years. Then you apply to the different municipalities involved, pay a fee and get your rights restored and your record expunged.

Maybe use the find an attorney app on the USCCA page and ask them for advice.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing as much research as I can thank you very much I really appreciate it

1 Like

YEA! Another Louisianian!

What parts you from or live @ anyway?

I’m in Shreveport!

1 Like

This is not legal advise:

I’m sorry for what you’re having to deal with! May I ask what type of felony?

Now, I’m nearing law-school to practice law in Louisiana with this said, I’m familiar with portions of law and you might be in luck today.

FIRST: Always hire an experienced attorney here in Louisiana…
Second: Go to your Parish Court Website and see if they have an expungement doc printable. Here in Caddo they have a form you can print yourself.[Needs to be on legal paper && if not call clerk of court office]
Third: Go to Local Law Library and do some extensive studying.
Fourth: File the expungement form with all court fees with the District Attorney’s office.
Note: All expungements are not approved and again, you should have a licensed attorney help you out & make sure those get rightfully filed with the courts .

1 Like

@Zavier_D is right but that depends on the type of charges you have.

Hammond, La

1 Like

Intent to distribute, I had 3 Xanax pills and they charged me with that,I’ve never been in trouble before then

1 Like

Hold up!
Was it three left in your prescription bottle and you just had them filled [Other words: Three left way before time because that would equal that charge] or just three random Xanax tablets?

But either way can relate…

As a juvenile, I got mixed up in very similar stuff but again was a kid.

----> IF it’s just that, I have a friend that got caught with .2 (not even a half gram) of marijuana and unfortunately he had a scale, therefore. intent…

GOOD news is five years && lots of money later he was able to get his rights back. FOR THE RECORD, that guy is very, very successful [more so than myself] and it’s like it never happend. He carries everywhere!

BUT! Let’s ask an attorney [Practices in Kentucky but sure he knows what you’re looking at] @MikeBKY, can you point our friend in the right direction kind, sir!

I did a little research on LA expungement law and bumped into a possible snag. In the following link from the LA State Bar Association, it lists several things that and expungement will not do. One of those is restore firearms rights. https://lasc.libguides.com/c.php?g=464003&p=3171921
The effect of an expungement in LA is a lot different than in KY.
But, I am also reading that 10 years after you complete your sentence, including any probationary period, and have your record expunged, you can legally possess a firearm under both LA and US law.
I would suggest you speak with an attorney licensed in Louisiana to discuss this in more detail. Here is a place to start. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/attorneys/?us-state=Louisiana

3 Likes

This is exactly why I call on my brother @MikeBKY!!!

I have another question for you @MikeBKY
If you saw that snag in the law, would my friend have been breaking the law?

The issue is now, I can’t recall exactly what he did…He may have done a diversion program and it was like never there…

I only obtained what info he passed to me.

1 Like

This idea may be far-fetched…
But @Lance5, why don’t you along with two-three witnesses’ [That can speak for your character]who can account for life change shoot for a governor exanaration.

Believe it or not, Edwards has done MANY of them…
More than the average governor which is normally like one MAYBE in office. He’s done like 30+ if not mistaken.

1 Like

@Randall318 I really have no way of telling. If he was convicted of a felony and has not had that expunged or pardoned, then he probably cannot possess a firearm. If he purchased one from an FFA and went through NICS, I would assume he is OK. And a lot of this depends on whether he was convicted, diverted or the plea was set aside. If the conviction is diverted or set aside, there is usually not a problem once the dismissal takes place.

I have no idea what the process for an expungement or a pardon is in LA but I know that an expungement is much easier to get in Kentucky than a pardon, unless it is a crime that cannot be expunged and a pardon is the only possibility.

1 Like

A pardon is more like a gamble…
But would hate for him to hire a lawyer and not get his right back.

1 Like

I hate when people make a stupid mistake in life and learn from it but are punished long after serving their sentence. Good luck!

I am also in Louisiana, West Monroe area.

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of research and after 10 years of completion of probation in Louisiana for a first time felon I can legally possess a firearm per Louisiana law but I can’t purchase a firearm,when I completed my probation 13 years ago my probation officer told me I was eligible to get my gun rights restored after 10 years,I got my civil rights restored about 5 years ago

3 Likes

You need to go through the expungement process and that should resolve the issue with federal law.

1 Like

@MikeBKY thank you very much for the information

2 Likes

We still on after this virus passes, right bro?!!

1 Like