I’m No Longer A Felon conviction set-aside, certificate of second chance, and gun rights restored

Title: Restoring Firearm Rights After a Felony Conviction in Arizona: A Step-by-Step Guide

Regaining your firearm rights after a felony conviction can be a complex process, but it’s not impossible. In Arizona, the Superior Courts can set aside your conviction, granting you a second chance and the ability to own firearms again. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate this process.

Disclaimer: This guide is for informational purposes only. It’s essential to consult with an attorney or legal expert to ensure compliance with current laws and regulations.

Step 1: Eligibility Check
Before proceeding, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria for having your conviction set aside. Generally, this includes completing your sentence, probation, and restitution requirements.

Step 2: Obtain Court Documents
Contact the Superior Courts in Arizona to obtain the necessary court documents to set aside your conviction. You may need the following:

  • Petition to Set Aside Conviction

  • Order Setting Aside Conviction

  • Certificate of Second Chance

Step 3: Legal Assistance
Consider hiring an attorney experienced in firearms rights restoration. They can guide you through the process, ensuring all legal requirements are met.

Step 4: Review State and Federal Laws
Understand both Arizona state laws and federal laws regarding firearm ownership. Make sure you comply with all regulations, especially since federal law may still prohibit firearm ownership in some cases.

Step 5: Complete the Petition
Fill out the “Petition to Set Aside Conviction” form accurately and completely. Attach any required supporting documentation, such as proof of completion of sentence and restitution.

Step 6: File the Petition
Submit your completed petition and supporting documents to the Superior Court in the county where your conviction occurred. Pay any necessary filing fees.

Step 7: Attend the Court Hearing
You may be required to attend a court hearing where a judge will consider your petition. Be prepared to present your case, demonstrating your rehabilitation and commitment to following the law.

Step 8: Obtain the Order
If your petition is granted, the judge will issue an “Order Setting Aside Conviction” and a “Certificate of Second Chance.” These documents are essential for restoring your firearm rights.

Step 9: Apply for a CCW Permit
To expedite the process of restoring your firearm rights, apply for a Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permit through your local law enforcement agency. They will conduct a background check and may deny your application, providing you with the opportunity to challenge their decision.

Step 10: Attempt to Purchase a Firearm
With your “Certificate of Second Chance” in hand, attempt to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer. If denied, you can challenge the decision by providing the court-issued documents.

Restoring firearm rights after a felony conviction in Arizona requires determination, careful adherence to the law, and a clear understanding of the process. Consulting with legal experts and following these steps can help you regain your rights and move forward with a fresh start. Remember to stay informed about any changes in firearm laws that may affect your situation.


@Brian555 Congratulations. Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:


Congratulations! Thanks for caring for yourself and loved ones.




Congrats and welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing the process. The question of how to get rights restored has comes up several times here but I don’t think we have heard from someone who successfully navigated the process before.


I bookmarked the post for future reference. :+1:


Wow! Bravo!!


Welcome @Brian555!

I am glad you were able to restore your 2A rights. Thank you for sharing so others may benefit from your experience.


Hello and welcome @Brian555 that’s determination! Congratulations :confetti_ball:


@Brian555 Welcome to the community, and congrats on your success to restore your 2A rights. :+1:


Welcome aboard @Brian555

Thanks for the info and glad to have you among us.

Word of caution!

This is a public forum so anyone can read it. Your full name, DOB and case number are available to every tom, dick, harry and susy with a google machine.

I would suggest you take down the picture of the document!



As I have posted before the same that the procedure is available in CA. My next door neighbor was declared rehabilitated and was able to get a government job after that. I would recommend that you hire an attorney experienced in both firearms defense and who had represented at least one client in such an attempt. There is a steep learning curve and you want someone who has successfully gotten a declaration of rehabilitation from a superior court judge at least a couple of times before you. You want the rep to accompany you to court. Only an attorney can represent clients in court, so your neighbor who has been declared rehabilitated can’t help you out once the courtroom doors close. I worked in court for 20+ years, so the courtroom scene was very familiar to me. I represented myself in several small claims cases and one traffic case that I won and I can tell you it is a very stressful situation, even with one who was completely familiar with courtroom procedure such as I was. It is much better to be represented when so much is at stake.