Reloading?

I know with all the people here, there has to be some that reload:
So how did you get started, when and why?
I started helping my dad back in the '60s, at the age of 4 I lost a fingernail to a press (using 5/8" fine thread dies) loading .222 Rem for a 4 digit serial numbered Remington 700 carbine, I would latter kill a tractor and trailer load of groundhogs with it.
With my dad a Green Beret, I cherished every minuet we got together.
Only one of my son’s took up my love for hunting, shooting and reloading but I had all of them helping me before I got to old and boring for them (glad they are coming back around now).
I don’t know how many friends and family I have helped get into this but it has been a few. I even had 7 of my 4-H kids take it for a project.
Now I do it because it takes my thoughts away from everything but the calming effect it has for me. Well that and the fact that right now, you can’t get ammo and what I load shoots very good in my guns. There is something about punching little holes in paper at very long ranges and with lots of bullets and I have yet to have a gun that liked factory ammo to do this with.
OK, I reload: Rifle, Pistol and all my shotgun loads as I like oddballs it really helps.

5 Likes

All kinds of info here. :+1:

How do you start to reload target ammo?

Reloading/Casting

Reloading,Lee,rcbs or something more?

1 Like

Ben reloading for 34 years but honestly I didn’t get all the way down in the weeds of rifle reloading until about 15 years ago or mebby longer. I now ring steel consistently at a mile with a 30-06 and larger calibers and am quite comfortable at 1000 with a 308. I still reload pistol in quantity and my loads are significantly better than factory. I agree with the mental floss aspect of reloading, click - cathunk - click -cathunk is very calming.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

There is something about getting half a cup of coffee down between shot and ping.
I have a range down the road 15 min from my house that has steel out to 1,200 and then 1 mile.

3 Likes

My first varmint rifle was a Savage 222 caliber. Got it to shoot good with reloads. I sold it and, like other firearms I sold I wish I had it back. I have two hornets. And two custom target rifles in 221 fireball. :us::us:

2 Likes

Are you looking for a start up list of reloading components. Let us know, the only problem is getting any. Good to start a wish list. Having reloading mentors can save you time and money by getting the right products the first time. Reloading is a past time for me. PS : pick a cartridge that will meet your expectations. What are they ? :us::us::us:

3 Likes

Nope, not I said the piggy. I’m just a shooter not a reloader. :+1:
Just got back from the range with my daughter-in-law. She purchased a Taurus G2C 9mm so we went to do a range test, she did pretty well for for the first time shooting it. I just started her shooting last year. :us:

2 Likes

The fun thing that I have done is low balling the loads for shooting competitions. Steel target shooting. I load it with enough to knock down the steel plates but minimize the recoil. I got this from doing a minimum load on a black powder pistol. I could watch the lead go down range. I love the precision part of reloading. Every load being the same to the thousandths. Each piece of brass being the same weight and length. Powder being the same on every load. Then checking with a Chronometer to see if the feet per second come out to be the same.

2 Likes