Ammo readily available!

It’s not too late yet, but I think it might soon be. Yeah–build your own.
dies
For those of you who aren’t the fly by night 2020 gun buyers, I would recommend you get into reloading.
Would you like to be sure that ammo shortages will never affect you?
I don’t know how long the shortage will last. I do know that any investment you do now in reloading will be of great long term value to you if you expect to shoot for another 20 years.
Reloading itself is not rocket science, but it does require that you actually read and follow directions. So I probably just eliminated 1/2 the guys here. :slight_smile:

It’s a good feeling to look at the bench, the supplies and the ammo cabinet knowing I’m covered. The only ammo I ever buy is my carry ammo. Everything else I build for a small fraction of the cost.
p.s. I never bought 9mm dies–it used to be so cheap. But for $50 for dies and a shell holder, all I need to do is buy the bullets I need and save some brass. Once you have the basic equipment, calibers are relatively easy and inexpensive to reload.

8 Likes

Have you tried to find primers for small handguns yet? I just paid a fortune for them.

2 Likes

Even with a man cave I just don’t have the room. I do get the point though, if you can get all components.

I would reload, but I have no place to shoot those rounds.

1 Like

Why can’t you shoot them?

Hand loads and remanufactured ammo are not allowed at any of the ranges around here.

2 Likes

I’m stocking up for Winter, just in case.
elf snowball fight

6 Likes

I have a 3 gallon bucket full of .45 and still loading. Building the rounds to specifics is actually fun for me. I also load 5.56. I use Sierra Match king 69 grain boat tail jacketed hollow point bullets. I only have about 1500 rounds though. I also reload my shotgun rounds so, when I go duck hunting I have the optimal advantage.
I find that you have to follow directions and you have to pay attention to all the details. Each step is important and has specific operation that for consistency has to be consistent.

2 Likes

I own my own home, but never thought it would be safe reloading indoors, if I had a home in Bozeman, Montana I could have saved many thousands of dollars. Now it seems too late, I really don’t think I have twenty years left to go, at least not on a range.
I seriously thought about it. It was a toss up. Reloading seemed like a secondary hobby to shooting and I wanted to spend more time shooting than reloading. Now it’s 2021, I’m thinking BIG MISTAKE! Not the money, the survival part.
I’m in good shape until the Chinese take over!

That’s why I’m meticulously reading up on loading. I’ve made one round at a friend/mentor’s house. He’s going to help me when I finally setup the area. I just need to clear out the place I chose. I need a commercial shredder for all of our personal paperwork no longer needed.

3 Likes

All good for now. If Biden & his gun czar beto get in you’ll be lucky to have something to shoot it out of

I just paid $49 for 1000 Federal small pistol in store.

2 Likes

The indoor range I used to frequent did not allow green tip 5.56 but never pushed bringing reloads in.
They probably just forgot to mention it when I let them shoot my rifles🤣

@Karacal
where? State? I got screwed really bad. They acted like I was being lame for complaining.

Scheels Reno, NV
I’m getting ready to drive back over there now to get a brick of CCI # 41 primers

The local ranges around here (indoor and outdoor) examine the rounds coming in. Besides, I’m not going to lie about what I bring to a gun range. If something goes wrong…

2 Likes

Our ranges allow reloaded ammo, just not in their rental guns. D Green tip and tracers seem to be banned.

1 Like

Good find, great price, but can not ship out of state per the Scheel’s employee.

Larry

They didn’t even have them on their website. I called an hour before and they told me they were in stock, They opened at 0900, at 0901 there was a line infront of their primer case.

1 Like

Where did you find them?