Reloading,Lee,rcbs or something more?

Do you reload?I have been around a lot of reloading. The typical for sure

Once I got tired of loading a cartridge at a time, I switched to a more automated press.

At the moment I like Dillon,now I still have my other presses,but given the current quiet time I am doing winter work now🤯

What presses do you like and why,any drawbacks or benefits…
Pistol ammunition,rifle,shotgun 1,2 or all three?

3 Likes

I use the Hornady LockNLoad Progressive press. I have never used any other so I don’t have much to compare to. As of yesterday I activated it again as we are supposed to have nearly a week straight of rain and I don’t work out in the fields when it rains. I am a fair weather everything-er.

There are few things I wish it did, or would do, or had. There is a light bar you can get to attach right to the press. I use a lamp now but need to be able to look into each casing after the powder drop to make sure there is powder in each cartridge. For some reason, maybe 1 out of 200-300 powder won’t drop or won’t drop fully. The first few times I noticed this it wasn’t until I got a couple of squibs. I was lucky I discovered this prior to pulling the trigger a second time. Now I weigh each and every round after production to make sure they are to weight.

As the plate rotates, sometimes it doesn’t lock into its position requiring a slight nudge. This bugs me a little bit but once your muscle memory learns the process of nudging it when you insert another casing, it’s no big deal.

I have dies for 9,32acp,357,223. I need a bunch of more toys to do shotgun, so, I have not invested in that, yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dillon, the Rolls Royce of progressive presses. Personally, I use a Redding T7 Turret press and Redding dies, which I like very much. High quality and solidly built. I also have a fair number accessories from Inline Fabrication; Risers, case ejector system, ergonomic press handle, storage solutions, etc. If you are not familiar with them, I would highly recommend taking a look at their product line. Top quality product and stellar customer service.

I currently load 7 cartridges, both rifle and pistol. I currently go through between 3 and 4 hundred rounds a week at the range and so far, I have been able to keep up this volume with my current equipment. If I decide to go with a progressive press because my volume increases or because it would be cool to have one, I would definitely go with a Dillon.

4 Likes

I use an RCBS single stage press, but I wish I had started with a Hornady lock n load system. I like that system a lot better. I have both RCBS and Hornady dies.
I would love a Dillon for pistol reloading.

4 Likes

If you do shotgun, MEC–Mayville Engineering Company–was made about an hour from my old house in WI.

5 Likes

@Fizbin - don’t know about your rig, Hornady makes a powder cop. I have a 5 stage press and one of the stages after loading powder is the powder cop. It visually shows how much powder was dropped so you don’t get to little or a double load.
Fizbin - send me some of that rain. We haven’t had rain in going on 3 weeks here in Palm Bay Fl. Mike. :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

Powder cop, is it visual or by weight? It’s sounds great!
We are having a massive Thunderstorm as we speak. Temp went down 22 degrees in 8 minutes. Davis Weather stations says we are at a rate of 3.12"/hr right now.

TIP: If you live out in the country you may know this. Never open or close a gate in a thunderstorm. I have seen first hand when lightening has struck, maybe a mile away, sparks arc from t-post to t-post down a fence line!

PS Just looked it up, the Powder Cop. OMG Man!!! You’re a life saver!!! I just ordered 1.

2 Likes

I don’t use a progressive press and I visually inspect all cartridges after dropping powder, by shining a light into the cartridge to ensure the powder level looks correct and there no squib loads. I believe RCBS makes a lock out die for progressive presses that physically locks the press up if the powder charge is not correct. I have never used one so I can’t vouch for how well it works, but I like the idea of having a die that actually stops the press if something is wrong.

4 Likes

The only time it is my fault is when I forget to over press to seat a primer. This ONLY happens when I hear the words, “Hi honey, how’s it going, are you having fun?”

2 Likes

I have two Lee progressive presses. I have one set up for large primer and one for small. Why Lee you may ask? I know there are better presses out there but. I was in the right place at the right time and a VERY right price.

Not only were they each on sale (at different times) but I was able to get them in the calibers I was looking for with a discount on a second set of dies (both times).

In the last 3 years I have never seen this type of sale again (it was at Cabela’s).

2 Likes

Dillon because its solid and I cant beat their warranty. Example, when I was setting it up for 45ACP the first time, I discovered the plastic piece on the end of a primer tube was damaged. I emailed about it, had a replacement in our mailbox within 48 hours.

3 Likes

That is the one @Fizbin. Glad I could help you out. It saved me a couple of times. I enjoy my reloading hobby. Now I have to find a way to turn it into a income…Mike_T

I’ve been to 3 gun shows my whole life. I haven’t been to more as I really don’t find them that interesting and am not a fan of buying preowned firearms. Contrary to what blue people think, you can’t just go into a gun show and buy a firearm without a NICS check and stuff.

Anyway, I’ve seen a lot of reloads for sale at those gun shows. Otherwise I would only think you could sell them on craig’s list or ebay. But, I’ve never checked into it but you’d probably need some sort of Government permission of some kind. (Land of the Free).

Like when I used to brew beer in my youth and sell it to friends, I bet you could sell/barter a lot to friends and folks at church.

1 Like

I would be real careful trying to sell your hand loads. You should consult a lawyer and form a corporation or LLC to limit your liability. I’m not sure what type of insurance you would need, but you need it because even with the protection of a corporation you could still be sued for blowing up some guys gun and injuring him. You would also need to obtain a Class 6 FFL, which is for the manufacture of ammunition. Depending on where you live, there may be zoning and other requirements for this type of business. There are probably a whole lot more hoops that I am not aware of to jump through to get into this type of business.

I thought about doing this when I retired, but rejected it because of the hassle starting it up and the potential liability. When some people have asked me if they can buy ammo from me, I simply say no because I can barely keep up with my own needs.

I think it would be a great business to go into as long as you set it up correctly.

2 Likes

While I like gun shows for the stuff other than guns, I can’t stand the lack of safety there. I have seen more muzzles swung around…Argh.

1 Like

Great tip, thanks! On my bucket list is to build an addition onto our range,…for trap. MEC has some great throwers. Nice equipment.

1 Like

Yes, that was a bit un-nurving. Along with the sound of people testing tasers. The only thing I ever bought, actually ordered was there was a leather craftsman at one. A nice guy and a Vet. Ammo was overpriced, firearms were old and beatup, new firearms were overpriced.

The other thing that was annoying is they did not allow concealed carry into the gunshow! We were not allowed to take pictures either.

The blue people want to shut down gun shows. I think with that said they have never been to a gun show, as there really isn’t much to shut down.

To be clear, there are tons of folks who like gun shows and I’m cool with that. Everyone likes their own thing. :slight_smile:

I have found some funny t shirts, some inexpensive (and cheap) large duffels, and a nice L handed Stag receiver for an AR.
But you are right on, sir–mostly overpriced, underquality.

1 Like

Another thing you have to look into if you are planning on doing this in a residential area would be powder and primer limitations.

I know some places have limits on how much you can “Legally” store in a residence as well as the cabinet requirements. I am talking about having it in bulk before use not after it has been put into the casing.

Well when it rains it pours. My Hornady Trio Case Prep little machine broke Friday. I opened it up and 2 of the 3 cog wheels that spin the cleaning spindles were broke. I called Hornady and they are sending me a new set for free. Because I have absolutely no will power, I also added on a back up set of dies (9,223) and a new casing drying station (was just using a fan to blow across the tops of casings out of the sonic cleaner before). I also ordered a new sonic cleaner as the Lyman one I had stopped working! After a cleaning it just never came back on.