Reloading ammo? bulge buster?

I do not see a reloading section so here ya go…

with prices the way their going reloading may be a key to your shooting/plinking

and you find the round you just made will not chamber???

well… hmmm…

3 Likes

The only commercial ammo I have is for personal protection/EDC.

I reload all my match and practice ammo.

When you have the components, reloading guarantees that you will have ammo. I stocked up before the pandemic.

With current prices you can still probably roll your own cheaper than store bought on a round-by-round comparison.

2 Likes

Anyone have problems with one die or another?
I have transferred to RCBS dies to get the exact fitting that I want.

2 Likes

I use a mixture of Redding, RCBS and Lyman dies. Some examples follow.

For 9mm Luger, I use a RCBS sizing die, a Lyman expanding “M” die, RCBS seating die and a Redding crimp die.

For 38/357 I use Lyman dies.

For .45 ACP I use RCBS dies.

For .223 I use Redding dies.

There is a Lee decapping die in the pile.

2 Likes

For rifle rounds, they make small base resizing dies to size the casing a few thousandths more than standard dies. Push thru dies can work if the bulge is near the rim of the casing. For a time, Glocks were notorious for bulged cases. Believe this has been addressed but I may be wrong.

1 Like

I have reloaded and shot thousands of rounds through M1s and AR-15s. Never used a small base sizing die and never had a problem. Know many others with similar experience shooting M1A rifles.

2 Likes

Stocking up on components and bullet molds before the current shortages, I can reload range ammo but that put me in situation of dealing with four different pistol powders. Tweaking and evaluating loads for two calibers using five different new to me powders takes considerable time away from shooting drills.

A first world problem, I know. :roll_eyes:

Since I recycle lead I also spend time scavenging blown tire tread from highway shoulders to construct bullet traps for range time at the BLM borrow pit in the hills.

2 Likes

I’d love to see the tire tread bullet traps!

1 Like

A local indoor shooting range had a backstop made from shredded tires. A woman set it on fire with a tracer round. The entire building burned to the ground.

2 Likes

Same for me but it’s something to keep in mind for those who may have this problem in future. This problem tends to show up more with pistol brass. If it shows up on rifle brass, it might be a good idea to have the headspace on the rifle checked.

Ive always pulled brass and bullets out of service if their is a flaw in the reload
its not worth the risk of a case failure wile shooting
after 50+ years of reloading [knock on wood] no accidents or failures

Mike

3 Likes

Have you tried titegroup for your handgun calibers?

2 Likes

How old are you?

IMO : There is a couple of reloading topics but they died on the vine.
Regarding this chambering problem some of the common causes can be

• tight chamber
  • oal too long , bullet engaging rifling
  • over crimp
  • under crimp.
  • some brass is thinner than others IE: Remington.
  • take measurements of your loaded ammo in comparison with loading data before making a bunch of ammo.
    Alway do the plunk test with the firearm you loaded for. Even though the loaded round may fit in a go no gauge it may not fit your chamber. IE I can’t chamber anything over .451 bullet in my 1911.
    Another safeguard is to use a crimp only die, it’s a extra step but it makes sense if you think about it. I have a crimp only die that has a size ring built into it to insure a speck diameter.

PS: sometimes a small base size die may help with rifle cases .
4 Likes

@OldDude49

• trouble with rifle amo or pistol amo ( what cartridge ) :question:
  • it’s still harder to find reloading supplies than loaded amo.

SOUND OFF

4 Likes

I have the same issue with my 1911
.452 don’t go
.451 go
haven’t checked the S&W shield yet
so far that thing eats everything

Mike

2 Likes

65 in Jan.

9 mm is also interesting because some bullet manufacturers have gone to .356 from .355, although the .380 cartridge calls for a .355 diameter bullet ; if that’s not enough the .380 is called a 9mm Kurto ( short ) even though the case dimensions are different than the 9mm case.
PS. I REST MY CASE.

2 Likes

:smile: LOL

Mike

2 Likes

Anybody here load for something less common?