Recoil reduction

Has anyone heard or use the. DPM SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGIES LTD

FIREARMS RECOIL IMPROVEMENT system.

4 Likes

DPM SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGIES LTD - yes, heard, was interested in using it… but decided not to.
And I think you will have to buy it and test it to find out if it works for you.
When you start digging for answers, you will be confused more and more every hour.
There is 50-50 chance DPM will reduce recoil or not.

Unfortunately this product is not a magic wound…

3 Likes

Recoil Reduction is abit like the Hollywood gun that never runs out od ammo, in my opinion.
Any semi auto needs the recoil to complete the fire, recoil,strip a new round from the magazine, and to have enough force to rechamber the new round and lock the bolt.
Many systems have used slide locks that allows the pressure to be reduce before opening the slide and reload.
I agree the recoil pressure must be controled so that the frame or the slide are not damaged and that the gun remains under control of the shooter. I have reviewed the DPM sight and as far as pistols are concerned I think a quick call to companies such as Wolff Springs will be very helpful and cheaper. In the world of AR style of rifle many options are available, some at very low costs.

Not saying the DPM products is without merit, but their are, in my opinion, many ways to reduce the effects of recoil.

Larry

3 Likes

Just my opinion…

Regarding recoil reduction:

1. If it is related to pain or injury affecting your hand/wrist, a bigger/ heavier gun with a weaker caliber helps. Also, if you have a current injury, let it heal properly before stressing it.

2. If it is for faster follow up shots, there are techniques that will help.

Although I can’t use some of the technique from this guy because of my arthritis, if you can’t match his speed and accuuracy with a stock 4" 357 magnum revolver, then practicing with certain techniques should be prioritized over parts kits.

5 Likes

I will have to research this and I’ll get back to you. I do have a m&p performance center shield which has a ported barrel and slide which supposedly reduces recoil but you could barely tell the difference.

1 Like

https://www.dpmsystems.com/

1 Like

I have a DPM in one of my hand guns. The gun came with a plastic rod in the recoil spring that I was not to impressed with, so I started looking for a steel replacement and came across DPM and decided to give it a try. While I don’t doubt the data produced by their computer equipment, I can’t say I really felt a lot of difference when shooting the gun. The DPM does come with different strength recoil springs and swapping springs around for the carry load I chose did provide some improvement IMHO. To their credit I have been using the DPM for 4 years with no issues. The one con I will point out is that the factory recoil spring was ‘captured’ while the DPM replacement was not. Putting the spring in a gun designed for a captured spring took a little getting used to (I cheated on the first install and used a bamboo skewer to keep it in line and in position).

2 Likes

Seems unlikely to give dramatic improvement. Basic Pistol operation depends on well balanced, engineered, and purpose-designed recoil forces. Mess with it, by installing a progressive rate spring, or whatever, and it seems likely to encourage failures to feed (more often and importantly than meaningful comfort improvements).

The strong side shooting comfort you receive from their spring, might be countered with the requirement that you have a firmer hold on the frame etc (think weak handed feed failures).

Perhaps a fun project to play with, if you are interested in learning more about weapons engineering, or design, but not if you care about reliability.

Just my 2c.

1 Like

Push ups=Recoil reduction :muscle:

6 Likes

Been searching for ammo types which might result in lower recoil in handguns. Coping with a hand ailment/injury.

In the attached article which discusses grain weight, the author wrote "firing lighter bullets usually feels snappier, while firing heavy bullets feels more like a roll or pull.”

Aside and separate from the more obvious differences in calibers, I’m learning that many factors affect recoil, but I’m mainly needing to research different ammo types and brands. Planning to run practice tests at the range.

Any suggestions on specific brands of ammo which might have less recoil? Thanks all.

1 Like

Gun recoil is a result of momentum conservation, known as Newton’s “every action has an equal and opposite reaction”.

If you want less recoil without changing recoil spring or assembly, you will need to find either bullet with less mass or less velocity or less of both.
Each ammo has both parameters provided at the box.
Find the ammo with lowest momentum (p= mv)

(All these above applies to recoil only. You may lose other factors with less bullet’s mass or velocity)

2 Likes

They have been playing around on recoil for along time point in case my Smith and Wesson model 15 Combat Masterpiece has in 38 special has a brass finger inserted wear your fingers wrap around by the trigger it adds weight to the gun to help control recoil.

hope my jpg works

2 Likes

Different ailments, different pistols, and different calibers might have different suggestions.

Generally speaking, a larger, heavier gun ‘should’ reduce felt recoil. A less powerful ammo ‘should’ also reduce felt recoil. Handgun grip angle might or might not also help.

If it’s an issue with a pinched nerve, a reduction in recoil may or may not help. Treatment for the area and therapy might be the best course of action.

2 Likes

I spent 30 years in medicine and more than that with guns. I have found very few “recoil reduction systems” work very well without some consequence in another form. Porting was the big thing in the 80’s and yes it did reduce muzzle jump but you still got all the recoil and blinded in the process. Adding mass to the front of the gun works as well but then you are hanging more weight out past your fingers which will induce fatigue. Reducing boolit weight and/or velocity works but at the cost of performance on target.

IMHO there are only two things which will help with felt recoil. The first is easy but a crutch. Gel Filled Bicycle gloves. Yes you still need to train with your bare hands but you can train effectively and longer with these gloves to achieve sight alignment and trigger control.

The second is a modification to the gun itself. On my 1911’s I install a beaver tail grip safety and contour it and the frame to get my hand as far up and in to the pistol as practicable. The increase in control ability and reduction in felt recoil is measurable. Not sure how many folks are willing to take a Dremel tool to their “Baby” to get it to sit deeper in their hand but it is an option.

The other option is to train with a sub caliber gun with the same FUNCTION as your EDC if not the same platform. As long as the gun ACTS the same it doesn’t matter if the grip is the same your body will get training benefit from it. If you shoot a DA/SA or Striker gun find a 22 with similar action features. The human body is pretty adaptable and even if you only have a SA revolver the act of shooting is only about 10-20% trigger pull the rest is everything else.

Finally if your shooting hand is affected it is a great time to concentrate on off hand shooting proficiency.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Guys, good advices… but does anyone actually know the answer for @Burdo’s question?

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Great variety of ideas on reducing recoil. I took notes.

Although, right now, I’m experimenting with specific brand name ammo, namely Hornady 110 grain Vs. Liberty Civil Defense 50 grain. Just waiting on obtaining those two specific brands to become a little more available. Seen & read some reviews, but looking forward to conducting my tests.

Wooden grips on revolvers:
On mine, I wonder if there are any materials I can fill inside the grips such as silicone, to test if it reduces “felt” recoil, but don’t want damage internal parts or the inside of the wood. Ya’ll know?

Appreciate you all.

1 Like

Burdo, if you want to add weight to your wooden grips be careful as to some grips are kinda thin but if you have the ones for bigger hands you may have room to drill a hole in the base maybe a 1/4 inch or a little less, then get and old tire weight like ones for trucks bigger that car Wilhelm weights it give you more to work with, if you can knock the mounting clip off than with a hammer shape it to fit the hole you drilled and have it bottom out the take it out and cut it about a 1/4 inch short put it back in and use a wooden plug with some good glue, once it sets up carefully trimm the excess plug even with the base where you started to drill the hole, you can use a little stain to match the base wood the if you don’t have any grip clear a clear finger nail polish will work. This is just a suggestion if you do one side do that other and make it balanced.

3 Likes

Great community info. Even if I end up not implementing some of the tips herein, many others might also learn from everyone’s ideas. I’m partial to wooden grips, and often appreciating firearms for their artistic craftsmanship, ever since my grandpa left one for us as an old family heirloom, which got me started from the hobby aspect to EDC CCW.

Gratitude.

1 Like

Sounds like you might have built a custom speargun or two before?

To piggy back on @George19 's posts… If you are “handy” and can find some plate brass you could cut/file the brass to match your grips and sammich them under the grips to the frame. Depending on how big your hands are it may actually make the gun more comfortable (I’ve always felt revolver grips were too small). You may need to fabricate a new through screw depending on the thickness of the brass. I’ve seen this done on a pair of Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnums and the visual effect was rather striking. The weight was significantly increased and significantly knocked down the perceived recoil as the grip was 1/4" wider. Oz per inch brass is about as heavy as you can reasonably get and not have it too soft (ie lead), steel and aluminum would be lighter if you found the weight was too much. Food for thought.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes