Reciprocity map and the Constitutional carry states?

I was wondering why the reciprocity map doesn’t have the states that are constitutional carry highlighted so that they don"t need to be searched. I think that it would help to identify them better. Since the reciprocity map shows in red and blue which states you can carry or not. The constitutional states could be highlighted in green or some other color. Also they could be listed in the footnotes too…just curious…

2 Likes

Great question, @FRANCOIS! Even if they are Constitutional Carry states, they still have additional laws that you will want to know traveling to/through those states.

Permitless carry states are listed at the bottom of individual state pages:

Are you still seeing the states as red and blue? We’ve switched the color scheme of the map to our new brand colors. Please let me know if you’re still seeing red and blue! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Dawn - @FRANCOIS may be referring to the iPhone app. That still shows the red/blue color scheme. I checked it this morning.

3 Likes

Ah! Good to know! I am on my laptop so much that I don’t use the app nearly as much as others!

3 Likes

yes that is correct,my ipad still shows the colors as red blue. My Android phone and tablet shows it as red an blue also on the reciprocity map for the app, But on my PC it shows up as the four colors. Grey, Dark Grey, Yellow and dark yellow.

2 Likes

Do these states constitution carry include non resident visitors?

2 Likes

As I understand the states’ laws, Constitutional Carry does not depend on residency. You can carry. Period.

However, I am not an attorney, and am not an expert in state law for any state.

3 Likes

Well the other states used the Vermont model as there base for their constitutional carry laws. I can tell you that the Vt law which is Article 16 of the Vermont Constitution, which is applicable

Article 16 guarantees a right to bear arms. It also calls standing armies dangerous to liberty and discourages them, and ensures civilian power over the military. Vermont , of course, does not have an army. … Chapter 2 of the Vermont Constitution is the framework for the government.

Which is further explained in Vt law, that as long as you are a lawful person that is carrying a firearm without the intent to cause harm, may carry concealed or open carry. It is governed by Vt fish and wildlife regulations. As long as you are a citizen or Lawful resident of the US you can carry in Vt. I lived there for 25 years, and i was an NRA instructor in Vt.

2 Likes

I would verify with each CC state, I think there is at least one state that requires you to be a resident for permit less carry, but i am not 100% sure on that point. I know that Missouri just became permit less carry too.

2 Likes