Iowa: Now a "no permit" to carry state

I live in Iowa and our law changed on July 1 and we no longer need to get a permit to conceal carry. How does this change the reciprocity of other states??

6 Likes

Hello and welcome Lyle! You came to the right place. That’s great news for Iowa! The USCCA does a great job on keeping up with the most current laws on their reciprocity map, maybe check into that before going over state lines.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Lyle5 !

If the training requirements for your Iowa permit haven’t changed, it likely won’t affect reciprocity, though you should always check before traveling. If you don’t have an Iowa permit then you wouldn’t have any reciprocity though you would be able to carry in other States that allow permitless carry for out of State residents. The reciprocity map would show you which ones do.

Does anyone know if there are any permitless carry states that don’t allow out of staters to carry? I don’t know of any offhand.

3 Likes

Reciprocity involves a permit. All states that have permitless carry also issue permits. It’s upon those permits that reciprocity lies.

7 Likes

That was the answer I was looking for. Thank you OldGnome.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Lyle5 , glad to have you and congratulations Iowa. So did Tennessee, but here if you had the permit/license it’s basically still the same for me. I just don’t like the fact that mine will forever be connected to my license/plates and this that carry constitutionally now theirs will not be.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Lyle5

1 Like