Route 66: Can you carry?

I’ll be traveling part of Route 66 this week as I help my son move across the country. :cry: This will be my first time on Route 66 since I started carrying over 6 years ago and his first time on Route 66. It will be an awesome road trip!

Of course, I have double-checked my concealed carry reciprocity and all of the state laws for transporting firearms as we travel on the USCCA Reciprocity map www.uscca.com/laws

Map from nps.gov

Which states do you have reciprocity with along Route 66?

• Illinois
  • Missouri
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • New Mexico
  • Arizona
  • California

0 voters

If you’ve got any suggestions on what’s a must-see along Route 66 please let me know!

I’ve found few restrictions (of course)… and unfortunately I’m not be able to drive whole Route66 with my EDC :pensive:

1 Like

I’m from IL so I didn’t check Lincoln Land because my license originated from here and California Not me.

2 Likes

I excluded NM, IL and CA based upon my regular Kentucky CCL. LEOSA allows me to carry in all states, however, magazine capacity limitations still apply and, even though federal law says otherwise, the AG of NJ says that their ban on hollow point ammunition still applies.

5 Likes

Curious that only 60% say yes on KS. USCCA says they’re constitutional/permitless carry?

1 Like

Missouri is constitutional carry, and if I understand how that is applied, that means it’s not just for Missouri residents and does include everyone - but I’d really love to have @MikeBKY or @Tom_Grieve confirm that for me.

Missouri permit gets me 37 states, but not IL or CA.

3 Likes

We the People of IL do not like “strangers with guns” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

ID, ND and WY appear to be the only “resident only” permitless carry states. I didn’t even know that was a thing! Learn something new every day :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: I don’t know when this information is current as of.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/types-of-concealed-carry-licensurepermitting-policies/unrestricted/

Isn’t it ridiculous Zee? MO takes IL but IL isn’t a reciprocal occurrence. Well politicians swore it’s going to be the Wild West truly I believe they’re disappointed they aren’t getting their wishes.

1 Like

I have made this trip (avoiding Illinois I went thought Iowa) on a motorcycle. It was why I applied and received my Florida non-residence permit. Not all the listed states honored Wisconsin’s permit at the time (some still don’t). I also stopped in Las Vegas (my mother lives there) and did not go into California.

Yes I know all about how I can stay armed in Illinois as long as I dont take the weapon out of the vehicle but like I said, I was on a motorcycle and was not going to tempt fate.

1 Like

Missouri made a very simple change to the concealed carry statute. In 2014, R.S.Mo 571.030 read
" 571.030. Unlawful use of weapons — exceptions — penalties. — 1. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons, except as otherwise provided by sections 571.101 to 571.121, if he or she knowingly:(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use …"
In 2016, "into any area where firearms are restricted under section 571.107.
It does not specify whether it applies to only citizens or not, however, the use of the phrase “a person commits” would tend to imply that it applies to all persons.

With the normal caveat that I am not licensed in the State of Missouri so cannot provide a legal opinion with respect to MO law, I agree with others who have said Constitutional Carry in MO applies to all persons, not just citizens.

Kentucky, likewise, applies to all persons who can legally possess a firearm.

1 Like

That is true of many states. Kentucky first started by only recognizing states that had reciprocity agreements with Kentucky. That is no longer the case and has been for several years.

2 Likes

that is what my understanding is too… so all y’all who didn’t mark Missouri as covered in your permit… well, Come On Down! We’re happy to have you :grin:

2 Likes

All but Illinois and California.

1 Like

Reciprocal reciprocity has been good because it encourages the voters in a given state to push their legislatures and governors into extending reciprocity to other states.

States like CA, NY, Illinois unfortunately are pretty well lost causes unfortunately.

2 Likes

I don’t need reciprocity since it is Constitutional carry! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Maybe, the Supreme Court will change that. At least make it so all 50 states could at least get a nonresident license. Many of us in Illinois don’t like that our out of state friends, and neighbors are treated this way either.

3 Likes

That would require the courts to pretty well order the states to agree on uniform laws for training and qualifications similar to what it took to get all states to recognize and accept the driver’s licenses nationwide.

Not an impossible hurdle but I think we’d have better luck getting a national carry permit passed under federal law.

2 Likes

Well , I just screwed up and marked the state I DON’T have carry rights in, Il, NM, and of course the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia… Sorry bout that☹️

1 Like

If you hide results you can modify your selections.

1 Like