Recent trip to California

Three day drive for me with 3 months worth of necessities, a cat and 2 electric bikes. I’ve never been over Donner Pass in winter without having to put on chains, so there’s that to look forward to. Ahhhh … California here I come.

5 Likes

It’s supposed to be a tame winter this year in the NW NV/CA region so hopefully you won’t need chains

4 Likes

I drove to Reno a week after new year 2022 and didn’t need chains. Other than that, I try to avoid crossing state lines during wintertime.

Two nights ago, I passed Reno from Utah and their signs regarding “CA “emergency” road work. Hopefully, they’re finished by the time you travel.

4 Likes

You guy’s (Karacal and Bean) are right w/ the advent of the dreaded ‘Climate Change’
the Donner Pass in December should be a perfect 150 degrees and sunny! with a slight
chance of Monsoon! Puuurrrrrrrrrrrrrfect! no chains necessary.
As for the Hi cap Mags just go to the side of the road and fill up the mag with melting asphalt
then the (10) LEGAL rounds and you are good to go! (Just don’t use plastic mag’s…)

5 Likes

They were doing that Sept 19th, looked like shoulder work. They are probably installing rubber guard rails for the white plates to bounce off of.

4 Likes

You don’t know that. He did not state on what, or who, he put the chains. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ya, ropes can be more comfortable sometimes. Then there’s duct tape…

7 Likes

The last time I was in CA in the winter, there were record snows on Donner Pass and all E-W roads were closed for several days. To get back home from Monterey required driving south, then going through Las Vegas.

4 Likes

Good one brother @Dave17

3 Likes

So why did you state that the “stupid” car wouldn’t let you go without a seatbelt? As an retired accident investigator, I would say that’s a smart vehicle to make sure you wear a seatbelt.

2 Likes

There’s no seat belts on motorcycles, nor airbags, and they are far more dangerous. :rofl:

Back in my youth, police did not wear seat belts, but I guess that they weren’t stupid. :rofl: I kinda recall there was a reason for that. Also, more people die in car accidents wearing seat belts than those that don’t. Now that may be because more people wear them, but that clearly doesn’t make them safer drivers or less dead.

1 Like

Grew up in So. Cal. Lived in Whittier, about half hour from Disneyland. The city was okay. Good police department. Nothing good to say about the State though. I moved my family out of State in 1996.

5 Likes

You are obviously misinformed on those killed wearing seatbelts vs those killed not wearing seatbelts. Seatbelts saved 96.6% of those involved in major accidents in 2022. Another 57% who were thrown from vehicles not properly secured in a seatbelt could have been saved wearing seatbelts. As I explained before, I am a retired accident investigator/reconstructionist.
It’s sort of the same reason we have USCCA insurance isn’t it?

2 Likes

Recommend a Cane Masters cane for those non permissive environments. Canemasters.com

4 Likes

I really wasn’t trying to get the topic off on a tangent, I was merely meaning to illustrate that implied safety isn’t actual safety. Wearing a seatbelt does not mean that you will not be killed in a vehicular crash. I thought that my mentioning that motorcyles do not have seat belts and airbags would have been a clue. Doing a quick search, this what I found at the NHTSA:

Data shows that over the years, a greater percentage of unrestrained fatalities occur at night than during the day. In 2021, 57% of people who died in nighttime crashes were unrestrained, compared to 43% who died during the day.

In one of their news releases

In traffic crashes in 2021, considering known driver restraint use by passenger vehicle type, 60 percent of pickup drivers who were killed were unrestrained, compared to 49 percent of SUV drivers, 47 percent of passenger car drivers, and 44 percent of van drivers.

Now back to the topic of the thread.

3 Likes

Spend my money in California? NOT A CHANCE! If I am dragged kicking and screaming to California on business or the like I won’t be spending a cent of my money!

6 Likes

Oh, Man…I grew up in Santa Rosa (above SF). USED to take dates down to the City for dinner and the evening show at the Hungry I…beat a six pk down to the river or beach!! Now…I’d have to drive there from MT, and hope nobody looked too closely at my “baggage”!!! It totally sucks what the ■■■■■■■■ did to that State. My older daughter lives over in East SF Bay in Pittsburg. She has been absorbed by the “woke” BS-two kids in school…and we don’t talk much anymore. Seems I can’t say anything “correctly” My Grandsons loss…will NEVER forgive her husband for saying I am abusive of the kids, because I expect them to mind me when with me. So, two Grandsons forced to grow up without a Grandfather because the SIL has said I am unwelcome there.

6 Likes

As an aside: If happening to drive a pickup to CA, suggest one check out a product called a “DUHA”. Search at DU-Ha.com. They make lockable storage units for inside of cab, or box of a truck. They use: Mfg of vehicle, model, year, sub variation, and creat a product that fits perfectly. Then one drills holes through the two metal brackets on each side of the back seat and have special padlocks the lock access to the bin. I love mine.
Had a former State Police Detective look at mine, he said to take ALL my large cap. mags in there, lock it and put in a 10 rd mag. KEEP it locked with all but what you carry. It is considered a lock box. My AR, Tactical 12g, mags ammo, etc. all fit in there. God help me if I need in there in 30 seconds, BUT it is one solution to that Police State! At “Du-Ha.com

4 Likes

True but for a quick getaway then buckling up it stunk, it wouldn’t release the electronic disc parking brake without seat belt plugged in, i get your point but my point was i was in an unusual rental, I’m disabled, can’t run or fight and every second was counting because when i mounted up they were behind me behind a structure support column and I wanted to move asap.
I don’t move without my belt on anytime, bc i know my on-board car brain knows it, it even senses a 50lb bag of deer corn loaded by the fellers for me at the feed store in the passenger seat, when I arrive home i slide my galvanized bucket over, tip the bag, cut a hole in it and refill their feed…i have to belt that or hear the bong bong bong all the way home lol

2 Likes

That, and all doors automatically unlocking when you turn off the vehicle. Not good.

2 Likes