Real Solutions for Reducing Violent Crime

Ooops…I really shouldn’t post that. I dunno. Candy? Dominoes?

Ummmm, fire the police, don’t prosecute criminals, empty the prisons, then remove firearms from the people that obey the the law. Then, if that doesn’t work, blame everyone around you for not doing the same thing…

Wait… it seems like I’ve seen that somewhere before…

6 Likes

Teachers concerns on virtual learning environments:

So much for reading, writing and arithmetic.

1 Like

Look at all the proposals of BLM and many on the left to eliminate police, prisons, bail, … and you see what has been helpful in reducing crime, violent and otherwise.

5 Likes

That’s right! The entire chapter needs to be read by both believers and unbelievers.

3 Likes

@MikeBKY So Mayor DeBlasio is not helping ( :scream_cat: )?

5 Likes

I have some choice words about the NYC mayor and NY governor, but yes, they are not helping. If it were safer then why would the governor be blaming NYPD for the increase in violent crime?

4 Likes

@MikeBKY Of course there is no correlation between DeBlasio’s poor choices in LE management and the massive increase in violent crime in NYC… And Mini-Groot from Chicago has blamed everyone else for her poor decisions. We can go down the list of cities in chaos and it is clearly the lack of leadership that has incited riot.

4 Likes

Education, education, education. And I don’t mean college.

K-12 should overwhelmingly focus on the fundamental aspects of education, i.e., reading, writing, math, science, and history. A person who has a thorough grounding in those areas can go on to learn anything, with or without college. A sound grasp of the fundamentals will likely result in greater success in any chosen endeavor, as well as helping to form better citizens.

Teach your children well.

3 Likes

College is the biggest waste of money out there. How many people actually use that piece of paper, especilly women Years ago there was survey that said it took up to 30 years to make up the difference in income if you got a college education. I often wonder what that number is today. The local school systems need to have a real education as @David38 has said and there lies the problem. I lot of things would be different if we had a real education for all, but it just might take a couple of generations to really see the difference.

1 Like

I’m a product of the American public school system so by all expectations, I’m expected to be a barely literate, jingoistic redneck (hurr. 'murica!!) who can’t find my state capitol on a map let alone another country if you listen to my elitist/private-schooled counterparts back in college.

Anyways, I remember hearing about California schools dropping sciences a couple years back on NPR of all things. Reason then was that most of the kids couldn’t meet the minimum standards for english and math. I’ve also lived across the Potomac in the People’s Republic of Maryland where I’ve heard they’ve been bussing kids across Howard County and have been trying to implement that in Montgomery County. Now the people resisting it are being accused of systemic racism.

You can’t just lift someone up an expect them to be able to make the best use of that opportunity. They have to want it and they have to be able to make use of it. You can’t drop kids from a ghetto school into suburban one and expect their performance to improve. The suburbanite kids are going to pick on those kids because they’re out of place and when they go back home, they won’t fit in either because now they aren’t “gangsta” enough.

Instead of trying to push kids into programs they’re underprepared for, they need programs in place to bring them up to standard rather than lower standards to achieve some diversity metric. Maybe putting kids into programs to do this will get them off the streets too so they have less time in the day to get into trouble. You won’t get overnight results so it doesn’t look good as the perception is that nothing is being done.

Parents also need to take responsiblity and teach their kids right from wrong, set a good example and supplement their learning. Both my wife and I work so we know it’s hard to do this. It’s much easier to find a good school and pay some money for them to do it, (or at least it was before COVID moved everything virtual), but we shift our schedules to make sure we spend time with our child instead of relying on the internet or TV.

1 Like

Education , Civics in all schools and Society programs specially in Low income neighborhoods also a re-build of our Justice system along with tactics to prevent corruption from police unions and universities . in the other side of the coin our government is getting too large and institutions too ineffective .

we have a way too long trip to fix this issues to be honest , but I Do not see it impossible

1 Like

So I’ve already put out my thoughts on education and family. Now let’s talk about fixing the criminal justice system.

While I understand the belief that some criminals have turned to crime due to desperation and deserve a chance to turn things around, without an appropriate punishment and enforcement of said punishment, there isn’t anything to discourage the offender or anyone else from committing the same crime. With repeat offenders, punishment should be scaled up and at a certain point, we as a society have to realize that some people can’t be helped and have to be put away for good.

It also seems crazy to charge someone with a more severe crime in an attempt to get them to plead guilty to a lesser charge or provide evidence to implicate someone else in a crime. In the first case, you’re effectively coercing an admission of guilt from someone and in the second, how do you even know the guy made something up? As a result, we have a system where if you know the right people or can afford the right attorney, you can get away with what amounts to a slap on the wrist.

I sometimes wonder if we need to adopt a single payer legal system. All lawyers can advertise and provide services through a federally facilitated legal exchange with rates for various legal services based off a federally approved schedule. Nah. That’s just crazy talk. Lawyers aren’t like doctors and law-makers gotta look after their buddies.

I think the fundamentals of the justice system are still good, but they’ve just been burdened by procedures and process. We need to strip the junk away and rebuild it back. Charge the accused based on the evidence with no expectation of reducing charges. If found guilty, conduct before and during the trial can help reduce the sentence, but punishment should still be severe enough to serve as a disincentive for future crime.

2 Likes

Have y’all ever seen the 1912 8th grade e am from Bullitt County, Ky? I SERIOUSLY doubt that one in a thousand of today’s College grads could get a passing grade on it (much less an “A”):smirk:

2 Likes

I have never seen it. But I would love to.

1 Like

@George80 “Jingoistic Redneck”. I’m just a plain ol’ redneck, myself (just ask my wife). I don’t have fleas or anything…just a country attitude. I believe a voucher system would level the playing field for our kids. My kids are grown and having more kids now. They had no problems getting accepted to University. They will probably homeschool their children, likewise.

@Mick.Gallegos.1 We do need to revamp our judicial system. How do you hold a DA accountable? Same for the political animals that clog aisles. Streamline the legal code? Need willing legislators to do that. We can fix this mess.

Mike I found it online and it is Tough😳. Kids in those days had more knowledge after 8th grade than most of today’s “Masters prepared” folks do after 6 years of college!

3 Likes

@Dwayne could you provide a link, please?

1 Like

I must agree with Kevin 29 but it takes a little more effort. It requires professors and teachers to be directed to keep politics out of the class room or be fired. Tenure needs to be subject to certain restrictions, this being one of them.

Young minds are taught to absorb and learn what their teachers are telling them. Professors the biggest problem, stand up on their hind legs and bellow liberalism.

Penalize those who are influencing our young folks minds and ability to think and rationalize for themselves.

Much akin to releasing criminals because of the virus. Aren’t masks the answer? releasing those who have not served their sentences give them the opportunity to spread their germs among the population and some will just resort back to their old ways as shown by the violence of murder, rape etc.

I end this rant with the comment, what are the politicians doing about it? Rhetoric is not the answer, action is demanded. I think it’s in their oath of office.

2 Likes

One solution? Strong families,
I was once upon a time a Juvenile Investigator with the DA’s Office and I learned that gangs provide a “family” coherence that is eagerly gobbled up by kids from dysfunctional families.

3 Likes