Range first aid kits

Hello everyone. New to the community. I noticed that in the training videos the instructors had a range first aid kit. Does anyone know from where and what type of kit is needed for the range? What should it include?

4 Likes

There are three levels of 1st aid kit to consider, personal first aid kit (PFAK), personal trauma kit, and group trauma kit. For a full up range kit useable for multiple casualties the third one is appropriate. A PFAK can usually be carried on an ankle, out of sight, while a personal trauma kit is what you might see on the belt of a range safety officer or advanced instructor. The full range kit is more of a large bag kit, not really for wear as you work on the range.

First rule: Never by any of these kits on eBay or Amazon. Too many use counterfeit tourniquets that will not work properly. I am aware of three highly reliable, quality sources:

Montain Man Medicine
Dark Angel Medical
North American Rescue

I buy my gear from Mountain Man, but any of the three will treat you right.
Be sure to check out the free video training resources on Mountan Main Medical site.

11 Likes

I picked my kit from

It was nice to build what I wanted

8 Likes

@Alfredo15 Welcome to the community, and already you’ve been given great input from Craig_AR and Karacal on sites for great first aid kits/supplies. I’ve checked out their resources and have purchased kits from these sites, thanks to these guys, we’re in good hands, along with many others in the community. Don’t be shy about anything you want to ask or participate in, you’ll get answers, you’re in the right place.

6 Likes

@Alfredo15 - welcome to the Community. :handshake:
Your question has been mostly answered so I will just add my 2 cents.

Most ranges has their own med kits, but be sure the RSO is present. If there is no RSO, you definitely must count on your own stuff.
For the range you do not need anything special, this kit must keep you alive for 5 - 10 minutes.
There are multiple Range Trauma Kits available. Just confirm that the one you buy has these items:

• Trauma Shears
  • Tourniquet
  • Vent Chest Seal
  • Hemostatic Z-Fold Gauze
  • Gauze Pads
  • Tape
  • Bandages (different sizes)
  • Surgical Gloves

If something is missing you can always add it by yourself.
With these items you should be OK till the moment the Cavalry arrives :ambulance: :wink:

8 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Thank you for the great advice

1 Like

Some times you can find them at your local sporting goods store. I found mine at Scheels, it had everything in it.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Jacob119!

Welcome

2 Likes

A really good place to start (and maybe finish), is a fairly-standard IFAK, individual first aid kit, or trauma kit.

Generally this will consist of, for an untrained/minimally trained/online video trained individual:

TCCC approved tourniquet
Israeli bandage/emergency trauma dressing (6" preferred)
Pair of chest seals
Gauze. Optionally, have it be or also have, a hemostatic gauze like quikclot etc
Trauma Shears
Gloves

Craig pretty much stole the thunder already last night. I would add Chinook medical to the list of resources as well but pretty much that.

It is a good idea to also, separately, have a boo-boo kit with adhesive bandages, maybe just some simple 4"x4" gauze (vs like 3 yard by 5 yard compressed gauze as starting point for the IFAK), etc.

7 Likes

:point_up:

I was at a large range a couple years ago, multiple dedicated rifle and pistol ranges. My “buddy” handed me a 357 revolver to try on the steel gallery range. It was almost the first time I’ve ever shot a revolver and didn’t know how to hold it. Shot #1 tore my thumb to pieces! The ROs on hand didn’t have one bandaid in their 1st Aid Kit. Fortunately I had some in my car.

6 Likes

So far… And I really wish this to all of you, the only item used from my medic kit were bandages. :slightly_smiling_face:.

The most common range injury - slide cuts. :upside_down_face:

No, no…not me… :joy:

6 Likes

Yeah, slide bite. Minor annoying burns from brass on occasion. Stapling your finger at an outdoor range (or thumb tacking your finger).

6 Likes

Yes sir, My Medic is a great source for quality supplies. I have bought some items from Skinny Medic too.

6 Likes

Fettuccini Alfredo & Jacob ! Welcome aboard the GUNBOAT Brothers!
(sorry Alfredo, couldn’t resist!)

I have zip to add to the Range kits the Boyz covered it pretty well.
Just remember New or Old to Gunning—Be as self reliant as you can.
Range kits
Training, training, Training
Utilize the USCCA for more than just Insurance.
Good COMMUNITY here

Enjoy you’re stay! Stay Frosty!

WWG1WGA

2 Likes

Agree with all of the input above. If you are planning a first aid kit for a range, gunshot wounds are definitely the first thing people plan for. As a First Aid / CPR instructor, I would also recommend planning for other types of injuries / illnesses. For outdoor ranges, recommend items for sprains / strains, minor cuts, scrapes, burns, etc. Also recommend a CPR face mask and an an AED if possible (and allowed by local laws /regulations). To clarify, the AED would be for a “range” kit, not for individual use.

1 Like