Range Bag Dump: Duffle-like bag or range backpack?

I have an ammo can bag(holds 4 stacked cans) with the backing that unfolds to hold an AR, a field pack for my Walker’s, cleaning tools, mag loaders, gloves, neck gaiters, oil, punches, gun mat, staple gun w/extra staples, splatter targets, and 2 soft sections that hold 2 pistols. A small EDC bag with half the amount of my field pack that holds 2 pistols.

1 Like

I like a backpack. It has 4 external compartments and 3 separate internal compartments for larger items such as pistols, head phones, ammo etc. It has 2 secure back straps but usually I grab it out of the back in my Wrangler and hang it off one shoulder while walking to and from the range. I have tried range bags and own a couple, but for me tha backpack works.

1 Like

Since I purchased my M&P Sport 2 my wife bought me a rifle bag which accommodates 2 rifles, ammo, several pistols and my range gear.

2 Likes

I use the typical duffle style bag for the range. For me it’s the easiest to access all that I need. I rarely take rifles to the range, but need to start so it’s good to see what y’all are using

1 Like

I don’t know what you call it (the seller calls it a “tactical” range bag), but I like my bag with compartments. One big center compartment for bulky stuff like ear muffs, cleaning kit, tape roll, paper plates for targets, etc. Padded inside pockets easily hold one or two guns, and 8 mags. There’s a pocket for my timer, my Mantis, my Uplula, and my Deci-bullz (hokey smokes, Bulkwinkle, when did I acquire all this gear???). The carry handle strap wraps around bottom in a single piece for added strength.

I carry all my ammo in a slimmer, single shoulder-sling bag which is much easier on the hands given its heavy load.

If you’re going to be a gear head, best be an organized gear head.

3 Likes

It would be nice if USCCA would give us members a bag since they give them away to new members.

3 Likes

I use a water resistant style plastic ammo can bought from the local Wally world, it is just big enough to hold 3 sets of ear pro, ammo for the day, some cleaning gear and my range/practice mags.

1 Like

Depending who I’m with and where I’m going I use a bit of each.
I usually go with a sling type bag. I’ll take this for simple range trips. It keeps my hands free and is compact.
I have the USCCA duffel when I need to haul extra ammo and want something more discreet than an ammo can when packing up in the driveway
When going with a group (mainly my cousins who don’t own yet, but want to) or when I’m taking a course and may need more, I have the Savior Equipment backpack (19L version). Holds everything and is discreet looking

1 Like

Hi @OldGnome ,

Excellent idea you have with the artist’s portfolio case. I’ll keep that in mind for future use. I currently use a thick and heavy duty poster mailing tube. I roll the targets and leave them all inside. Fits in my car nicely as well. The artist portfolio case is a neat idea because you would be able to find the target you are looking for that day easier. That’s the only bummer with the poster mailing tube is you have to take them all out, unroll them all, find the target you want, and than roll them all back up. I suppose if you only had one type of target it wouldn’t matter as much? :thinking:

Thank you for the idea! :nerd_face:

Best regards,
Jason

2 Likes

No ammo= no range time
No range time=no need for a range bag
It all works out, doesn’t it? :rofl:

2 Likes

Buy a range bag=prepare for finding Ammo
Buying ammo=preparing for range day
Going to the range=preparing for self defense

It wasn’t raining, when Noah started building the Ark.

3 Likes

I need a good range bag. My cheap duffle bag just ain’t cutt’n it.

1 Like

I wasn’t being threatened when I started carrying.

2 Likes

Good one @Alces_Americanus :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I’m flexible.
When I shoot at the BLM borrow pit range, or my buddy’s ranch, the trunk of my car is my range bag.
At the Trap range, my old range bag—a WW2 GI surplus bag—holds ammo, a Bore-snake & misc.
At the rifle range, a small back pack and ammo can holds my accoutrements and doubles as a rest
At the indoor range I use a “real” range bag generous enough to contain two locked MTM cases, hearing protection, ammo and everything else I’ll need.

1 Like

I am a minimalist. I don’t see the need to carry 40 pounds of junk with me when I go to the range. I use a plain non descript black backpack. Just enough room for ear and eye protection, a couple of boxes of ammo and one or two pistols to use that day.

3 Likes

total opposite of Busterdog here, most trips. My pos NRA broken zippered camo duffel bag carries my spotting scope, boresnakes, some tools and allen wrenches, ballistol, rags,lead free wipes, a towel for my shooting elbow, used for support with rifles benchrest, cotton swabs,bug repellent, and usually some ammo is in there…the USCCA bag carries pistols, pistol ammo and mags, and I generally use a 3 gun bag to pack two rifles, mags and rifle ammo…some days another rifle bag gets added.
the 3 gun bag has backpack straps, and the other bags have long straps that I can use to shoulder carry.

4 Likes

It is not the bag but, how you use it…she said…

3 Likes

I have a gym bag with side pockets to hold ammo and other accessories. Guns, targets, and eye-pro/ ear pro go in main compartment. When I shoot the long guns, I have a separate bag with backpack straps that carries the guns, and I take both to the range.

2 Likes

And don’t forget a first aid kit! Slide bite is real :grimacing:!

3 Likes