Range Bag Dump: Duffle-like bag or range backpack?

When we go to the range we have many options for transporting our gear. We want something easy to carry and will make it easy to access all of our tools for the range.

Which do you prefer:

• Duffle-like bag
  • Backpack
  • Other please describe below

0 voters

1 Like

Mine looks more like a computer bag but not. I have three spots. Two for ammo and a bigger spot for my handgun. I also have to zip up spots for tools.

3 Likes

I have a couple of duffle-type (one GPS and the other is USCCA) and one backpack-type (Glock) range bag. I very much prefer the duffle type because I can access everything I need to from the open main compartment. The backpack bag is much better as a day hike pack than a range bag. But, I got a great deal on it.

3 Likes

Duffle type for me. Flat bottom that stands up without support. Many pockets for storage.

3 Likes

Depends on what I’m shooting. If just my pistol and / or AR Pistol I use a backpack to carry the AR Pistol, ammo, ear and eye pro, etc. I have a double rifle bag if shooting my 16" and / or AR Pistol.

1 Like

Hornady Range duffle-ish.
Contents: Eyes and ears, ammo 9,22lr; 1911/22, Ruger LCR22, Beretta Tomcat, extra mags, mag loader, cleaning kit, hornandy spray lube, brass rod and small hammer, USCCA instructional books and range cards, tape, snap caps all cals, marker,

2 Likes

My range bag is a pick up truck where I can do most anything except thread in a new barrel.

That said if I am doing a comp I squish the bare essentials into a backpack. Which means I can tear my primary weapon down to component parts and rebuild it with replacements. More room is taken up for environmental considerations than gun maintenance. 15lbs plus ammo, fluids and food for the days events, net 40lbs max for a one day event, 60lbs for 3+ days (ammo may over load this).

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

So far I’ve been using handgun bags (purse like) and rifle bag. I need to put together some sort of range bag with first aid equipment too. Still not sure what I’ll do.

2 Likes

Most people do not have first aid equipment, you should. I have a 2nd EMT bag with me.

5 Likes

Yes! I have an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) hanging on the wall in the rifle bay. At classes I also have a separate IFAK First aid kit sitting there in plain site.

This is what hangs on the wall.

This is in my truck all the time and also what I bring to every class

1 Like

I have 2 range bags. 1 is a Browning and the other is a FDE version of the Browning bag made in Malaysia. It’s an actual range bag, not a duffel or a backpack. More like a soft tool bag. Like these…

Old school beats tacticool. 1 of these is my comp bag and the other is my instructor/RSO bag. Basics common to both are: elec muffs, Surefire Sonic Defenders, several pairs of foam ear pro, spare eye pro, trauma kit, bandaids, Neosporin, sunscreen, bug spray, staples + staple gun, masking tape, duct tape, red sharpie, Leatherman, LED flashlight, and small zip-loc bags.

1 Like

At last count there are 7 range bags in the garage (probably more) depending on what is m doing in a certain outing. From Trap to training the needs are different and I don’t want to reconfigure bags. I have several IFAKs and at least one and is always with me at the range and there’s s a bigger first aid kit in n the back of the SUV at all times.

3 Likes

I like range bags that don’t look like range bags.
I’ve been known to even press an Igloo Lil Playmate into service

4 Likes

I use a big Makita tool bag. It’s nice and heavy duty and dosen’t scream gun.

2 Likes

From still a newbie, I like one range bag for being able to use hand-gun and or rifle accessories both on the same range day. Mine has a long shoulder strap so both hands are free.

Although in my case, when I bring the rifle, I carry it in its own rifle case. If I bring the rifle, my range bag dubs as my lean on and aim bag/rest as I sit, using a large towel specific for wiping down firearms is comfortable when using the rifle.

Like another who posted, my bag’s logo hides the fact that it’s for the range, I do not need that attention, especially to reduce theft. :mask:

1 Like

The same reason I only carry little trauma kits with a RAT-T TQ in each range bag. I always have an expedition grade EMT kit in the back of the SUV and have my go bag in there 90% of the time. The go bag contains a very beefy IFAK and another trauma kit. Use the first aid supplies mentioned…all of them…way more often than I have needed a gun in an emergency. 6 years in the infantry taught me the same thing. I used an entrenching tool, a flashlight, a map and compass, TP, duct tape, and first aid supplies far more than anything else I carried (except for water, of course).

2 Likes

For range trips, I use both, it all depends on what I am shooting for the day. If I am just shooting handguns, I have a backpack that has integral handgun pouchs which makes a nice easy to carry unit. If rifles are in the mix, then a duffel, one that holds all the extra stuff that I might need such as rests of various sources, larger magazines, etc.

1 Like

I would have like to receive one upon me joining but I guess I just missed out and now I see they are being offered to new members. Guess I have to let my membership end and wait for a while till the duffle bag is offered again in order to receive one. Lol

2 Likes

I use the LAPG patrol bag, but I carry a lot of stuff. Targets, cleaning kits, tools, tape, brass catcher, batteries for different optics, ear plugs, headphones, Stapler, and a first aid kit.

2 Likes

For targets, I carry an artist’s portfolio case. It allows me to carry my targets flat. Yeah, it can be a bit unwieldy to haul around, but I’m at the range. I expect to haul crap around at the range. :slight_smile:

5 Likes