Question about Florida Statute 790

I have been researching a question that was asked of me, so I’m putting it out to the members on here.

According to Florida law (F.S. 790), an individual has to be 21 or older to purchase a pistol and / or ammunition. But there’s also a passage in the statute that says that an individual between the ages of 18 - 21 can possess a firearm in their home, and use it defensively should the need arise. So which is it? If a 19 year old is moving away from home (within Florida), can their parents purchase a weapon for them? Or if they do, are they guilty of supplying a firearm to an unauthorized individual?

The reading of the law is not clear on this to me. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer and don’t play one on TV but those words means an 18-21 can have a gun in THEIR home.
Possess is not ownership
Caveat:
DO NOT TAKE THIS AS LEGAL ADVICE>
I am most likely wrong.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Keith169 glad you could join us. I would had to do a little research before I add my 2 cents.

From what I can find you must be 21 years of age to buy .a gun in FL. But I believe it you are under the age of 21 and is in the military or honorably discharged, you can get a permit/license in FL. F.S. 790.17 Furnishing weapons to minor under 18 years of age or person of unsound mind and furnishing firearms to minors under 18 years of age prohibited.

3 Likes

Virginia has a similar law. One cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL until 21 years old, but can be given one as a minor, or privately purchase one between the age of 18 and 21 years old. In Virginia, one can possess a handgun in public (OC), but not legally CC, between 18 and 21 years old. Laws that prevent legal ownership are always debated, like drinking, voting, smoking, legal age of adulthood, etc., what age is the proper age that one is “allowed” by law to have his/her rights and be considered responsible for ones actions?

3 Likes

Thank you. I didn’t think of the possession aspect as a military service caveat.

1 Like

I know right? I think of all these laws that apply differently whether someone is 18 or 21 and get pretty upset that government couldn’t just leave the age of adulthood at 18. It seems to me that someone is a legal adult citizen, or they’re not.

2 Likes