Can an 18-year old purchase a handgun in your state?

Today a student in my Concealed Carry and Home Defense Class asked me.

“ Can an 18-year-old purchase a handgun in Michigan?”

Here is what I told them.

An 18-year-old in Michigan can purchase a handgun legally. However, under federal law, they cannot buy the pistol from a gun store with an FFL. So an 18-year-old can only buy a handgun from a private individual who does not have an FFL.

This comes from Michigan Legislator 28.422 (Section 3-B)

But what about Federal Law?

Here is what the Federal Government, specifically the ATF, says about 18-year-old owning handguns.

“ An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same state, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. A federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.

There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.”

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]

An 18-year-old cannot get their Concealed Pistol License because you have to be 21; however, an 18-year-old can legally Open Carry in Michigan.

Can an 18-year-old legally purchase a handgun in your state?
Do you think 18 years old should be able to buy a pistol?

4 Likes
  1. I don’t know.
  2. Absolutely, yes.
5 Likes

In Wisconsin it is the same as Michigan. And YES I think 18 should be legal. :+1:

2 Likes

As of July 1 this year it would be impossible (legally) for an 18 yo to purchase a handgun even from a private seller as all gun sales must now go through an FFL in VA.

Have no issues with an 18 yo and a hand gun.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

In Texas you have to be 18 to purchase a handgun from an FFL, and 21 to legally carry. I have no problem with a responsibly armed 18year old.

1 Like

Can an 18 years old be shipped to a war zone in uniform?

2 Likes

That is being worked on in court and currently an injunction blocked that part of the law, and now allows it, even between two 18-20 year olds.

https://us20.campaign-archive.com/?u=b28f1d9ea359b104b09836c4c&id=7b1da92eaf

1 Like

@Dave17 Good looking out I didn’t know that! Unfortunately they left the private purchase part intact. I’m waiting for the August special session to see what else they ram through.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I live in Michigan and yes it is legal to buy a handgun at 18 but you cannot conceal curry until 21

1 Like

Yessssssssssss. But not from an FFL dealer. Gifted or from a private seller, so stated in the original post. :+1:

2 Likes

Actually, that is what the injunction is for, as those 18 years old and under 21 year old are not able to purchase handguns from FFLs, but they are legally able to own handguns in Virginia. The background check law made it legally impossible for those in that group to obtain handguns.

“On July 14, a judge in Lynchburg, VA, partially blocked enforcement of the Commonwealth’s new ban on private firearm sales, ruling it effectively prohibits law-abiding adults under age 21 from acquiring handguns, in violation of Virginia’s constitutional right to keep and bear arms.”

2 Likes

I had to look this up. In SC an 18 year old may purchase a handgun, but cannot carry concealed until they are 21. I have no problems with a properly trained 18 year old carrying a handgun.

3 Likes

My understanding here in Ohio is it illegal to buy/sell a handgun under 21. Long guns sales are set at 18. As for possession, Ohio follows federal law of 18.