Florida Gun Laws 2024

Florida Gun Laws 2024

1 Like

Yeah
I am not about to give “everytown”, who I think is handgun control inc in their current name, a click

I can also safely say that Florida is not lacking any ‘critical’ control laws

6 Likes

I moved to Florida two and a half years ago so I’m still new. The only issue That I have with Florida gun laws is that being a 30 year retired LEO with an HR-218 Federal permit that allows me to carry concealed nationwide I still have to wait three days to complete a firearm purchase, but if you have a Florida CCW you can walk out the same day with it. Sit in a classroom for a few hours, shoot a paper target and you are good to go, spend a career in law enforcement where you get training many could only wish they could get, actually be involved in real life shoot don’t shoot situations and it’s sorry but you have to wait. I know people here in Florida that have a permit and can’t even manipulate or properly handle a firearm but they got to walk out the same day with it. Okay rant over, Florida fix your gun purchasing laws.

6 Likes

Yeah, that entire law needs to not exist at all

3 Likes

Long time Florida resident here. The only thing I’d change is to allow open carry. I still wouldn’t personally plan on open carrying often, but it would be nice to have the option, say, when bicycling in the woods. Right now it’s only allowed when hunting, camping or fishing, not when hiking, biking or other similar activities.

Basically, in carefully reading all the USCCA reciprocity laws, I’d say Florida has some of the most pro2A laws in the country, and we’re the 3rd largest state, with some huge metropolitan areas, yet somehow pur crime remains relatively low and our cities fairly safe.

5 Likes

FL has another major, unconstitutional restriction: That dealing with the minimum purchase age being 21.

18-20 year olds are adults and deserve every uninfringed Right and Liberty the same as any one else

3 Likes

Actually, that’s an important one I did forget to mention. I wish my 19 year old college student daughter could carry. She works nights at Panera and probably has more reason to need to carry than most of us.

Do the states set age limits on concealed carry? For some reason I thought it was nationwide that under 21 couldn’t CC.

2 Likes

States set that. There are states where it is legal for an 18 year old to private party purchase a handgun, and then carry said handgun.

Federally you must be 21 to acquire a handgun from an FFL so people get that confused sometimes but, yeah, state law
it’s possible for states to allow 18 year olds to carry handguns and in some that is the case.

I’m pretty sure FL also has laws not allowing 18-20 year olds to buy firearms from retail which is horribly anti Constitution anti Rights anti Liberty all the things

3 Likes

I’m here in Georgia I’ve been carrying a handgun since I was 18 it’s allowed with military service finishing basic training. You can’t buy one but you can carry it until you’re 21. I finished basic but has some issues in Atlanta which had to be resolved leaving me without a military career PS they wanted me to go back through basic after it was resolved I should have said yes

1 Like

so here is my opinion, so at 18 you can vote and die for this country then you should be able to buy firearms carry open or ccw drink if you want your an adult. make ccw national just like drivers license are. and i won’t even get into the Leo thing.

4 Likes

Yes!

Only I’d say make no permit required national since even the carry permit is an infringement.

But yes, pick an age, currently it’s 18, and that is the age. Vote, tobbaco, alcohol, guns, marriage, etc. One age, all the adult things

4 Likes

i know it’s an infringement but if like driver’s license then we could carry in all states as it should be. also we should be able to buy are firearms from other states that we are in if we wish to.

3 Likes

Everytown is not 2A-friendly.

4 Likes

Driving is a privilege.

3 Likes

It is not gun violence I am trying to prevent it is criminal gun violence. Without criminal gun violence e wouldn’t need gun violence. The way to stop violence is to first stop criminal violence. If one hates and wants to stop all violence, one has to know how to love.

Not exactly.

There are still plenty of non-firearm violence to which a firearm defense is justified.

I’m sure we are all aware of exactly how much violence there was before firearms were invented, and also as firearm users recognize the truth behind the quip about Sam Colt making men (and women) equal.

If if criminals could only use knives, and bows, and spears, and hands, and hammers, and not firearms, there would still be a place for justifiably using firearms.

6 Likes