PSCO says Dunedin man defended his home

My belief this is another reason for TRAINING.

3 Likes

I tend to agree about the training, 30 rounds at a target that is outside of the house seems concerning, but I am assuming there is more that the LEO’s know than what is readily apparent (link isn’t working for me). But I do find the story about a pool guy doing work at 9:00 at night with a flashlight to be hard to believe as well.

6 Likes

Thats some crazy stuff. What an idiot pool guy. So the Colonel “sprayed and prayed”??? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Seems hard to justify 30 rounds at someone in your backyard who is holding a flashlight and a pool skimmer.

If there isn’t more to this story and it was just the pool guy doing his thing then not a smart move for him showing up unscheduled without a call or knock on the door to let the owner know he was gonna be out there late at night. Though I have had contractors show up unannounced days late or early and outside of usual work hours on a couple of occasions. It usually happens when they are swamped and trying to squeeze in some extra work because they are already in the area.

5 Likes

Where do you start with this foolishness?

I really wish to say from my heart
 Stupid people shouldn’t Breed! They shouldn’t have guns and if they
are incapable of making sound decisions they shouldn’t be free to roam this earth by themselves.
Pool guy was a fool, No knock, No bell rung just go out a clean and pool @ 9pm, pitch black w/ a friggin’ flashlight (and a skimmer). He’s really lucky he didn’t get dead. It is bad decision on top of bad decision and I will leave poor dip sh-- alone

Home/Gun Owners
 wphew! First off open the GD Blinds! CALL OUT till you get a response or hear fading footfalls! I HAVE A GUN! A-HOLES! NO response? Fall back. ARE YOU AND THE MISSES in PERIL? NO, DON"T FRIGGIN’ SHOOT ! Can’t see (no clear field of fire?) You called the man and were on the phone w/ dispatch hang back. Perp/Pool jerk starts kickin’ in the damn slidin’ doors you still aren’t in DIRECT DANGER, YET! You have time on your side, does he even have a weapon? Is he going to poke your eye out w/ the ‘skimmer’? And WTF are you doing blasting away @ nothing??? He had no clue. You idiot! If I was his back door neighbor I would have bitch slapped the dumb sh-- till he didn’t know his own name! (30) rounds? OH MY GOD! Sounds like English wasn’t their first language also. If they shot @ Cops, IRIS’s, bureau of Almost Totally F–ked! they’d be a Jackson Pollock painting on their ‘family room walls’ OH MY GOD! (again). And yet they lived ! All of them !. Yes Matilda there is a GOD! And the Cops
 Ohm
Ohm
Ohm (me meditating) Well lets just say these home owners got REALLY lucky there. This husband kept firing.
The Man was on the way, No immanent danger to he and his wife, and Oh yeah he fired a full Mag
 Ohm
 If that were one of US, We’d be with the J6’ers in Solitary in our underwear!
THIS should be taught in classes across the country from now on! MANDATORY of what NOT to do!
Did this Moron w/ an AR ever take a class? Hocevar
don’t get me started
 Hey how about turning on a deck light> HUH? No let’s just blast away like you are Yosemite Sam! When GOD was giving out brains did this mook think he said trains? and say I’ll have a Choo-Choo! Totally Possible! This is worse than the Jerk clerk who locked in a ‘Pit Viper’ in the gas station over $3.80 worth of food (donuts and coffee) !
This world is devolving folks. We will be back in caves in a few generations going ‘Fire hot UGH! Burned hands!’ ( If the current mental Giant) doesn’t get us in a shooting war with just about everybody!
I’m glad I only have to worry about MY SISTER and You guy’s.
Brothers be careful. Please be safe. Arm up and train who’s close to you (if you can).
We are in some weird times here folks.

I am extremely concerned I may not make it to (64). (63)in August so MAYBE there’s hope, but
 :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Don’t let anybody put your head on a stick.
Peace Out!

5 Likes

Hopefully there is more to the story than the brief blurb I was able to read. But even if the homeowner was somehow clearly legally justified to use deadly force they may not be completely off the hook. They could still face civil charges from the pool guy or the neighbors.

This is one more reason why when presented with a threat on our property plan A is to get the family to our safe area and let the potential attackers come to us in an area where we have some significant advantages to both positively identifying the threat and dealing with it.

8 Likes

BOOM! And ^^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^^ Brother is how it’s done!

4 Likes

Some parts of this puzzle are missing.
I hear strange noises in my backyard after sunset, check cameras, 911, lock and load, sit tight behind closed doors!

Emptying a high capacity magazine in the dark with an AR-15 “style” rifle, gives them another reason to burn the 2A.

I understand the world is jumpy, heck, I don’t answer the door without my sidearm, but I don’t unload on the plumber. It also seems these days no one comes to my door for any type of service unless they call first!
In some cases I warn new companies, it’s in their best interest to call before knocking! Send a text, an email, attach a photo, make sure they have proper documentation and ID. If you’re unexpected, we don’t answer.

Interestingly, owners of pools, aren’t they required to have locked fences or gates? Especially in Florida, if I recall, it’s the law.

7 Likes

Can’t speak to Florida but in the couple of States where I knew someone with a pool the “lock” on the pool enclosure only needed to be a latch that would be difficult for very your kids to open.

5 Likes

Damn Plumbers charge so much! BANG! (kidding! ARGH!)

Good morning fellow WARRIORS!

My concern also was it makes us 2A’s all 'Trigger Happy" Gun nutz.
This guy may be an anomaly but THAT’s all it takes to paint us all with the same brush.
But what really struck me this morning was what ScottFive-Tw0 just said
“I understand the world is jumpy
” THAT’s even more reason for people (Gunners especially)
to keep our heads and fingers outta the trigger guards. It could be ‘anybody’ out back or front
for the dumbist of reasons.
I don’t see Terrorists lurking around the corner everywhere I go ( I really don’t) Honest
 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But this guy was lucky, Killing somebody leaves a mark on your soul
and I don’t wish that on anybody.

6 Likes

Shotgun Joe says all you have to do is fire a 12 gauge into the air, and all your problems will be solved.

6 Likes

Yeah I wonder what well qualified self defense instructor taught him that strategy??

Endanger your neighbors by firing shots randomly into the air and let the criminals know that you are now holding a uselessly empty double barrel shotgun.

Good thing for his family he is much better at collecting bribes and laundering money than he would be at protecting them from real threats. Not sure the Secret Service would go out of their way to protect him and his family either since he allegedly likes to spend his spare time groping the agents’ wives.

6 Likes

On a similar note; I’ve had Amazon drivers show to my house at 10pm. Totally dark without a call or email. I position myself to watch and shoot if needed. I have since put directions to not deliver after 6pm.

3 Likes

I live on the end of a dead end, and the property adjacent to mine wraps around the end of the street and down the other side. They have a gate with their house number on it, but drivers have to get out and open the gate.

One night at about 9pm we heard someone in our side yard. The window was open and my wife and I were in the living room. I turned on the spotlights and there was an Amazon driver, walking around in my side yard, wondering where the neighbor’s address was. He literally looked in my window and asked about the neighbor’s house number. The next day I put motion alarms around the whole property, and we don’t ever have the windows open after dark now, even when we’re in the room, and I’m always armed.

It’s sad that we have to be that way, but our house is locked up like Fort Knox these days. The guy in Dunedin was crazy for leaving his patio and slider unlocked. The pool guy shouldn’t have been able to enter the screen room when the owner didn’t know. The owner is lucky he didn’t kill the guy. He failed on basic security. He also failed on rule 4, big time.

5 Likes

Oof. Someday, it’s going to happen. Some poor Amazon delivery woman is going to be working overtime, delivering packages at night, and some paranoid homeowner (or drug dealer) is going to shoot her the moment she steps on the porch.
I hope it never happens, and I hope no one here gets their picture in the news.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of second-guessing acts of self-defense but this one is too tempting.

:man_facepalming:t4:

5 Likes

[Sheriff] Gualtieri also stated that Bradley Hocevar is a retired lieutenant colonel from the army, so obviously he was trained in firearms and fighting.
(Emphasis mine)

2 Likes

A good reminder that Military and LEO tactics don’t directly translate to home defense scenarios.

2 Likes

And not to state the obvious, but Lieutenant Colonels don’t train on individual firearm tactics. IF a LTC is combat arms (and there are plenty of branches that aren’t), his primary weapon is a battalion.

4 Likes

Agree. There are many qualified and capable military folks here. But not all military folks are well trained and practiced in combat techniques.

Though maybe he was trying to use suppressive fire techniques to pin down the threat?

5 Likes