Protector fails

I thought about talking to the guy but didn’t want to take eyes off the vehicle by going back in and was running too late to make a scene when he got out. Plus I think it’s important to not call out protectors in front of their kids. Kids shouldn’t have to live life worried that their parents aren’t on the ball.

1 Like

Statistically, more people are killed in vehicular crashes with “safety belts” than without. However, the likelihood of dying in a car crash are very low, but the percentage of deaths of those with safety belts are fewere than those without, as the compliance rate is nearing 70%.

As to the tech issues @Shamrock is mentioning, there are studies showing that the awareness level of drivers is reduced as the amount of computer control increases. This does lead to more crashes due to computer failures. The other issue that Shmarock mentioned, such as the auto-breaking and cruise control automatically slowing the vehicle can cause issues and potential hazards if the driver is not paying attention, which, read above, is more likely. I have experienced that, too, numerous times.

If it is the auto-breaking, there is nothing, as the driver, one can do about that. If it is the radar cruise control, and one is aware, one can hit the accelerator to compensate - I have done just that too many times to mention. It mostly happens on curves on the road, where the vehicle in the next lane “appears” to the computer to be in front of you, even though it is in another lane. Your vehicle will slow down dramatically, if you are not paying attention.

1 Like

That statistic is a great example how useless statistics can be

My vehicle may be better than most since it’s so new but neither of ours, which have had auto braking for years, have ever slowed down due to incoming traffic on a curve

1 Like

My favorite is going to the store with my wife. Almost every time I will see a woman with her purse in her cart turn her back to grab something off of a shelf. I almost always tell them it only takes 1 second for someone to lift a wallet or set of keys. This while I’m standing next to their cart. Some are shocked. Some say thank you . Some look at me like I’m a thief. What amazes me is how many woman don’t zip their purse closed in the cart. Oh and my wife says to stop doing it. :innocent:

2 Likes

I have a old rig. I had to drive a New Honda a while back. The sun roof was open and it got cold. I couldn’t figure out how to shut it and the heater didn’t help much on the highway. I found out after that it had heated seats ; that might have helped cause I froze ass off. Don’t like the new putt putt cars. When did you ever hear of having to put your butt in the car before the rest of you. My rig has a regular key, Roll up windows
And the worst thing is it has electronic ignition.
PS: if I’m lucky my rig will outlive me. I never gave the rig a name cause I could never figure out its gender. ZOOM BEEP BEEP.

3 Likes

If I was going down to the PO to check my PO box I wouldn’t take the grandkids anyway. More than likely I would be taking the dog though. So I would leave all the windows cracked open just enough to allow someone to reach in to manually operate the manual lock. That way the dog could bite the hell out of him/her.

3 Likes

Yes, the technocrats would have us purchase electronic guns that only the owner can operate. I’m sorry. I know I am an old fashioned Luddite, but I have a couple of electronic devices that work absolutely flawlessly MOST OF THE TIME. In an emergency situation I don’t want a device that operates perfectly most of the time. I really prefer mechanical devices that operate the way they are supposed to almost 100% of the time. With most strictly mechanical devices, one can usually tell when something is starting to get wonky. The trigger feels just a little different. The slide doesn’t seem to be going all the way back. I am not talking about the fellow who only takes his firearm to the range once every couple of years to fire a box of ammo and then puts the gun away. I am talking about the fellow or gal who goes to the range regularly and is familiar with the firearm. As with the old cars that didn’t have chips and such. You knew that on a cold start you had to jiggle the gas pedal a couple of time to get it to start. You knew the clutch was starting to slip a little. And best of all, you could drive any car. They didn’t come with 150 page manuals.

2 Likes