Pros & Cons

Any comments about aftermarket captured spring recoil rods, or recoil systems such as DPM offers, to reduce wear and battering the slide places on the frame?

1 Like

I’m not fun of DPM system, however I’d recommend it for short barrel semi-autos. Not because of “magic recoil reducement” but for longer assembly life.
I’ve been using captured recoil spring from Taran Tactical for 4" - 5" barrels and I’m very happy with it.
I’m trying to stay with flat springs if available.

3 Likes

It sort of depends on the brand of pistol too. From my experience with Glocks, it helps to change out springs/rods and replace with a tungsten rod. Keep in mind, when choosing a spring the options of more/less “spring tension” as it (not will or wont) but could throw off slide racking when firing.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I have a PPQ 9mm. It came with what I call a dart stick for a guide rod (looks like an old plastic dart without the suction cup end). I replaced it with steel. I considered a reduction system, but went with just solid steel. Has anyone used a DPM on their pistol, and is the recoil reduction noticeable enough to make the purchase; does it make that much difference for the average shooter? Also, has anyone gone with tungsten over steel? I see videos where people are saying this is not worth it for average shooters, but is if you’re a competition shooter.