Private Business Weapons Bans

A recent experience for me, went to donate plasma for the first time, there was a no weapons sign near a second door not at the main entrance of the center…

Signage not visible at the main entrance and Oregon, business that post such signs do not have force of law as I recall making the signs invalid technically.

Still, you can be asked to leave and if you do not they can press trespassing.

So my current bit with them is invalid, guess I will go back in tomorrow after work and leave it at home for the physical…

I hate to not be able to carry but donating is beneficial to my health…

Anyone experience similar?

2 Likes

Where signs are not lawfully enforceable I tend to ignore them and if they wish to ask me to leave they can and I will.

Be sure you know the relevant law as to what is and isn’t enforceable and if you choose to walk past signage that is not lawful do so with discretion is all I can say.

4 Likes

The hospital I go does NOT have a “No Guns” sign at all, but if I enter through the Cancer Center section of the hospital there is a “No Guns” sign. PA is a state where signs are not law. This sends a mixed message. Since I want and need my treatment, I will not carry when I go.

3 Likes

A cancer treatment is definitely worth not carry, @J_Richard! Have you mentioned it to the staff there? You don’t need to tell them you carry, but you can say that you’ve noticed the discrepancy with how often you’ve been to the hospital.

1 Like

@Dawn I have not metioned to anyone. I just do not carry when I go for treatments and check-ups. If I do go for other reasons and enter through the front lobby I go ahead and carry. I just do not visit the cancer section of the hospital at that time. I was thinking about mentioning to a friend who is on the board of directors.

3 Likes

Definitely do so. Whatever position they take on the matter, it should be made clear to everyone prior to entry.

Regards

3 Likes

I live in Utah and the signs have no legal force. I frequent the local Cinemark Cinema and they do have a no gun sign. I ignore that and have never had a problem. I understand why they have the sign after the Colorado shooting but they are very misguided. I know they are posting for liability reasons but I want to at least have a chance to defend myself or my family in a similar situation. If they ever do notice I am carrying and make a fuss about it, I will not patronize them in the future. The only reason I do now is their popcorn is so much better than the competition…

3 Likes

Walked in, same guy who asked me to leave the first time, I said hello and I’m back, picked up right where we left off essentially.

As long as I’m regular, physicals should be yearly… even so, maybe it will be a good time to practice purse carry (my everyday bag).

Funny thing, I’ll use a lot of the money from donating plasma to buy more guns, starting with what I’m calling a fire ant…

1 Like

Like most if not all mass shootings, even one "responsibly armed American in that crowd might have significantly reduced the number of casualties.

Those nuts choose what they think will be soft targets for a reason. As I recall, the Aurora shooter avoided five other theaters closer to his home that were not “gun free zones” that were all showing the same movie that night.

3 Likes

Hey I’ve got a buddy that carries three or four of those depending on where he’s going and the circumstances, he loves them. He’s been carrying them I think since around 2003 when I first met him.

2 Likes

I really wish legal CCW carriers would boycott businesses that put up no firearms signs. Especially publicly held companies. I truly hate disarming myself to go to the Dr. and I just don’t go near post offices or other Federal buildings.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D

I commonly do but this one is beneficial to my health and now that my physical is complete and as long as I change the way I carry and get a new gun for ultra concealed (the fire ant pistol), they will never know (their sign does not have the force of law)

1 Like

Prominent display of signage outside the business allows everyone to make the choice of patronage before ever setting foot inside the door. I must respect the choices of others if I expect them to respect mine.

Regards.

1 Like

Do you use the “Posted!” app? I recently started. It lets you tag both gun-friendly and anti-gun businesses as you encounter them, and you can frequent those who get it and avoid those who don’t.

2 Likes

@David38

This particular place does not display their sign outside their business, this one has a small little sign on a second set of doors going inside. You have to go in the main door before you can even see the sign…

1 Like

I don’t know laws in your state/locality, but here in KY that sign would be legally meaningless since it is not displayed in accordance with statute. That doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t still be cited for trespassing if you didn’t leave when asked. That would be a matter of interpretation for the responding LEO.

Regards

1 Like

I would like to update everyone on the “No Weapons” sign at the cancer center. I asked the person in charge and she said the maintenace staff came down and said they were instructed to place the sign on the door. So far they have had to have one man removed from the facility because he showed them he was carrying concealed. (Does not make sense.)

I then informed the lady that there was no sign on the main entrance to the hospital that the cancer center is part of. She was totally shocked and said she would be checking it out during her lunch time. I then stated that I could come in the front entrance and then go down the elevator to the cancer center and never see the sign.

In PA “No Weapons” signs do not equate to violating laws. If asked to leave the premise, all you have to do is leave. If you do not leave or cause a disturbance then you may be charged with treaspassing or other charges.

I will be back at the center next week for treatment and find out what the lady discovered.

3 Likes

Here in Ohio we have to obey the sign but if the sign isn’t an 8by 10 in ion red I don’t think it’s valid I just refuse to go into stores that have that sign I’ll take my business elsewhere

1 Like

@Brian16 some of the laws are very specific on what signage has to be - its good to know precisely because often the shop owners don’t know, and sometimes the officers don’t know - having your information accurate and handy can save you a whole lot of annoyance and pain. And I’m 100% with walking away if they don’t want my money.
If I’ve got a few extra minutes, I’ll call the shop owner and let them know how much of my money they didn’t get, and why. Then I list them on the Posted! ap as an anti-gun business and find a local pro-gun or at least neutral gun business to put on the app as an alternative :smiley:
Maximum feedback, maximum impact on their business. :+1:
And welcome to the group!

1 Like

If your gun fits in your purse, carry it in there.

1 Like