Prescription Drugs

A few years ago I read an article about prescription drugs and carrying PPE’s.
It said essentially that as long as the drugs didn’t impair your judgment and was for a specific purpose, you were safe to carry. This of corse is not the correct wording of the article but the copy I always carried with me was lost along with my wallet. Does anyone remember this article ? And possibly have a copy ? I would really like to have a copy of this article but have no idea where to look.
Thanks

5 Likes

My advice to you is to refer to your particular State laws regarding carrying a firearm while under the influence or using prescription drugs. Without knowing what State you live in, it would be difficult to direct you properly. Each State has its own law regarding this issue.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

On days I don’t feel well - dizzy, extremely tired, etc - I do not carry at all.

5 Likes

On those days I stay home. Conditions that could impair my judgement while carrying will also impact it while driving.

3 Likes

Another potential problem is having pills in your session without
A prescription label and your name on it, The pills could be considered a controlled substance. Now what ?

3 Likes

Those are the days I get my wife to drive.

3 Likes

That is why I carry the prescription print out forms that come with my medication in my wallet. They show the description of each pill that is in my pill case.

4 Likes

@Karacal >> I think the Prescription must be attached to the bottle.

2 Likes

Probably a better approach to look at your specific state law and apply some common sense.

I’m one-week removed from surgery and still on low-strength prescription painkillers. I have made a conscious decision to keep my EDC locked up until the prescriptions are done. Overkill? Perhaps. But I would rather have the decision in my hands rather than a legal system tilted against the 2nd Amendment.

3 Likes

“You should not carry prescription medication for which you don’t have a valid prescription. Likewise, you should keep your prescriptions in the bottles you receive from the pharmacy. You should not carry more than one prescription in a single bottle. It is not uncommon for someone to be charged with a drug related crime even when they have a lawfully administered prescription.

Many people make the incorrect assumption that just because a prescription drug is not illegal in the possession of someone who has a lawful prescription, they cannot be charged for having it in their possession. People will “bum,” “borrow” or “buy” prescription drugs off friends or acquaintances who have come into possession of a prescription drug by legal means. Unfortunately, this is a commonly charged criminal offense in Las Vegas and throughout Nevada. Common examples of this include painkillers (Lortab, Oxycontin), muscle relaxers (Soma) or barbiturates (Xanax). Under Nevada law, these are readily available, and often necessary, drugs prescribed by a medical doctor. In the possession of someone without that prescription however, it is a criminal offense. A charge such as this can seem to come from innocuous circumstances. However, a charge or conviction can have dire consequences to the person’s criminal record and professional career through facing the criminal justice process and the stigma that comes with it.

There are several defenses available to the charge of Possession of a Dangerous Drug without a Prescription. These include proof of a valid prescription, lack of proof of “possession” under the law, impermissible traffic stops and violations of a person’s constitutional rights against unlawful search and seizure.”
Source- Lvnvlawfirm

2 Likes

Via

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge.

Unless your medications are in their original appropriate Pharmacy labled prescription bottles… They are suspicious and or contraband . (even vitamins) Stupid yes but that is the way it is. and to a degree understandable .

Solution: … save medications from the last or previous clearly legible prescription in itheir original bottles and carry those… (Pills can change in appearance so you cannot just dump medications in an old bottle and call it good). Put a bit of Cotton in the bottle to prevent them from rattling and breaking down… I would advise you keep this process up to keep the bottles date relatively current…At least for now you are golden… (BTW I also do not want to carry a 90 day supply of medications around with me should I somehow lose them it would be a real pain in the neck) So the issue is understandable…

I do agree with the idea of keeping one’s last medical brief to include diagnosis and medications on your person. Doing that is sound for a number of reasons… Your Physician should be providing you with something of that nature after each visit so keep a current copy on you…That can further disuade silliness “Whats in this bottle I cannot quite read it?” should the matter come up.

Suggestion:

Get a lockbox for your car… even one with a locking cable is better than nothing (cover it with a blanket to keep it out of sight in a parking lot etc…It is a possible place for your firearm should the need arise and a place for your meds…BTW along the same line that lockbox when you lock it becomes luggage. Put on the back floor passenger side,…The lock box enjoys a different 4th Amendment Status than the accessable areas of your car during any cursory search for officers safety of your vehicle. For it’s contents to be accessed requires an escalation and therefor articuable cause to search… so if cannot be squeezed shaken or contents determined by sound or a dog…( at least enough to establish articuable suspicion for an elivated search) you should be good . There is an obvious basis for a pushbutton lock in this case… While this community generally appears to be the CCW. Keep in mind some states prohibit the transport of a firearm in the passenger section of the vehicle period and are quite specific as to where and how firearms may be transported…(California comes to mind) You must do your own dilligence and know the laws as they apply to you and your location or whereabouts.

Be in good health if and when you go out to for any reason , If you are driving drive the best you can to avoid the issue in general.

I am open to correction… Hope this helps…

2 Likes

Thats a great thought. Thinking about more than just yourself. Get well soon!! :us:

1 Like

Best answer so far however I was more concerned with the “under the influence” aspect. I had a mimeographed copy that stated in effect that while a person may have taken … let’s say a pain relief drug or something else. If it wasn’t affecting your judgment, then you would be ok…. Obviously I don’t have this worded correctly, I lost my wallet and my copy and was wondering if possibly anyone else had one.
Thanks !

1 Like

I decided to keep all of the meds in their primal bottles just to avoid issues when traveling.

1 Like

I only travel within my state and it is never over night.

I am 80 yrs old and have had many prescriptions in my life. I hand the RX to the pharmacist, they fill the Rx put a label on the bottle and FILE the original prescription form. You never keep the prescription form, so you don’t have anything to carry other than the bottle with the label on it.

Do you get intoxicated when you take your medicine?

If you feel a slight buzz then I would say NO!
Flee from carrying and don’t drive either!

I’m not a Medical Doctor so don’t take this as advice.

Ask your prescribing physician and he will tell you. If you are afraid to ask him then the answer is NO DONT CARRY A GUN WHILE TAKING MEDS!

1 Like

Thanks Rollie