Prescription drugs and concealed carry

Should a person who has a legitimate need for and uses prescription pain killers as directed be allowed to carry a firearm. Should you have to choose between being in pain or defending your self ?
Yes I understand It may alter you state of mind but so dose so many other things that we take or do every day
Caffeine,sugar,soda,coffee, smoking. All of these are addictive and alter your state of mind.
Now we all know drugs are bad and never mix well with firearms but is this the same thing

4 Likes

Shawn, most states might allow you to take prescription meds and have a concealed carry while others may consider this non-starters. It’s best to redirect this question at the authority who would issue you a permit as it’s ultimately up to them.

As far as my personal opinion, I feel like any pain meds that will reduce the pain without altering your state of mind would be no real consequence. However, those more heavy drugs that DO alter your state of mind should exclude you from carrying a firearm. I get pain…truly I do…but in my opinion, we need to be as clear headed as we can be to ensure we’re safely making the most rational choices and not emotional ones based on the meds we’re on. At the end of the day, arguing if it was a justified shooting while being on mind altering drugs is the last place you want to be while standing before a jury of your peers.

5 Likes

I was on some pretty helpful pain medications after a surgery a few years ago. While I was on the stronger stuff, I didn’t leave the house. I pretty much slept all of the time.

If you’re taking major pain pills that alter your mental state, how likely are you to be leaving the house or even to be alone?

Personal preference, have someone else with you at home while you’re on that strong of medication.

If it’s a long-standing pain medication, definitely check with your local sheriff and district attorney to see what the laws are in your state.

8 Likes

Personal opinion here;
If it impairs you enough to not drive, or operate heavy equipment, make the personal choice to not carry. Like drinking and driving. Don’t take the chance on making a life changing bad decision. If you are lucid, I don’t see a reason not to carry. I don’t want to get into a 3rd party deciding who is on too strong of a medication to exercise a right. What makes you unable to make sound decisions, may not affect me at all.

14 Likes

In my personal opinion if the meds alter your state of mind or even your reflexes I would not carry. Rest at home and keep it within arms reach. That’s what being a responsibly armed citizen is all about.

4 Likes

In Texas, you can basically take whatever meds you need to as long as “you’re not impaired”.

5 Likes

I would recommend against carrying while on prescription pain meds. If you are taking opiates or muscle relaxants, you place yourself at risk of the same impaired state as someone who drinks alcohol, correct? I have always taught that alcohol and drugs don’t mix with guns. I will continue to teach that.
I know many states require sobriety for concealed carry, and I would see this in a similar bent. I would also see this as a great opportunity for a prosecutor to throw your judgement into question in court.
The other substances you mention would generally not be regarding as drugs that adversely alter your mental status or your judgement, and would not be considered the same way (IMO).

4 Likes

Is this short term, like recovering from a surgery; or long term pain management?

If short term, I personally have chosen not to carry when I have been in that position. My rational is that I am almost 65 years old and have not had to resort to deadly force to defend myself - so far, so chances are slim, but never zero that I would get into a life threatening encounter.

If it is a long term pain management situation, then my decision would be a little stickier. I’ve never been in that situation, but I would think that over time your body would become accustomed to the medication as well as you and your provider would have adjusted to minimum required dosage, as well as maybe only taking when settled in for the night. If it was me in this situation, I would consult my USCCA attorney for guidance.

3 Likes

Shall not infringe. Of course, as responsible gun owners we are still responsible for every round in our weapon, regardless of what medications we are on. It’s a very slippery slope when we allow our government to start putting conditions on our carrying. So yes, a person should be allowed to carry regardless of meds.

3 Likes

Paul,

While we have the right to carry, we have the responsibility to do so safely using the soundest possible judgement. “Shall not be infringed” will not be an issue if the gun is in the hands of a responsible person–or to my point–not in their hand.
If you’re impaired, you should be wise enough to refrain from carrying, driving, signng contracts, taking out loans, etc., right?

3 Likes

@Aaron25, Aaron, agree 100%. But that decision should lie in the hands of the citizens, not the government.

4 Likes

I bring this up because 4 years ago I was shot twice once in the hip once in the leg it severed my femoral artery and my nerve and shattered 3 inches of my femur it left me with 3 rods and severe pain that has never gone away. I have not taken any type of medication for the pain. On my last Dr visit pain management was brought up and I was told that pain killers were my only real option. In my state this is out of the question because you can not carry wile under the influence of any narcotic and could and would be used against you if you had to defend yourself with a firearm.

4 Likes

Brother @Shawn31 after reading that post I’m just glad you are with us to tell the story. God bless you.

3 Likes

Thank you very much but to be honest it was the best thing to ever happen to me. It brought me to the Most High God to know him and to love and serve Him.

4 Likes

Do NOT check with your sheriff or district attorney! Check only with an attorney retained by YOU. There is nothing to stop that sheriff or DA from coming to get you based on your inquiry. Your attorney must keep your question(s) confidential.

Besides, most sheriffs and DAs do not give legal advice to private citizens anyway. Their duty is to the jurisdiction.

2 Likes

AGREE!!! The only reason we have so many laws in the first place is because too many individuals have chosen not to excercise good judgement and responsibility (IMO), and at the end of day, law or no law, the civil liability for an action will still fall on the defendant.

3 Likes

You cannot write laws to outlaw stupidity and accidents.

Shall not infringe, should stand as is. Writing ridiculous laws like magazine size, should be removed. Creating additional laws upon laws gets us to this state where law abiding responsible citizens are legally guilty until proven innocent by a court of law.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic - have you tried acupuncture for the pain, @Shawn31 ? My daughter found it incredibly helpful when she had a broken bone in her ankle and the pain pills didn’t help. (I am in NO way comparing the severity, just hoping to give you an additional idea that may help???)

2 Likes

Addictive yes, alter your state of mind??? I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you there. Alcohol can alter your state of mind not cigarettes, caffeine, sugar, soda or coffee. Alcohol yes!! For sure!! Not caffeine, sugar, soda, cigarettes or coffee. That is about the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

No i have not looked in to that I always thought that was a gimmick but I also never new anyone who has tried it but if you say it helped Your daughter then i will definitely check it out. Thank you

2 Likes