Prescription Meds

I’ve been carrying for awhile now and I’m getting older . So I’m taking prescribed medication , will this affect the outcome IF I’m involved in a self defensive shooting ? TY Carry On

This thread might help you, @James284

Also, what state are you in? Have you checked your state laws for specifics? (Check out the USCCA Reciprocity Map for your state laws.)

1 Like

I live in a Pro carry state , but also 3 to 40 miles of other states . I will check all those state laws . TY

1 Like

@James284 Not a lawyer, not a Doctor but I played one on a submarine for a long time and I’m certified to conduct Urinalysis Drug Screenings. Here is the sticky wickit for medications and carry. Any medication you take can be tested for or tested for an effect. You need your cholesterol down they test your cholesterol levels. NOW those we will call good medications that help us but don’t cause any negative effects. Then you get into OTHER and BAD meds that affect your behavior, mood, level of consciousness and so forth. So lets say you broke your foot, they give you NORCO or something similar. If you are involved in a SD event and they test you you will “pop positive” for an opioid metabolite. Metabolites are what your body produces when you “metabolize” drugs and they can last from 3 to 30 days. A prosecution attorney “could” use that as evidence that you were “under the influence”. Similar to a Breath Alcohol Test (BAT) [which I am also certified to conduct]. The problem comes in that the metabolites stay in your body longer than the effect of the drug.

Since this is 420 day I will use MJ as an example and the glaring problem. If you smoke a joint on the first of the month and you are a MK1-Mod 0 middle age guy with a couple extra pounds the MJ metabolite can stay in your system for 20 - 30 days. If you are in a SD event on the 10th or 15th or 20th you may still be positive for the MJ metabolite. The issue now is that you have the metabolite in your system but the effects of partaking in it have been gone since 6 hours after you smoked. Are you still under the influence? Obviously no. HOWEVER that little FACT will be used by the prosecutor to your detriment just like your NORCO script.

By ALL means follow your doctors orders but if you read the warnings on the Rx label and it says “May cause drowsiness. Do not operate dangerous equipment” or some such do a little research then talk with your MD. If your worried he/she/it is anti 2A then fib a little and say you work around dangerous equipment, chainsaws, table saws, rotating machinery whatever. See if there is an alternative Rx.

The good news. The most common drug tests are for DOT CFR 40 rules (truckers rules) and they test for Pot (THC), Speed (AMP), Meth (mAMP), Coke (COC) and Opiates (OPI) some other check for Ecstasy(MDMA) and PCP. In legal drug terms you should only be worried about Opiates (Pain Killers) and Amphetamines if you have ADD/ADHD or similar. If you have nose surgery you will probably pop for Coke but it will be in your record and doesn’t last that long.

Be smart about your meds and read about them.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Thanks for your input .