Lawful Prescription Drugs & Firearms

I’m usually in my USCCA shirt on weekends & while at my convenience store this afternoon, I was approached per usual concerning USCCA as well as their “desire” to obtain proper qualifications for the Louisiana, Concealed Handgun Permit.

However, this time became lost for an answer to his honest question & simply asked him the best method of contact and would reach back, possibly tomorrow. He is concerned could/would a physician’s prescription for ADHD medication prevents him from legally purchasing and owning a firearm? Equally important would it prevent him from obtaining a La, CHP?

I was stumped due to the fact on the questioner, I didn’t think twice because of not having a doctor for many, many years, therefore, I clicked “no” and move to the next.

In research was unable to find anything up-to-date but did however learn that a vast majority of Americans including permit holders have this diagnosis (even myself – as a child) but two questions still remain & not giving a TRUE answer would set him up for committing a crime.

Due to statics, there has to be someone in this form that ingests lawful medication and has a permit or at least knows someone that does. Tell me your information below to help this guy out!

5 Likes

@Randall318. There has to be a book or something else online about the licensing department of the state there in LA, like here in IL the Illinois State Police handle all the licenses for FOID and CCW Licenses. What does it say on your the back of your license? There has to be some state department who sets rules for everyone who has a license Randall. Here in IL there’s very specific laws written and printed for IL residents and Concealed Carry Laws.

4 Likes

Under federal law, taking a legally prescribed medication does not prevent you from purchasing or possessing a firearm.

9 Likes

Good questions & answer on the account I’ve figured as long as not intoxicated you are lawfully in possession.

“It declares those who suffer from mental infirmity due to disease, illness, or retardation which prevents safe handling of handgun; not to be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, depressants, stimulants, or narcotic drugs, not have been committed, either voluntarily or involuntary, for the abuse of a controlled dangerous substance; not have been adjudicated to be mentally deficient or been committed to a mental institution shall NOT exercise rights thereof.”

5 Likes

What @MikeBKY said :slight_smile: Thanks for the great support here, as always, Mike!!

3 Likes

The issue is actually a little more complicated legally, If you are being treated or have been treated by a mental health professions, you must read the state laws for a CCH very carefully. It would not necessarily keep you from carrying concealed or even owning a firearm. It would however as a number of things in Texas do. To have to get a doctors statement about your capacity or lack thereof for treatment of a number of conditions. It would have to be reviewed and a decision issued.
If you are a Veteran being treated for PTSD, you could pretty much hang up your right to own or even carry weapons in Texas.
If you are taking medication for a condition that could render you unable to make good judgement calls for any reason not just mental health, you could lose your right to own weapons or get a CCH in Texas. Again, it must be reported and evaluated.
You have to read the forms very carefully. Often temporary conditions are treated very differently or just going in for evaluation is not a mandatory reporting event.

2 Likes