Laws about taking medication for depression,& anxiety ,& being able to own firearms

Hi, I’m Willie My Girlfriend & I are searching for answers .I work the graveyard shift as a Tow Truck driver here in the S.F. CA, bay area. So We decided for Her piece of mind &to protect Her self on those long nights while I’m out working,that a firearm along with some safety&training courses is the way to go. Here is Our question,&concern. She has no arrest record ,not even a speeding ticket so far ,Her whole life.She suffers from anxiety & depression ,which She is under Doctors care & takes medication for. This being the case can She still in the State of Ca buy & own a firearm?If someone can tell Us what the laws both State &Federal are on this issue We would be most grateful if You could share what those laws are.Lots of people W eve ask about this issue have their own opinions but no legalities to back it up with.We seek only the truth on this issue its much to serious to second guess .Thanks to Everyone for reading this &to all who reply We really do appreciate it.Take Care,& be safe,Willie

4 Likes

Welcome to the family and hope you stay a while. God bless you.

2 Likes

I know here in VA when you apply for a CCW they ask questions regarding the use of medications.

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny for Your warm & heart felt welcome. God Bless You too &Your loved ones as well .

3 Likes

Where as I don’t know CA law, I’m thinking no.
I know and understand your need for her self protection but you’ll have to start googling CA law to check it out.

3 Likes

Welcome, Brother!!!
I would recommend calling the USCCA and getting the legal advice from a CA attorney.
P.S. There’s a lot of places that will welcome you when you get tired of the People’s Republic of San Francisco…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is a link to the laws of CA:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/

The above capture is about Concealed Carry. We know that California has a plethora of different laws and legal environments when it comes to firearms. I would highly suggest contacting an attorney in your area for their advice - and also talk to your local police department/district attorney to get their take on how the laws in your area will be interpreted.

Sorry I don’t have a concrete answer for you @Williekillagain. California can be very pro and very anti firearm and self-defense depending on where you are. Your local authorities and experts will have a better understanding of the laws and be able to give you the best advice possible.

4 Likes

From the quick look I took, firearm ownership doesn’t seem to be effected by medications. I would definitely check with an attorney, though. It’s California… they probably have unwritten laws we can’t read about… An attorney will know for sure.

4 Likes

Welcome! We are glad you are here!

3 Likes

Always seek the advice of an attorney, it’s my understanding that unless they’ve been adjudicated as mentally ill by a court of law, or been or currently receiving inpatient care, or while under the care of a mental health care provider made any threats to harm oneself or others then they’re a prohibited person under CA law.

Again, check with an attorney.

The CA DOJ website is always a good reference point especially with the ever changes/additions to the law and or definitions.

Here’s a great link to a pdf of Penal and Health/welfare codes

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/prohibcatmisd.pdf?

3 Likes

Usual pro forma declaration. I am not a Lawyer, I do not play a lawyer on TV and I did not spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express.

My understanding as far as the FEDERAL part of medication is you are fine to own a handgun if you take medication that is

1. Prescribed by your Dr.

2. It is being taken in the manner in which your Dr. prescribed it (yes I did consult the BATFE and an attorney). For Alabama.

For California I would have absolutely 0 clue.

Would definitely ask an attorney in your area. Maybe use the USCCA app to find an attorney in your area proficient in 2A issues

1 Like

See also Form 4473.

1 Like

That’s excellent advice and information You have shared with Us We will soon contact an Attorney before proceeding forward .Thanks for sharing this with Us.

2 Likes

I’m glad that question says ‘adjudicated’. My wife has accused me of mental defects ad nauseum. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Dawn, That’s great advice & good links We really appreciate You being kind and taking the time to help Us.Thank You.

3 Likes

Hey thanks Ken Things are sounding hopeful.

2 Likes

Thanks Randall & everyone in the Community who have responded in such a warm & positive way in making Us feel welcomed and given Us a sense of self-worth, and belonging within the Community Family .

2 Likes

Thank You Levi2, yes, We now plan to talk with an Attorney. You are so right about CA and all the hidden and unwritten laws . The only ones these laws seem to benefit and work in favor of in this area is the bad guys they seem to be operating with full immunity with no fear of getting caught for their crimes knowing if they are found out it’s almost certain that anything short of murder they will do no time for and even that I’m not so sure about anymore. A judge in the San Jose area recently allowed a convicted serial rapist who had been caught yet once again to be released with only His promise to appear because He didn’t want to risk Him getting COVID 19 in jail! Un believable. He has five prior rape convictions. I look so forward to the day We can afford to pack up the truck and leave this modern-day Sodom & Gomorra and not ever look back

1 Like

Thank You Brother, we are definitely going to follow Your good sound advice. Hoping to do a bit of scouting around up in the Pacific Northwest when this current health crisis is under control & it is once again safe to do so.We would

eventually love nothing more than to get out of the S.F. area hopefully before the whole area falls off into the Bay .

1 Like

Thanks We appreciate Your good sound advice. We will be soon finding an Attorney in Our area. Best Western over Holiday Inn .Have a good one.

1 Like