Preferred action

SA/DA for me. NO safety. If I have to take a well aimed shot I have the single action option with the lighter trigger. If I must hurry it still goes bang without cocking. To each their own as long as they train. Dr Pepper beats Coke/Pepsi thank you

4 Likes

Well, as anything in life and guns, it’s complicated. :smiley:
SA generally refers to guns that fire with a hammer, and that hammer must be cocked to fire.
DA/SA generally refers to guns that fire with a hammer, where the hammer can be cocked for the first time by pulling the trigger, and the following shots are single action because of the slide cocking the hammer.
Striker guns are generally single action, although some pre-cock the striker (XD series), some do so as you are pulling the trigger (Glock), some are in between. Taurus makes one that is DA/SA (or they did). There was a huge bruhaha when the XD came out in USPSA about just such a thing.

So, for the purposes here, SA = 1911, DA/SA = Sig (not striker guns), Beretta, CZ, Revolvers. Striker = Glock, M&P, XD, and a host of others.

2 Likes

No strong preference, really. Most-carried is striker-fired (Glock 23), but I can make all sidearms systems work for me–even single-action revolvers.

Bias alert–longtime arms hobbyist, I cast bullets and reload close to 35 calibers.

2 Likes

I went with striker cause it’s what I carry and shoot most these days. Ask me a decade ago and it wouldn’t have been close, it would’ve been DA/SA easily. I still enjoy my P Series Sig but I just cant run it as effectively as a striker fired gun if I’m being honest about it. Modern triggers and aftermarket options have closed the gap enough for me to enjoy striker fired guns as much (almost) as a sweet single action pull.

3 Likes

I think you just summed up my situation exactly. Great post!

I had to choose one. Ugh.
I like the striker fired, but I LOVE the SAO. My favorite is my Kimber Stainless Gold Match–best trigger ever. But it’s way too light a trigger pull to carry.
So I picked striker fired, because I really like my M&P as my best gun to carry. But the love for a 1911 is unrequited and unmatched.

3 Likes

I started with SAO (Colt 1911) while in the military. At times carried both 1911 and M16 and before that M14. I have all three now but carry Springfield XDs in 45 or 9mm in S&W.
Also believe Coke is better than Pepsi. I like flavor rather than colored water. LOL

3 Likes

I had a Pepsi for the first time in many years yesterday… Coke is the definite winner. Has 2g less sugar than Pepsi… even though they both are packed with sugar :joy:. I’m more of a Shiner guy myself :joy:

3 Likes

Not fair, i love them all! Lol But I cut my eye teeth on revolvers and 1911s. I would be interested to see if this is a generational thing bet it is. Thanks for the poll very informative.

2 Likes

DA/SA no safety. 1st pull 10 lbs. that’s the safety. Short reset trigger, SA pull is 4.5 lbs.
Don’t drink soda
IPhone

4 Likes

I prefer da/sa pistols. To me it gives the added safety of avoiding the happenstance of accidental discharge. My first carry pistol was ado a sig P250. I’ve since moved on to an IWI Jericho 941 and a canik TP9DA which has the decocker option. I also have a couple of wheel guns. The choices are many. I’m a coke fan too…:rofl:

4 Likes

Kinda like the walther stricker fired good triger after first shot…

3 Likes

@ScottH, actually, I like them all! I carry striker, simply because I don’t have to think about manipulation or weight of trigger pull. But each have their advantages. My 1911, when carrying, I’m cocked and locked. But when the hammer is forward there is no worry of accidental or negligent discharge. When I carry my wheel gun, I don’t have to worry with negligent discharge nor chasing spent cartridges. But I have to be mindful of trigger pull at each stage. With striker, I’m up, out and done. Now, we’re mindful of how we handle all of them, being sure that we’re not lax about how we regard any of them. I’ve just spent more time with strikers and have a muscle memory that is noticeable when I switch to the other modes. I hope I’m making sense…wow…lot of words. Tired now…lol

2 Likes

Agreed and makes total sense, training, awareness, and situation. It sounds like you have all bases covered and a nice variety of choices to pick from! :grinning:

I figured if the poll included checkboxes everyone would check them all. I like them all too. :shushing_face:

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I have used mostly 1911 style pistols for almost 50 years now . Used to have all types , but as I’ve turned more to self defense / concealed carry I found myself doing more oops during practice . Sticking with one style has reduced that to almost zero . The 1911 has many advantages over others .
A cocked hammer is easy to see and , in the dark , easy to feel . If it is cocked and locked , there is a round under the hammer . If the hammer is down , there isn’t . ( my rules )
A safety is always on when the gun is out of the hand ( grip and firing pin ) and a third ( thumb ) if cocked and locked . If knocked out of hand or dropped / fumbled during the draw , two will still be active immediately even if the thumb is released . Thumb safety can be rapidly moved as a fluid condition requires changes .
Holsters are easy to find and most will cover levers and triggers to prevent accidental discharges .
Sizes and caliber choices abound . Colt 1911A1 airsoft , Colt Ace .22LR , Colt / Walther .22LR , Browning 1911-380 , Kimber Micro 9 9MMs , Colt Defenders , Commanders , and 1991s in .45 acp , and Ruger SR1911 in 10MM just to name a few I own and carry .
All are night ready with tritium sights and Crimson Trace laser grips ( except the airsoft has neither , the Colt / Walther CT grips only , and the Browning a Armalaser GTO / FLX as CT does not make a grip for it .
Several have ambidextrous safeties as I’ve had shoulder surgeries which has required " other strong hand " carry now and then .
Chris

5 Likes

Welcome to the community.

I agree and have preferred SAO locked and cocked for many of the same reasons. You have a nice collection :+1:

3 Likes

I have a strong enough preference for DA/SA (preferably without a manual safety lever) that anything else would just end up being a safe queen.

3 Likes

DA/SA auto for defense, SA revolver for hunting

4 Likes

My EDC is a striker, and I usually practice with it. A few days ago, I shot one of my 1911s for the first time in a few months, and it was love all over again! :rofl::heart_eyes:

4 Likes