Practice with innocents down range

I like frogman tactical. But man when he walks around his son while calling out targets. Goes against everything I’ve been taught but he makes a good point. How to defend in a crowd.

5 Likes

For those curious to see what he means, start watching at 13:55

Basically one is live fire shooting at targets/threats, while the other slowly walks 360 degree circles around the shooter.

My armchair instructor wants to say…look the gun into the holster, every time…they mention it then don’t do it every time…and unhook that trigger finger, finger should be straight along the frame or slide not severely hooked and simply next to the trigger guard

3 Likes

I actually agreed with the statement, if you don’t know where your holster is by now…
I prefer to keep a situational awareness before and after holstering.
I carry at 4:00 IWB so if I look towards my holster my head is down and away from the surrounding area.
I know where my holster is after 20+ years. In the seventies I had to look because the darn thing had a flap!

I agree with you, ensuring that trigger finger is unhooked and straight!

2 Likes

I know where my holster is. But after shooting on the move I don’t know whether or not my clothing has shifted to get in the way of the holster. While shooting at the range a few weeks ago I noticed that the wind had blown the corner of my jacket into the holster. I might have gotten a nasty surprise if I had not given the holster a quick glance before putting the pistol back.

If the situation is safe enough for me to consider reholstering than it is likely safe enough for me to take a half second to glance at my holster before I slide the pistol into it.

5 Likes

It has nothing to do with knowing where your holster is. It’s all about a final check that your trigger finger is outside of the trigger guard and that your gun will go cleanly into the holster with nothing that can jam it in there or potentially even make it go bang as it goes in like loose clothing.

This is actually the main reason I’ll never wear a holster on any part of my body where I can’t see it.

8 Likes

It also appeared that the muzzle flagged his head at least a couple of times, very dangerous exhibition of that tactic of shooting around people.

2 Likes

First, his son is an adult who goes into the range with dad willingly.

He said his son has been training with him since he was a kid and is an instructor himself. Damn I wish I had a SEAL for a dad. I’m envious…

Anyway I watched the whole video and I saw absolutely NO unsafe behavior.

This drill by elite training standards is actually damn tame… I’ve been in drills with folks (including my wife) that are very well trained and I TRUST IMPLICITLY, where we were moving in a coordinated fashion and the ONE rule is don’t shoot in any line that’s less than 1 foot from another team member.

This type of training is VERY valuable BUT like he said, PLEASE DON’T do it!!! if you don’t know what you’re doing or don’t have the skills for it. But for folks that are committed to high level training this kind of stuff is basically mandatory. At the end of the day you want to prove yourself in the range as much as you can because you’ll fight like you trained and only rise up to the level of your training. And, If you’ve never had bullets whizzing past you how do you know how you’ll react…

I also agree with him that this would be a valuable (and fun) thing to do with an airsoft gun.

2 Likes

It most certainly is!

I never honestly knew how I would handle friendlies between myself and the enemy, or my target as it were until I went airsofting!

Bear in mind, I use my airsoft pistol (1911) to train live fire drills.

But combat is dynamic!

Live rounds coming at you, and friendlies moving in all directions.

Amazingly, I never once killed a friendly, though I did get killed in at least one game by friendly fire.

2 Likes

It’s not, at all, about knowing where the holster is. That’s like saying rule 3 is only for those who don’t know where the trigger is

2 Likes