If You Carry a Gun, Make Practice Count | USCCA

This past week, I was talking to my neighbor, a doctor, who told me about one of his patients. His story was a good reminder for regular firearms practice. The man had been hiking in a wilderness area in Central Florida when some wild hogs suddenly burst out of the woods. Naturally, he went to draw his gun.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/if-you-carry-a-gun-make-practice-count/
2 Likes

I will share a helpful tip that I do when I practice my concealed carry draw at home during my dry fire or laser ammo training. When I bring my hand high up on the back strap of the gun I make it automatic to place my index finger straight along the frame of the holster when I draw as if I already have a full grip on the gun. That way when the gun clears the holster your trigger finger will safely be in position and remain where it is supposed to go until you are able to get on target. Don’t even think about it. Do it. Practice it over and over the correct way until you can’t get it wrong.

2 Likes

What do you need to practice more?

• Trigger Discipline
  • Presentation from a holster
  • Sight Picture/Sight alignment
  • Rapid fire
  • Two shots (sight aquisition after each shot)
  • Assessment after the shot(s)

0 voters

1 Like

Those of us that are on this site are the lucky ones, we’re cognizant of and trying to improve our CC skills. I have never seen this mentioned anywhere but if you look at the video of the recent White Settlement church shooting in Texas you can see that when the shooter took out his shotgun there was a man in front of him that fumbled with his concealed weapon for a full four seconds before getting it out. He was the first victim to go down. His lack of training may have cost him his life.

5 Likes

When I taught martial arts, we drilled on techniques until it became a natural movement. You had to intentionally make yourself do it wrong. I would say this requires the same discipline and determination to achieve.
I think it also requires you to train outside the box. Both in techniques and carry methods. We won’t get to chose the time and scenario per our training.
As for the White Settlement shooting, I agree with you whole heartedly. It could have likely been over before the gunman got a shot off.

2 Likes

I did that type of training in Tae Kwon Do… And used one of the trained reactions (not defensively needed and not hitting anyone) - scared the crap out of me as I wasn’t expecting it to happen.

1 Like