Potential gun licensing legislaton and online forums

1st of all APPLE is not collecting data !!!
Google is though …
2nd , why the Cuss would you post pictures is Serial #’s of your guns !!! Stupid …

1 Like

As a FFL Dealer and Gunsmith, when I retire I must turn in all my Firearm Record Books to the BATFE. Does anyone think they just file them away? Sometime back, the NRA and several other like minded groups caught Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and the State Police, keeping records of firearms purchases through the PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System). The law stated that they could only keep said records for 90 days. Who’da thunk it!?

1 Like

What they did doesn’t surprise me in the least.

I do have to laugh a little though. Many people want to talk about not having big brother knowing everything they do but then they constantly post on social media, constant cell phone and credit card use. All that leaves a trail of everything you do.

I am not trying to hide so I don’t let it eat at me.

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :man_facepalming:
I’m sorry couldn’t resist…
Are you really believing in this? :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey Hi Welcome aboard!

You seem definitively positive that Apple is not collecting data on firearms and users. I’d like to see verification of your source because I know for a fact that they are cataloging firearms data and using their wonderful AI to enhance pictures that show firearms serial numbers at a distance as well as citing the meta data for location and facial recognition software to identify people.

As for posting pics of serial numbers quite a few people post pics of their guns on this board with no intention of showing the SN, it’s in the background, it’s too far away yet amazingly enough Apple has fond a way to synthesize those numbers from photo’s on PRIVATE photo collections. All you have to do is enter the serial number of a firearm you you took a picture of in your private photo’s search function and “poof” there it is.

I have a coworker that is an amateur photographer and he pays Apple for expanded storage on their cloud. He was going on about Apple’s AI to identify people in photo’s. He was looking for pics of a certain soccer player on his son’s team so he searched and got a wierd photo of his son at a camp ground. But there in the background 30’ behind his son and 3/4 in shadow was half a face of this kid covered by a table and Apple caught it. There were other pics of the camping trip one of which showed his son holding a shotgun on a trap range too far away to ever hope to resolve a SN on a phone or tablet. Me being me I asked about the gun. It was his fathers left to him. I asked if he still had it. Yes. I asked if he would enter the serial number into his search widget when he got home and tell me what he found. Guess what he found? The gun. This is some soccer Dad that takes lots of pictures of his family, birds and sunsets but there it was.

People hear AI and they think of Terminator. They have no idea what AI really can do and the current WAR to stay on top of it in the big tech companies. Photographic digital enhancement is only one small bit of it, add in alphanumeric recognition and you have something pretty special.

Cheers,

Crraig6

4 Likes

Adding my 2 cents to @Craig6 last post…
People aren’t aware about the fact, that posting the phone made picture of the palmar side of the hand taken from distance of 5 ft or closer is ENOUGH to copy fingerprints :zipper_mouth_face:
We are living in strange times… carrying the firearm can save your life… but carrying the brain in the skull seems to be more important.

5 Likes

THAT is something I never thought of. I guess it’s a good thing they don’t put cartoons in papers anymore because 70 years ago Dick Tracey had Apple’s business plan all laid out for them.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

The real question these days is, who is “big brother”. It used to be that term meant the government which may be one reason people don’t hesitate to post on social media, they don’t associate that with the government. Now that it’s pretty much clear that FB, Twitter, and the like are the government’s media machines, it may be time to rethink.

3 Likes

We want you to protect yourself the best you can - and that includes your private information. You’ll see posts where a phone number or email was posted publicly and then was removed by the moderating team to help keep your private info private (please flag public posts that share private contact info so we can remove the private contact info to protect the Community participant).

Our Privacy Policy is online for everyone to see.

3 Likes

May as well face it… if you ever used a credit card for any firearms related purchase… posted a picture of pretty near anything patriot related… said anything on any board anywhere about your beliefs or feeling or whatever that might be considered anti-progressive… at some point you will be approached by the progressives…

there is a pattern… has happened everywhere they left has gotten power… they’re after military personal that MIGHT be conservative right now with the latest stand down order… got the FBI involved to a degree even as you read this…

they CAN NOT leave you be… doing so risk their power… at it’s base…

4 Likes

Because IT people chat… one popular way of getting around retention deadlines is to use backups of computer systems. They make a backup of the data and retain it, after the deadline has passed for removing the records from the real time system.

1 Like

If USCCA is so concerned about our privacy then why don’t y’all allow me to change my username? I find this post extremely insincere. Let me change my username. It will help me feel less stressed. I’m actually thinking about abandoning USCCA because of this.

2 Likes

@KillJoy you’re able to change your username within the first 30 days. After that, we’re more than happy to change it for you. Here are the details for that:

If there are other changes you’d like to suggest for the Community, please let us know! We love hearing your feedback and suggestions. PM us @moderators with suggestions and feedback - or tag us in a public post so we are sure to see it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just figured out how to PM by mistake. I sent a message. The message explains why I want this.

1 Like

I never say what I own. But you have to know I own something or I wouldn’t be on this forum. That’s why I don’t join groups on FB.

There is only 7 Danas??? :anguished: :anguished: :anguished: :anguished:

Its not just internet, credit card companies such as Bank of America are turning over data based on purchase history. Even if they do not have access to exactly what a person owns, if a person has a CPL, you are on the list. Have you ever purchased a hunting license? If you have ever purchased a firearm and required a NICS check, you are on the list. All they need to know is if you are a gun owner, what you have at that point is almost irrelevant. I try not to post pics, but I don’t worry about it too much. I know I am on the list. Not only do I have a CPL and get a NICS check once a month, but I have a whole host of naught NFA items and a nice stamp collection. I have purchased hunting licenses all over this country and have competed in firearms-related competitions. I am a regular on sites such as GunBroker and other firearms-related e-tailers. I am also a member of a whole laundry list of 2A advocacy and hunting organizations which includes a life NRA membership.

Point is, if you are worried about it now, you are way too late. They already know enough.

6 Likes

I have noticed many Post their Firearms where the SN can not be seen or read. May be a smart move?

For what it’s worth…a right not exercised is a right you may as well not have. Be cautious what information you needlessly reveal publicly, but like others have said the chances are very high that if you have purchased firearms then you are on a list. Knowing that, you can either try to go “underground”, or you can actively support 2A rights. Maybe the best thing you can do to protect yourself is to live in a red county in a red state.

5 Likes

Sadly, all mine fell overboard while fishing in the ocean…maybe 4 miles deep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like