Potential gun licensing legislaton and online forums

Amen to that.

Good discussion. I would guess givin todays technology all of use here are on “The List”. All I can say is whatever time and resources they use to categorize the majority of us they will be deeply disappointed with what they find. A lot or resources expended for very little useful info. I suspect sort of like gold mining. I worry most about the false flags that may pop up. Show up with a SWAT team to investigate the old shotgun your Dad left you.

2 Likes

I only buy the insurance to get the awesome magazine :wink:

1 Like

Brian, being a Lifetime NRA myself, how do you feel about the NRA having to claim bankruptcy because of the lawsuits filed for using “our” money for family trips etc.? I just sent another 100 bucks for their last appeal, but I’m not sure I will send more funds in the future.

It’s important to note that the NRA did not “have” to file bankruptcy. The NRA is using bankruptcy as a business tactic to get out of New York. Rarely in the business world these days does an organization file bankruptcy because they are in danger of going out of business.

3 Likes

Actually, I am ok with them filing bankruptcy. In all honesty, they should have re-incorporated out of NY decades ago. @OldGnome is exactly right. But the timing of the bankruptcy might have some additional benefits. Part of the requirements of this bankruptcy will most likely include a change in leadership. I have held off on contributing lately as I am waiting for the bankruptcy to shake out and I want to be sure I know where my money is going.

Good morning all. My best friend and I used to document our range days, and when we bought new firearms on FB. We did that for a couple of years. Then all this anti-gun rhetoric started a few years back. The photos & posts stopped. We haven’t done that in a very long time for that specific fear. I believe that it is quite possible and may happen. All you have to do is look at the personal info given to the government by financial institutions after the Jan. 6th debacle at the Capital. Be careful and stay safe.

@KevinM will love to hear this!!

1 Like

Mine are so old, they don’t even have serial numbers. I reckon they’re worth a small fortune by now. Firearms are the only things I’ve never seen go down in value.

1 Like

As a general rule, don’t post about your firearms on social media. Nothing is secure, everything is viewed by those you don’t want viewing (think “fact checkers”). If you want to show off your latest purchase, do it in person. Personally, I wouldn’t even email a picture. Yeah, I might be overly cautious, but this admin is extremely anti-gun.

2 Likes

The only pictures of what I might own are in a safe and I don’t do social media. Guess they will have settle what they have.

…except these forums. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A lot of things don’t look good about the moves being made lately IMO, ie change of leadership in the NRA-ILA arm, relocating their offices, layoffs of tons of staff and looking to relocate permanently to my home state of Texas. Any time a business files for bankruptcy it doesn’t look good, no matter the reason.

The NRA has filed Chapter 11 (I think) bankruptcy which is for re-organization. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is for total dissolution. Re-organization allows them to move from NY to Texas as part of the plan. As far as social media, I don’t do it. (except here), Family communication is done with E-mail or snail mail and then only to keep up with how everybody’s doing, Not too worried about a knock on the door since “only” 30 percent of Americans own guns, according to the last poll I read on the subject which, if accurate and nobody lied, amounts to 108,000,000 gun owners. Not sure how many agents are in the FBI and BATFE but, being a government agency with a lot of bloat, I’m guessing that actual agents in the field and not in some office somewhere at between 25 and 50 thousand, many of which are “investigating” Russian collusion, nursing home deaths, spies, bank robbers, and such. So I’m thinking that citizens owning guns is not going to get a real high priority. If the governments record of getting guns out of criminal hands is any indication, I think we’re pretty safe. Think about it. How many hours and personnel would it take to go through the credit card records, tweets, pictures, and all the other stuff 108,000,000 people do, on-line and otherwise for the last 30-40 years and and on going today?

Yes, I think about it a GREAT DEAL. If I owned any firearms, I would never admit to it anywhere online (including here). And I sure as hell wouldn’t say what I owned. Why hand all your prized 2A possessions to them on a silver platter?

Although every single firearm sold in the last ~20 yrs in states like CA are registered with the state DOJ. Yes, a state gun registry, which is (until now) explicitly illegal at the federal level. Not just FFL sales are recorded, either— also Private Party Transfers (PPTs), because it’s illegal to transfer any firearm at all w/o a PPT in places Iike that (with very few exceptions).

And the new federal administration is going to try to turn the entire country even more restrictive than CA, NY, NJ, & HI. Kamala Harris was neck-deep into oppressive gun control as AG in CA, and she is drooling to do the same (or more) nationally. You’d better have a plan for what to do when (not if) confiscation begins. And for when things you bought legally are declared retroactively to now be illegal.

2 Likes

Your subject and comments are very timely. In our CCW classes we taught students to stay MUM about carrying and talking about what they had and how many. I’m more than positive that the internet and forums are a source of information that is monitored and that they are gathering it. From WWII: Loose lips sink our ships. Today: Loose lips give us your guns & Ammo.

3 Likes

Very good point. We do our best to ask hypotheticals (what would you recommend, what guns have you tried), but there are times we’ve asked what you carry… We’ll be sure to lean more toward the hypothetical.

And always feel free to answer with a hypothetical/or suggestion so as to not say exactly what you have. No one needs to know.

I talk pretty freely about the firearm I carry because of where I work. I’m a concealed carry instructor and work for Delta Defense/USCCA. It’s kind of assumed I have at least one firearm. (I only have one, all others were lost in tragic boating accidents (LOL))

4 Likes

My attitude is that the more we hide the easier it is for our enemies to assume that we’re just a small minority. I wish EVERY gun owner was a member of the NRA, USCCA and had big gun stickers all over their cars. I have my Christian fish and a metal USCCA plaque on my car and a 13 Star American Flag emblazoned with We The People tattooed on my forearm. I participate in multiple gun forums and teach “gun stuff” to many folks. My neighbors see me leaving the house with unmistakable bags of guns and ammo several times a week

No misunderstanding what I’m all about, and no desire for me to hide any of it.

8 Likes

Indeed a dilemma for many of us. I don’t want to be a target; I want to be a “grey man,” but that approach means my viewpoint can be invisible to those who think quite differently than I do.

6 Likes

I have seen the new ideas from government they want to make it law all gun owners have gun insurance. How are they going to enforce that without a list. Biden and his leadership will surly try to know all about gun owners and make up laws to do it.

2 Likes