Polymer 80 serial number?

If someone purchases a polymer 80 style “build your own Glock” kit, most don’t have a serial number. Do you have to somehow go through a process on obtaining one for it?

2 Likes

In geneeral the ATF would LIKE you to serialize your 80% lower. The assigning of a SN is not mandatory and is suggested should it become stolen. There are various interweb sites that will tell you how and how deep and where etc. If you build a personally owned firearm from an 80% lower or a hunk of metal or plastic the only REAL rule is that you can’t give it away and you can’t sell it. No sure how that works when you get dead as we all will some day. There is a bigger push lately to restrict 80% lowers and “Ghost Guns” as if a criminal is really going to go through the pain, hate and discontent of building a gun when they can get one on the street for $50?

I’ve been told that a friend of mine has several 80% lowers that are completed to 100% that are safely tucked away in a metal ammo can so that they can’t get out and hurt someone. I just wonder if the LPK that was tossed into the ammo can as well as the BCG, charging handle, buffer tube, stock, gas system and parts will suddenly form a coalition to form themselves into the likeness of an AR-15? You know how dangerous these “Assault Rifles” are.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Not true: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use
Also, I have not found anything on the ATF site about the requirement to put a serial number on a home-made firearm before it is sold.

This information on what is required/suggested when transferring a firearm in a private transaction: https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download It does not mention that a serial number must be on the firearm. I could find no citation requiring firearms previously manufactured for personal use requiring a serial number when transferred.

This site states that a serial number is not required when transferring your home-made firearm, but I could not find a valid link to the ATF where it is specifically stated, except when discussing licensed manufacturers: Are Firearms without Serial Numbers Illegal? - Pennsylvania Law Abiding Gun Owner Blog

2 Likes

@Dave17 I stand corrected. Thank you for that.

I was under the impression that you could not sell one once you made it. As I read the above and others you can make one but at the time of manufacture you were not INTENDING to sell it. What a slippery hole that is! :crazy_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

So there isn’t anything legally that prevents you from gifting/selling one?

1 Like

No, it is legal to transfer any firearm that isn’t an illegal firearm. For firearms covered by the NFA, you must follow the process for NFA items, even an NFA-covered device you personally manufactured. What you are not “allowed” to do is be in the business of manufacturing firearms for sale without a license.

The government has made following the law legally perilous, which further restricts our rights. I am sure one reason is to deter people from exercising their rights, with the fear of prison time for making an innocent mistake.

This is another reason we need to educate all those willing to listen and learn. When asked questions, I begin with an explanation of the firearm-related laws, not my opinion. I let the person come to their own conclusion based on their new knowledge. Typically they tell me how ridiculous the laws are, to which I agree.

Often I am then asked what can be done. I state, get active, contact your representatives, vote, and join at least one rights groups, and be active in it. VCDL membership exploded after the November election.

The Democratic leadership in Virginia then began a fear campaign against the VCDL and our rights, which only served to drive more people to join. We had about 7,000 members pre-election, we probably have over 30,000 now. I haven’t seen a recent count.

4 Likes