Poll: Should our military finally be allowed to concealed carry on bases?

If our military can carry weapons overseas to protect themselves or others, they should be able to carry here to protect themselves or others while on base. If the powers that be can’t trust them, then they should find some way to GUARANTEE their safety, which they cannot do. SO, let them be their own safety.

3 Likes

It’s a double edged sword.

Of course everyone should be able to protect themselves and loved ones, so yes they should be allowed to carry.

The rate of suicide in the military is extremely high unfortunately, and that may increase if allowed.

But you cannot punish people for others actions, so absolutely yes we/they should be able to carry.

4 Likes

that’s an interesting idea @Paul51 ! really though, I just want them to be able to save their own lives, like the rest of us.
welcome to the group!

3 Likes

To me the thought of our bases being no carry zones is embarrassing! The fact that a wacko can go on a military establishment and kill is just plain stupid.
Ok, I’m off my soapbox now.

3 Likes

Yes as long as they are Staff Sergeants (E6) and above. They should be allowed to open carry when in uniform and be allowed to concealed carry when not in uniform.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Norman13! Please forgive my ignorance of all of rank variations and requirements. Is there a certain amount of time someone has to be in the military to achieve an E6 or is it dependent on training?

4 Likes

An E-6 is a fairly senior rank, consider it to be middle management as a civilian employee. Rough time to achieve 6-8 years.

5 Likes

There probably the most trained individuals we have of course they should carry at all times to be available to assist public as needed

3 Likes

When I was in, when I went through Basic Training, it was called Basic Combat Training, I cannot say if it’s still called that or not but I can say I was happy when I was getting out. I was in 50 years ago, spent 18+ years in the Army. My company was one of the first to be issued M16A1 rifles. Everyone had to qualify even the Conscientious objectors. I don’t know if Conscientious Objectors are even allowed in the service anymore. Back during the Draft is when I was in 1969-1986. When you drew your assigned rifle from the armorer, which was everyday no matter if we fired everyday or not it had to be turned back in squeaky clean. As far as holding ammunition I know for sure a few did. You’re supposed to declare “No Brass, No Ammo” upon leaving the ranges, but like everything else it’s only as good as you are an honest person. I can’t say how this rifle behaves now but then if the rifle was loaded if you bounced the rifle on the butt it would fire, which was the method of their suicides by bouncing the rifle by the butt and standing over the muzzle. I personally was happy to get out when my 18 years was up. When I was back then in basic training I witnessed 2 basic training suicides. I don’t know the reasons for it but when weapons turn in for different days two different guys on two different days killed themselves. 50+ Years is a long time but maybe some of those statistics maybe what’s keeping the decision makers away from letting people carry a personal & concealed weapon all the time. I don’t know like I said and the people that have served know The military is going to do what exactly the military wants to do nothing will change their collective minds.

5 Likes

ARMED Forces! Nuf Said!

10 Likes

Late welcome to @Paul_W. Keep the faith.

3 Likes

I posted this on another offshoot of this thread topic but I don’t think it should be “rank” dependent.

That seems akin to the same argument anit-2A advocates make around not allowing individuals under the age of 21 not purchase a handgun or semi-auto rifle. If age is going to be the requirement to exercise that right, then we should not have anyone in the military under that age or allow them to vote IMO.

I think there is a legitimate argument regarding current standard (not specialized) training focuses on combat and a lot is not transferrable to civilian/stateside defensive scenarios. As I mentioned in the other thread I think an easy fix to this would be training for civilian/stateside defensive scenarios and make it a separate qualification. Once the qualification is achieved then they can carry on base regardless of rank/age.

Regarding maturity of groups of young people, you have that factor regardless of military or not (young people hang out at bars, concerts, sporting events all the time) and most times there are not issues. So why make base/post different from those civilian venues. Also, on base/post you have the added benefit of being surrounded by like trained peers and higher ranking NCOs/Officers and the heavy consequences Article 15’s and Court Martials for violations that would normally not be infractions of the law as a civilian. So the military should have the ability to establish good order and discipline.

Finally, my ability to have an opinion on this topic shouldn’t be contingent on whether I’m a civilian or veteran. Remember civilians are in charge of the military for a reason (think Rome), and our Founding Fathers wisely designed it as such. We’re not talking battle strategy but rather policy so I think it’s fair game (my only wish is that the civilians weighing in do some research prior to).

5 Likes

Absolutely. With some common sense exceptions. At least Officers and NCO’s who are normally assigned sidearm’s.

3 Likes

They need to be able to defend themselves! I never understood why they took them away to begin with.

4 Likes

As a vet, if I was still active duty, I’d want to be able to carry. I think if I’m protecting the US, I should also be able to protect myself as well.

7 Likes

I joined the day after 9/11. When I went through BCT, we had our M16’s but not allowed to carry ammo off the range. We carried our rifles everywhere but unloaded. I witnessed one suicide on the range. I think our CO’s should be allowed to carry so they can protect themselves and soldiers.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you had to go through that I really am. It’s something that sticks with people for a lifetime. Over the years in my second career I saw 200-300 suicides as a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer. I learned to block it out and see and forget about it. But it’s Christmas Day Night and I’m not here to talk about death or dying. Merry Christmas to all and to all a wonderful good night.

5 Likes

I might agree with mandatory carry on base, but differ with your opinion if that 18 year old is off base and inclined to illegal substances while armed. Let’s not stick our heads in the sand and pretend that 18 year olds in the military are abstaining from liquid refreshments or smoking other substances than cigarettes when given the opportunity.

4 Likes

Military & Naval All branches should be allowed to carry on their duty stations but carrying a concealed or open carry of a weapon by members will not happen. Understand first the government will not allow one branch the right to carry the others do not have the ability. The Secretary of each branch Army,Air Force, Navy, Military Secretary to the Commandant of the Marine Corps and farther up the chain and there currently is Mr Esper Secretary of Defense are all political creatures and none of them are going to take a career ending embarrassment if there’s an incident where a service member goes off for some reason. Secretary Esper is Secretary of Defense now since last July Self-Defense is one thing but trust the very top people don’t want their career to go down in history with an asterisk next to their place in history. So there you go, it’s not personal it’s political.

4 Likes

Carry and drinking, like driving and drinking, is illegal pretty much everywhere. I’m ok with that.

5 Likes