Poll: Should our military finally be allowed to concealed carry on bases?

Just read this, @Zee:

Is this you advocating for a Red Flag Law?:wink:

In my time in the service, we carried 24/7. It was really the suicides that would cause pause. And no, you could not usually tell in advance. Also, LOTS of negligent discharges, sometimes ending in a tragic death.

3 Likes

No definitely not. But I am advocating for the military to take care of its own. If someone is not emotionally fit to serve, they should be getting the help they need, or they should be excused from service and getting the help they need. The military has a job to do and anyone who is not fit to do that job should not be in the way and being a hindrance to those who are doing it.

And I think the military has an obligation (not always fulfilled) to take care of those that are harmed during service, regardless of the nature of the wound.

10 Likes

Just want to say this is why @Zee is the bestest. Always thoughtful and well reasoned responses.

5 Likes

Yes, at the least officers.

3 Likes

The Secretary of Defense is Mark Esper.

4 Likes

@Raymond Yupp I should have checked that when I posted that, I forgot but I saw him on the news later that day.

3 Likes

This should never have been taken away by Bill Clinton in the first place; and every president since should have reinstated our (service members) rights to carry on base and keep our firearms within our homes (base housing). If Trump is so pro 2A, where is he at on this?

6 Likes

I don’t know if the Pres has been approached on this point. I do recall, early in his administration, when the Republicans had the house, the national reciprocity bill had passed the house. One of the sponsors asked Trump at a White House round table if he would support the Senate taking up the bill. I recall the President said he would not support the matter at that time. So…I concluded the President was pro 2A only so far as to garner support from NRA members and others who were pro 2A, but not necessarily as much as I would like. After all, he was a New York City resident, surrounded by private armed security for most of his successful life. He has since changed residence to Florida. I doubt he has found the need to obtain a Florida weapons license. Now that would make some news, don’t you think? And so it goes…

5 Likes

Yes and it sounds like they are working in the right direction allowing the MP’s to conceal carry off when duty.

3 Likes

IMO, your Military I.D. should be your ccw. On base open, off base concealed.

6 Likes

I think military should be able to carry on military installations and also there should be an armory for those who carry concealed to check their weapons before they enter

2 Likes

Welcome Ronald

2 Likes

Former military Army, special units.
I think open carry and for said personal should have easier access to force mitigating firearms when lock downs occur due to active shooter situations.
Bases are large. You have MP’s. and many bases fall under municipal police. I.E Ft. Hood. Time, seconds, mean lives.

So this would be a force multiplier.

Concealed carry, I would say for select chosen.

Some of our brothers may have had their mental armor chinked, to the point where I would recommend more frequent evaluations, in addition to include social media scrutiny.

This way select superiors can assist and intervene in advance of any nefarious behavioral changes. Or said interest anti country or military, or just depression, pstd, etc…

We have the greatest men and women serving us. Give the range to protect themselves at home.

4 Likes

Agree completely! I was coming from a travel show & decided that is was a good time to shop at the commissary as long as we were driving right by the base. As I started up the lane to guard shack, I remembered I was carrying. No lockers or storage so I could get on base. Had to tell the guard that I needed to turn around - which meant that I had to go a few car lengths onto the base. They handled it nicely. But, after 20 years of active duty, I’m sure that it is just the base CO’s taking a “safe” position. Why should I have to travel for 4 hours to shop when I can hit the sales here & carry?

2 Likes

Of course they should be able to carry any where in the us

2 Likes

Worth a read and some research on your Representative. Plan on asking my Rep why he voted for this fecal-material:

Unfortunately, I know how my rep. would vote. :angry:

2 Likes

@STurgisSTeele There is an imbedded link in the article to check on your Rep. I noticed our fine young Rep from Texas, Dan Crenshaw, voted for it. I had hopes for that guy. Quite a few Republicans voted for it. Guess there was plenty of pork for everyone. Like vultures feeding off a corpse.

GOA is reliable. Why I choose them over the NRA. When you have a street fight you want to work with street-fighters.

3 Likes

I agree on the military being allowed to conceal carry on bases. I am a U.S. Army veteran and I can say that this would act as a deterrent for would be criminals at U.S. military installations. I live here at Fort Bliss, Texas and it is an open base, meaning anyone with a state issued ID can enter the base. I am sure you can see my point of view here.

3 Likes

We haven’t crossed paths before but glad to make your acquaintance @scorpionind65. My son-in-law is still serving in the Army and he is a good guy. I did a spell with Army Staff at the Pentagon. Interesting lot…

2 Likes