Politics at the Packer/Cowboys Game

I’m adamant about being respectful in the Community even if you don’t agree with the viewpoint of others.

Ellen’s response to the uproar caused by her sitting next to George W. Bush at the recent Packer/Cowboys game is a great example of why we insist on respect in the Community:

BTW - the Packers won.

What are your thoughts about Ellen’s response?

4 Likes

We should all be respectful of other and be respected regardless of whether we disagree with each other or not.

However…

I don’t know that I have that much faith in America still…GW (and almost every other former Republican presidential candidate) has become “beloved” now that President Trump is in office and I frequently hear the left saying “oh I disagreed with some of his politics but he was a good person and I respected him.”

BS.

I still remember all the cracks they made about him after 911, Katrina etc. The left treated GW was a repulsive stupid idiot who should not tolerated all during President Obama’s terms. However now that President Trump is in office GW is suddenly “adorable.” If Ms Clinton had won, he would still be that evil simpleton.

You want to test America? Set Ellen and Ivanka or Don Jr or even Donald next to her. Then lets see how she reacts and what comments come in from social media.

Sorry to be such a pessimist. But the left (particularly the Hollywood left) has not given me a lot of hope.

4 Likes

It’s sad that she had to issue a response. It shows a lack of civility and general care for human life in our nation. I’m not a fan of Ellen, but, good for her for standing by her “be nice to EVERYONE” statement.

5 Likes

I am in full agreement Chet
@45IPAC
People who seem to be backdating hatred are the problem

2 Likes

All the hate she’s getting just for saying be nice. Shows just how much tolerance there is.

I’ll be honest I haven’t nor will I take the time to read the hateful comments, so I don’t know which side is doing it but most of us live in the middle. Live and let live

4 Likes

I for one do not like Ellen, I have never thought she was funny and disagreed with many of her political views BUT what she had to say (and should not have had to) in her own defense of sitting next to GW was right on the mark and she has my respect for saying it.

8 Likes

I agree with you @DBrogue I don’t think Ellen is funny and I never watched her, she’s however right she picked her words well. I also don’t think Mr Bill Maher is funny, I don’t get his humor but occasionally he has brought up things that make sense, specifically about guns and second Amendment. I don’t think he’s funny, I don’t watch him never have. The last time I watched late night was the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was on the late show. Back when comedy was comedy.

2 Likes

I guess I should have fully disclosed…I used to be a pretty big Ellen fan and thought she was hilarious back when she had her sitcom Ellen and did her stand up routines. I haven’t seen any of her routines in awhile but I still think she was hilarious and excellent as Dory in Finding Nemo and Finding Dory. I even bought my wife one of her books (she’s an Ellen fan).

The reason I’m not a fan of hers so much anymore is less about her politics and more about her talk show. I just don’t like it or think it’s funny. But then I’m not much for talk shows in general either. I also tend to be a fan of her “random acts of kindness” but don’t like how she publicizes them on her talk show. So not a hatter, just not a fan (except for Dory, big fan of Dory).

Now Bill Maher on the other hand…I’ve never been a fan of his, think he’s a pompous donkey’s backside and refuse to listen to his show even when he’s trying to be fair balanced.

3 Likes

@JamesR Well you’re more up on things than I am James. I don’t get either one’s humor. Maybe it’s a generational thing not sure about that either however. Anyway tomorrow is another day. :raised_hand::raised_hand:

2 Likes

I can’t stand ED but this is probably the classiest bit I’ve ever seen her do.

2 Likes

I think it is ridiculous that people had an issue with it but her response is perfect.

6 Likes

What guy can? :grin::rofl:

Joking aside, we do need more civility in this world.

5 Likes

100% of what @DBrogue said. all of that.

3 Likes

Not a fan of hers, but I think that was a funny, and classy response. It is sad she had to do that. Why can’t we talk and socialize with people who have different beliefs? It often seems to me that conservatives are more tolerant than liberals.

How can we possibly resolve issues if we can’t even sit next to each other in a casual social setting?

2 Likes

Both persuasions have their strong unwilling to bend and those who are flexible and will listen to both sides of the matter. I don’t think it’s anything specific related to region because the person who comes to mind lives close to me. He believes that he’s right and everyone else is wrong no matter what is the hot topic of the conversation.

2 Likes

I beg to disagree, intolerants are on both sides of the aisle. It’s just easier to see those you don’t agree with.

6 Likes

Well I have known intolerant unbending people like that Dawn but it’s been a long time I have to admit. I stay away overall from people who have are of the persuasion of their way or the highway.
You are right.

2 Likes

How are you suppose to present your side of your ideas/ideals if you never talk to the people who think differently that yourself?

3 Likes

@DBrogue If you are addressing me, well at this stage of my life age 69, I don’t feel like I owe anybody anything. I did my duty as a soldier for 18 1/2 years; I served families of their deceased loved ones another long period of time as a Licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer; Now it’s time for me and my wife and our new baby on the way I’m so excited, this is my first child. So coming back on topic I don’t feel I owe anything to anyone. It’s me time now and my family.

1 Like

@Robert8 I was not addressing anyone if this is the post you are talking about.

I was referring to Ellen and her comments in the video. As I stated I don’t really care for Ellen but she gained some respect from me for what she said and how she said it.

3 Likes