Planning roadtrip from FL to Canada, looking for gun storage in upstate NY

I am planning a roadtrip from FL to Canada, but I know I cannot carry across the border. I want to carry during the FL to NY part. Any ideas where could I store my gun while I’m in Canada? Looking for upstate NY like Syracuse area.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Ghee !

I don’t know of any good storage places in Upstate NY. Just be aware that in some ways NYs laws are just as restrictive as Canada’s so be careful what you take to NY and how you transport it.

Canada actually does allow some types of firearms to be taken there for some reasons. There is a fair amount of paperwork involved and lots of regulations on how to transport. You may also have issues taking the firearms back through US costumes so make sure to read up on that process as well if you choose to take any into Canada.

Best option for leaving them in NY would likely be asking a firearms dealer there to store them for you. You would likely have to do a temporary transfer.

3 Likes

Good point. I did not think about the temporay transfer, I hope I would not get a wait period to get it back. Thank you for your input.

1 Like

NY says if you are not permitted in NY don’t let the sun set on you and your gun.

You can travel through with proper storage but you can’t spend the night!

BTW Welcome aboard @Ghee

You may transport a handgun THROUGH NYS provided the gun is unloaded, locked, you have your home state license or FOID and your trip THROUGH the state is uninterrupted. You cannot stay in NYS while in possession of your handgun.

The only exemption in NYS law (S265.20 of the penal law) allows someone to remain in NYS with a handgun for the purposes of exhibition or training, provided you have a copy of your home state license or FOID, a copy of registration / confirmation documents for the event, training or competition and transfer it unloaded and unlocked. You may enter and leave within 48 hours of such event.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever attempted to cross the Canada border with a firearm latley? A part of my trip will cross the boarder into and out of Canada at two different spots with 1 overnight stay in Canada. I have crossed the boarder a few times in the past unarmed without issues of ever being stopped or searched. I have not really noticed if they had some sort of mega x-ray that scanned cars lookong for that type of stuff as they pass through.

I know by far it’s not the smartest idea and probably risk of arrest if caught but I’m thinking to try my luck crossing unloaded, locked in case, within my suitcase in the truck of my car, hoping not to be randomly picked for a full search.

1 Like

HOPE IN ONE HAND AND SPIT IN THE OTHER SEE WHICH FILLS UP FIRST.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2022/10/21/freezing-market-handguns

I know by far its not the smartest idea. Just playing the odds. I have crossed the boarder around a dozen times most of the time using the Global Entry fast lane. Couple of time on the long slow lane. Everytime I have crossed its super fast pull up answer a question or two and on my way.

Im mostly concerned if they had some sort of technology to scan or x-ray vehicles as they pass which I have never noticed in the past.

Sometimes that would actually trigger or flag a boarder agent to require a search beside just their human intuition to feel something is suspicious enough to search.

IDK. From what I read, I heard of some horror stories of Canada confiscating all firearms - never to return them again. Kinda precious. Please do your homework friend. :sweat_smile:

If its just confiscate I would feel much better as I plan to bring a cheaper, easy to replace side chick that would not cause me much heartburn to lose. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just dont want any jail time or criminal record. It would be nice to carry something for the other 95% of my road trip.

1 Like

Man I feel you. Canada is like heaven to me. Terrific posts. Please let us know if you came up with a solution in NY state. Friend in NY? Buy them a grilled steak dinner for four? Gonna look into it myself.

1 Like

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2011/09/03/what-your-car-undergoes-at-the-border/

Ahhh… actually searching around I just found this article saying they do use X-Ray & Radon scans at the crossing since 9/11. In that case my chances to get caught are much higher. Probably have to leave the side chick at home this trip and stick with the old fashion expandable baton.

1 Like

I was trying to catch that frozen winter view of the falls and its also my shorter route. Since I read the article Canada is using X-ray and Radon that scared me enough to keep my record clean and not press my luck.

How is this solution if someone can help me understand Michigan purchase laws, I read:

" * Nonresidents must have a CPL or a license to purchase, carry or transport issued by their home state in their possession in order to legally carry or transport a handgun in Michigan."

The way I understand this is as along as I have a CPL from my homestate I am able to purchase in Michigan?

If this is true then problem solved, when I cross out of Canada into Michigan it sounds like a great time to purchase something new to add to my collection and rest of the road trip.

1 Like

Saying that’s creative does not do that justice? You got me thinking outside the box.

If no storage, then in a northern most state, find some FFL ranges/shops who’ll buy a firearm from you if your willing to part with it. That way you can CCW there while driving USA. I imagine you have a permit/CCL in your home state.

I regret I only averaged $200 per, when I had to sell. Then on your way back, if you try to buy one as you mention - I regret I don’t know those laws. I heard that outside of one’s state, FFL dealers cannot hand over a hand gun to you in sale, they are only allowed to ship it to an FFL in you home state. Also maybe check how long a wait if any outside states take. IDK. But study that, don’t take my word for it.

Thanks for your input.

:nerd_face:

If you are licensed in FL, I would not recommend bringing a firearm into New York State (or New Jersey, for that matter. 18USC926A will not protect you in this case, as it will as you drive through South Carolina. If you want to bring it as far as you can, I suggest storing it in PA. One place I know of is Pocono GunKeepers, north of Stroudsburg. There may be others. Another option that might work is arranging for an FFL or LGS in Northeast PA to keep it for you during the northern portion of your trip. Hope this helps. Safe travels.

1 Like

Do NOT attempt to bring a handgun, AR/AK or similar into Canada (or NY/NJ). You can Legally bring certain weapons into Canada for protection from WILDLIFE -NOT self defense, If you decide to do this there is a form available on line, you pay a $50 fee and SIGN the form IN Front of the customs guy at the border. It’s a hassle but doable. Follow Canada’s laws-you’re a guest there and you do NOT have a “right” to a weapon. Study and know the legal way BEFORE leaving home-you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle, money and possibly jail time by doing so.

2 Likes

Looking for gun storage in NY, I think it’s called Rikers, albeit temporarily! Then it’s Attica, Attica!

1 Like

2 Likes