Other than the NRA, what is a good 2A advocacy group to support?

With the unpleasantness of the last NRA annual meeting, and the questionable goings on at the upper echelons of the organization , as well as the strange legislative actions that they are supporting, I have little confidence in the NRA for protecting my second amendment rights. I belong to the Virginia Citizens Defense League, but I am looking for a national group to support. Any suggestions? Thanks!

6 Likes

Gun Owners of America. They seem to be doing a great deal both with lobbying efforts and in the courts.

15 Likes

I am also interested in finding a national organization to support other than the NRA. My membership with them is up for renewal soon and I’m probably not going to re-up. I want to contribute to an effective organization whose priority is protecting the rights of the individual. Suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Regards.

4 Likes

With out question Gun Owners of America is such a worthwhile organization. GunownersofAmerica.org
No compromise advocacy group. Look if politicians that hate the Second Amendment hate this group they’re doing something right.

8 Likes

NRA and NRA-ILA has had terrible leadership since Wayne La Pierre has been at his job. People who had or wanted BumpStocks for their AR15 can thank Wayne La Pierre they’re gone. He gave your rights away even though originally the ATF declared through different studies that BumpStocks didn’t turn the AR15 into a fully automatic rifle but Mr La Pierre to not have any pressure or problems volunteered BumpStocks to go away thus “he’s done his job” thereby giving another chunk of yours and my Second Amendment away into the ash heap of History. I’m a life member for many years or else I would not have renewed my membership either. But on the other side since the NRA and NRA-ILA are the biggest they’re taking the brunt of liberal bias thereby organizations like SAF and GOA do their business without much resistance.

5 Likes

That’s why I still support the NRA… they are still the big dog and if they are gone things are worse than if they are imperfect. In the meantime, we need to grow up other orgs to step into that big dog place.

6 Likes

Not to echo what has already been said, buuuuuuut…

They’re absolutely correct about the NRA taking the brunt of antigun hate. For me it’s absolutely a no brainer to keep them going as long as possible. They aren’t perfect but they are squarely in the limelight and they are keeping the antigun groups distracted so that the smaller groups can get some real work done.

6 Likes

Second Amendment Foundation (and sister organization The Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, aka CCRKBA) is another good and active gun rights organization. Alan Gottlieb is very aggressive and does an abundance of work fighting for 2nd Amend issues nationally, in the courts and political arenas.
NRA is still strong but they really need some restructuring, get their house in order and have to get back to being relevant without the “questionable financial activities” lingering about them. Need to spend more $$$ on fighting issues at the State level as that is where the current anti-gun thrust is happening. They lost their way for sometime now by letting state gun organizations fight their own battles and not supporting “fights” that did not bring them national publicity.

5 Likes

I’m an Endowment member of the NRA. I’m also a member of GOA, Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership (JPFO), NAGR, 2 Amendment Foundation, and of course USCCA. All of them are doing things to protect our gun rights.

7 Likes

I have to admit that when the man behind the white sheet (aka: The Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia) called a special session of the legislature to address “gun violence,” the NRA, as well as the GOA, was there with the Virginia Citizen Defense League to stand up to him.

4 Likes

This is a good one.

2 Likes

Everything the NRA and NRA-ILA does isn’t ignorant but many things that happen are. Retaining Wayne La Pierre is one of those ignorant decisions. His annual earnings are reported between $1M to $5M according to Money Magazine which is always a good source but point being that money could be used to fund other projects for 2A Rights and he could still take home a good salary from their membership each year. Charleston Heston never knocked down those kind of bucks when he was there and fast-forward Uncle Ted isn’t either. And Mr La Pierre is not a gun person he’s a business person and he’s not that good given the current state of affairs with the NRA/NRA-ILA. I told the last person who called for money when Wayne leaves I may start giving more money each year.

4 Likes

I am going to hold off on the NRA until after their suit against the state of New York is adjudicated. However, I will be joining the GOA.

2 Likes

I understand Daniel

2 Likes

I suggest GOA and “Knife Rights Org.”

3 Likes

I am also a member of the Gun Owners Of America. So far they seem to be a pretty good group .

4 Likes

@Pumpkin Like I said before any group that has deep hooks like GOA and that Politicians hate be assured they’re doing everything right.

4 Likes

Gun Owners of America is the no compromise real deal- check them out

3 Likes

I agree with Zee and Robert8… I still am a member of the NRA, they are the Gorilla in the room taking all the Heat… I also belong to the 2AF and Cal Guns.

3 Likes

Stay with whatever you like Walter @Walter3 later on you can always branch out to different areas or not. Have a happy night.

1 Like