Best 2A support organization? (NRA vs. GOA vs. FPC vs. etc.)

The main question: Which is the best organization for defense of the 2nd amendment. And by “best” I mean, who does the most work in regards to measures that actually have teeth?

The backgrounder for the question: I understand that simply having lots of law-abiding gun owners, and common use of many types of guns is itself a good measure. So, I don’t have anything against soft forms of outreach like marketing and advertising and engaging a larger number of people into the 2A community.

However, I am a military veteran, have a cousin who is a state trooper, and my wife and father are attorneys. From profession and association, I have become familiar with the exercise of power as it manifests in executive, legislative, and judicial forms. Law is language that is backed by force. Like me, some of you have been on the sharp end of the spear as a matter of profession. Like my wife and father, some of you have been at the handle of the spear, directing where it is pointed. The latter is more of what I am interested in.

Broad and deep protection of 2A rights rests on the kind of words we back with force, so it seems to me the most important job of any 2A organization should be in three main ways that are directly tied to levers of power:

1. Facilitating the passage of law supporting the 2nd amendment.
  2. Filing lawsuits in defense of the 2nd amendment.
  3. Facilitating judicial appointments of constitutional conservatives over activist types.

If I am going to send any of my hard-earned money to a group that does this, who can claim to do the most and the best vs. who can claim to hold a lot of cocktail parties in DC with no chance of moving the needle? How many lawsuits did FPC file, versus NRA or GOA? Are there others I should consider? I’d like to put some support behind a group that is aggressive, proactive, pragmatic, and above board.

So, who ya got?

3 Likes

I’m a member of GOA. They file numerous lawsuits against numerous anti-2A groups. From state level, to federal. A quick google search will bring up some of their greatest hits. They support the RTKBA in its entirety. No useless Fuddery(new word). Just standing shoulder to shoulder with us, the gun owners, in a quest to remove all infringements on our rights.

7 Likes

GOA is the only one I’m a lifetime member of, if that’s any measure.

I also have Second Amendment Foundation on my Amazon Smile, which gets worked plenty.

And I hear FPC does good things too.

5 Likes

etcetera outshines all of them

1 Like

GOA. I wouldn’t give a nickel to the NRA.

6 Likes

I belong to a few different ones. The NRA is going through a rough patch right now, but I still support them. GOA, best of the new 2A groups. IL State Rifle Assoc. for more focus on local 2A issues in my State.

5 Likes

I’m a GOA member. My smile.Amazon.com account benefits GOA.
I also make a small monthly contribution to the SAF.
However, I have stopped giving to the NRA since the WLP scandal.

2 Likes

I give to the GOA, NRA, and the 2AF. For all the anti-NRA crowd… if the NRA goes under, the left will see that as a victory and then go after the GOA, and all other 2A rights groups. You need to fight the main battle first… stop the left… THEN fight the NRA fight. I don’t like LaPierre either, he is a black eye on the NRA, but I won’t fight that fight now. And now, how many are going to ignore my NRA comment…

2 Likes

I am a member of NRA and GOA. I think both do great work.

4 Likes

GOA and 2AF

1 Like

When I got my first handgun I signed up for the nra so I could use the local range. Now I only send money to GOA and FPC. GOA sends pre-made letters for me to sign and send my representatives. I also write my own. They do have templates for anyone who wants to write their representatives online. FPC does go slightly over the top in their emails but I feel really comfortable giving those 2 money to fight the good fight.

2 Likes

This is the quarterly notification to inform you that AmazonSmile has made a charitable donation to the charity you’ve selected, Gun Owners Foundation , in the amount of $31,967.26 as a result of qualifying purchases made by you and other customers who have selected this charity.

3 Likes

Well played sir.

3 Likes

The GOA has gotten some money from me over the past couple years. Guess that makes me a gun rights zealot according to this biased article.

They keep mentioning in the article how the radical GOA is against even minor additions to gun laws to stop the tide of “gun” violence in our country. Yet they don’t mention how gun rights have been getting slowly eroded for decades in this country. Not to mention that none of these proposed laws would have any effect on the violence they claim to want to curb.

I don’t think it is radical to stand up against stupid laws that infringe upon the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens while at the same time giving armed criminals increased access to defenseless victims.

3 Likes

In fairness, many people think “zealot” is bad. One option:

What does it mean when a person is a zealot?

a person who has very strong opinions about something, and tries to make other people have them too

2 Likes

@Brad Exactly, and it goes both ways as in the Pro-gun control groups (anti-2A) are zealous as well. Radical anti-2A groups, zealot people. Zealot Biden Administration’s gun control agenda.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with someone trying to convince me their opinion is right. It’s when they try to take away my rights, freedoms and property based on their opinion that I have a big issue.

I know the anti self defense crowd’s argument is that guns threaten their right to live. But if that was the case the hundreds of millions of guns in the hands of law abiding citizens would have wiped us all out by now. My firearms are no threat to anyone who doesn’t threaten me, my family or my neighbors. Taking mine away won’t keep the anti self defense folks any safer from the violent criminals who are the real threat. Evidence points pretty clearly to the opposite happening.

As far as I’m concerned the anti self defense folks are perfectly free to leave themselves at the mercy of violent criminals. The only thing I insist on is that they don’t force me and my family to join their head in the sand stance. If that makes me a zealot then so be it.

3 Likes

Exactly freaking right

I bring this up with certain family sometimes, they are like oh it’s just a different opinion we can all still yada yada and I’m like, well, no, because your opinion (which is based on willful ignorance) is that men with guns should come and take me away and lock me up in prison to be * for a decade because of my “differing opinion” (belief I should be able to have an effective firearm for defense). That’s not just a “difference of opinion”

4 Likes

I wouldn’t pay much attention to anything the Guardian says, they’re about as left wing as you can get without the name of the newspaper being Pravda :wink:
I used to be an NRA member, but they aren’t nearly aggressive enough at pushing back for me, so these days it’s GOA. I guess that makes me a zealot, but I’m good with that.

4 Likes