Open carry

Please help define Open Carry - I do not have a Conceal Lic / But I want to go to the gun range and Practice

OPEN CARRY law states the gun needs to be visible on the seat or on the dashboard,

My question is can the gun be in the carry case or does the gun needs to be physically in View

Case or no Case

I would rather have my gun locked and in the trunk if I am transporting it to the shooting range

Would that be illegal

3 Likes

This website may be helpful in understanding state to state laws concerning “open carry”
https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/state-law/50-state-summaries/open-carry-state-by-state/

3 Likes

Check out our reciprocity map - it will have those details for you:

Just click on your state.

In most states, you can have your gun unloaded in the case in the trunk without issue.

3 Likes

Thank you Ben I appreciate the quick response I did see that page but it is still not clear on definition of visibility other than the gun must be on the seat or on the dashboard and visible,

But does that mean the gun in a case and visible or Gun expose and visible - that is where I am stuck at and every site or search does not specify

1 Like

@DavidM58 - what state are you in?

1 Like

Easy explanation is that OPEN CARRY means your gun on you can be visible, doesn’t need to be concealed, hidden.
It also means it can also be concealed. It’s up to you.
Just remember - firearm has to be transported securely with common sense. I don’t recommend to keep it on the dash or seat. Unless it is in the case.

4 Likes

Maybe @MikeBKY can shed some light on this question

1 Like

Delaware I am just trying to find out when transporting my gun to a store or a shooting range it just says I need it to b e visible / Passenger seat / Dashboard - does that mean in a case or exposed

1 Like

Thank you that seems the most logical - the damn definition does not clarify that it just says it needs to be visible on the seat or on the dash which makes little sense to me

1 Like

Thank you Dawn - the data is very vague

1 Like

Treat OPEN as your privilege that there is nothing illegal if somebody sees your firearm.
But all other rules remain the same - do everything to keep the firearm safe and not accessible to other person.
Holster or case - both :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you again - So far the most logical

1 Like

It is a shame, All this could be eliminated if the states just honored the Constitution.

2 Likes

@DavidM58 - I have a book by J. Scott Kappas, Traveler’s Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. It is a good compendium of the laws we have to be mindful of. The clarification for transport is that the handgun must be “in plain view” or stored in an inaccessible area such as the trunk.

2 Likes

Thank you very much that is exactly the clarification I was looking for

I just don’t want to break any laws regarding transportation to a gun shop or Shooting range

3 Likes

One more advice: check with your Range what is their policy?
My Range/Store doesn’t allow to carry inside the building. All firearms have to be cased.

2 Likes

Good Idea thanks

1 Like

I knew we had it somewhere! Vehicle carry is different from vehicle transport.

Check this blog post out, @DavidM58!

2 Likes

Thank you so much you guys are great I really appreciate the input

1 Like

This is my chance to thank USCCA for providing the page and staying current on the quick-change firearms laws nationwide, I keep it on a home screen for quick access.

3 Likes