Open carry

Thanks, @Jane2! I’ve shared your praise with Bonnie who is our laws expert here - I know she will appreciate the feedback!

3 Likes

Great Dawn, I am Happy that I join this group Very helpful, involved and willing to help and great views and resources - Thank you

2 Likes

I did a search and Delaware is an open carry state, which means you can carry, or transport, a firearm openly. Since you question rests with transportation, the easiest answer would be to follow the federal law with respect to transporting a firearm which would require that it be unloaded and stored in the trunk, as long as you have a trunk. Otherwise, it should be unloaded and locked is a case.

1 Like

Thank you Mike I appreciate the assistance and information

1 Like

USCCA peeps and resources rock. I’m just saying…

2 Likes

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

To me Open carry assumes the firearm is loaded. In many places open carry does NOT include transportation in a vehicle with out the person having a carry license/permit.

In most cases (check your local laws) if the weapon is unloaded in a case NOT accessible from the drivers compartment (sometimes locked is required) with the ammunition stored in a separate container/case (sometimes locked is required) and also not accessible from the drivers compartment you are good.

If I am going to travel (especially across state lines) I check state laws a few days before I am going to travel. If I still have questions many times a call to the state police can help provide answers or perhaps point you in the right direction to get the answers you seek.

A call to the USCCA can also help point you in the right direction to get the answers you seek.

2 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate the assistance

1 Like

The laws vary so much from state to state that the truly best answer is to ask people at the range what’s the way to go. Even LE can’t keep up with all the firearms laws in their own county. Talk to people who deal with it daily.

2 Likes